Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mirage24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 05:12 AM
    Smell coming from the flat below
    I live in a council flat on top floor and my neighbours below cooking really strong smelling food everyday.the minute they start I get the smell and long after they finish cooking smell is still coming upstairs and it lingers all day.I open the windows and it doesn`t help because as soon as I close the window I `ve got the same problem... I asked the council to sort this problem but they said there is nothing they can do... is there anything I can do to prevent it ? I can`t ask my neighbour not to cook... many thanks...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 05:32 AM

Hi, mirage24!

True, you can't ask your neighbor not to cook. However, have you thought about asking them that you're having a particular challenge and would they mind helping you with how to solve your challenge that you're having? If you ask something in that way, they will be less likely to feel challenged and threatened themselves and more likely to work with you to solve the problem.

Another possibility to this, is to investigate how the smells from cooking are vented away from the cooking areas of the flats. Perhaps there might be some vent above a stove that might be clogged or not functioning in another way properly?

Just some thoughts for you...

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foul smell coming from the tub [ 6 Answers ]

While I am here, I might as well ask another silly question that has been bothering me. From time to time when I flush the toilet or run the water in the sink of the bathroom, I will hear a gurgle sound in the tub and then there is an odor of sulfur or rotten eggs coming from the drain. I have...

BAD SMELL I have a very bad smell coming from my toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I live on a slab, older house & have a horrible smell coming from one of my bathrooms, also there are nats flying out of my shower drain. Do you have any idea on what this could be... I really don't have the money for a plumber... please let me know any suggestions... Thank You :confused: ...

Smell coming from shower [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a home, the people had a shower built into the basement. I am getting a fowl smell coming from the shower drain when I use the washer. I started to look into this a bit further, I found that the shower doesn't have a p-trap installed, nor can one be installed as the abs piping...

Where's the smell coming from [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, I'm new here and I just moved into an older house that my friend is renting to me. I moved in a month ago, but I just started smelling something about 2 to 3 weeks ago. At first I thought it smelled like gas, so I called the gas company. I noticed that the smell only occurred...

Smell in flat [ 1 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me. I live in a second floor flat and some funny smells have been developing since we moved in in March last year. First it started with a fishy smell when we have been in the bathroom for a while and now more recently it has developed into an occansional musky/eggy smell...

View more questions Search