Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alex932726 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2006, 04:55 AM
    95 Honda civic won't start until after 2nd click
    My 95 Honda civic won't start until after the 2nd click when the key is in the start position. When it starts, it runs fine and doesn't die at all. However, when it sits for a while, it behaves the same way again(cranks, but won't start, until after the sound of the 2nd click at which time the check engine light goes off as well). Previously, this problem had been going on for over a year. I would crank the car but it would not start until the check engine light goes off (which seem to coincide with the 2nd click sounding off). About a week ago it just wouldn't start at all (after I had crank it several times-it cranks but engine won't roll over), so I had a mechanic checked it out. But from what I can tell, he fixed nothing even though he charged me $400 for $65/hour for the time the car was at his garage. He told me that I would need to put the key in the start position and listen for the 2nd click every time in order for the car to start. He also suggested I may need a new fuel pump. This is working but I don't know how long this can go on because is not normal. I need to know what could possibly be the problem? I love my honda and has invested a lot of new parts into it(is only 130,000 miles). I hope you can can give me some quality consumer advice that may be helpful in resolving this problem. Thanks in advance.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jul 23, 2006, 02:12 PM
    You do not have a problem with your car at all. This is perfectly normal behaviour. Check engine light goes off when the car is ready to be started. Do not try to start it before it goes off.
    kerryb3d Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 07:00 AM
    I'm having the same problem. My 95 Honda will not start if the engine light doesn't go off(the second click). It my take up to a half an hour to get the engine light to turn off, but once it does the engine fires right up.:confused:
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2006, 07:59 AM
    kerryb3d, your ECM may be failing. If your computer does not provide the proper voltage to the MAP sensor, the Check Engine Light will stay on, you won't get the main relay's second relay to click, and the car won't start. Perform the following simple K-Test:

Disconnect the MAP sensor connector, turn your ignition ON, and see if you have 5 volts between the MAP sensor connector's right female socket (+) and ground.

If the K-Test doesn't indicate a problem with your ECM, then the culprit is likely your main relay.
    brokepimp321 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 04:39 PM
    Main. Relay very commen problem in honda
    brokepimp321 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 04:41 PM
    It's the main relay under the dash on the driver side common problem in hondas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Civic won't start [ 12 Answers ]

I have an '82 Honda Civic that won't start. With key turned to accessories and wipers turned on, when I move the positive battery clamp the wipers go on and dash lights as well. I turn the key to start and everything goes off. Turning the key back to accessories again, no lights... only if I go...

95 honda civic won't start, help! [ 38 Answers ]

My 1995 civic will not start. I have never had a problem with this car before. The battery is fairly new; only about a year old. It cranks just fine with a normal starting sound, but nothing else happens. I've checked all the fuses and they're all fine. I thought it was flooded, so I tried starting...

Need to start my Honda Civic [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 93 civic and it decided to stop working the other day, doesn't even try to start. I tried jumping it but that does't seem to work. I just checked this website here and realized that there are about 7-8 different things that it could be, and I would probably have to take my axel off to...

98 Honda Civic EX won't start [ 3 Answers ]

Car sat for 7 months while I was in Iraq, was started (not driven) maybe twice in that 7 months (the individuals have been spoken to that where supposed to maintain it for me). Replaced battery when I returned and toped off fluids. Car ran but acted strange the first 2-3 times I drove it. Gauges...

91 Honda Civic 1.5 won't start [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, so now the ignitor and the coils have been replaced and the car still will not start. My neighbor, who is a Honda mechanic, says that my only other option is to replace the computer... IS THIS TRUE>>?? :(

View more questions Search