Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sec1023 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 10:22 PM
    We are married and no custody order,can I move with the kids out of state?
    My husband and I have been legaly separated for almost 3 years and have agreed to do rotating custody which he broke last year for 3 months when he left the state but now he's back and I want to move out of Florida to be near my family for help and a job. Am I allowed? We have no divorce decree or pending case. What are the legal ramifications?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 05:42 AM

If there is no custody agreement in place you are free to do what you choose. However, if he files for custody before you move then it becomes another issue.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    If there is no custody agreement in place you are free to do what you choose. However, if he files for custody before you move then it becomes another issue.

- And OP is legally separated. This should have been covered in the Separation Agreement (at least it is in NY where the Separation Agreement is incorporated in the divorce).
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 06:56 AM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    stevetcg agrees: I was basing my answer on the assumption that there wasnt a custody agreement in place because if there were the question would be covered in it..[/QUOTE]

Point taken - what State?

I'd also ask OP if child support is covered in the agreement - if so, it should be a package: support/visitation/custody (again, in NY and in a perfect world).

Either party (after the appropriate time frame for the particular State) can simply file for divorce and incorporate that same Separation Agreement, no new negotiations, so with competent Attorneys, this should have be covered.

(Note the use of the word "should" - :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2009, 07:46 AM

You need to read your separation agreement carefully. Since that agreement was ratified by the courts, you can't do anything to modify that agreement without court approval. Even if your husband broke it first.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 08:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sec1023 View Post
    my husband and i have been legaly seperated for almost 3 years and have agreed to do rotating custody which he broke last year for 3 months when he left the state but now hes back and i want to move out of florida to be near my family for help and a job. am i allowed? we have no divorce decree or pending case. what are the legal ramifications?
    1) don't go anywhere till this matter is settled.
    2) you need to go back to court and finish this.
    3) Should you leave and he allows it. Which he might and then its his turn for visitation keep in mind that without orders of the court he could keep the children.
    4) you must have something pending because you filed for legal separation and depending on where you live there may be time limits on how long that can last.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married Man Seeking to Move out of State with My Kids? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I have been physically, however not legally, separated for roughly 14 months now. We currently live in the same city but have different residences. Initially she wanted a divorce but never went through with it. I don't necessarily want a divorce but after finding out she was cheating on...

Parents never married, no custody order. Father won't return child [ 2 Answers ]

My son is 12 years old today! We are originally from Indiana. Moved to California 3 years ago. My son stayed in Indiana for a year with his paternal aunt while I got on my feet here. His father was in prison from the time my son was 4 months old until about 5 months ago. A couple of days prior...

Leaving State with Child without Custody Order [ 3 Answers ]

My question is complicated. My child's father and I separated. The child stays with her Dad during the week because her father caused me to be in such financial turmoil that I have to work 2 jobs to pay the bills for the house and I can't afford daycare. I have my daughter on the wekeends and...

Moving with my child out of state with no custody order. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I I could take my daughter to Washington considering me and her father have no custody order or visitation.. Is there anything he can do in stopping me if I just bring her with me?

Emergency custody order due to the mother of my kids doing meth [ 1 Answers ]

I have 5 kids with my ex, we weren't married, she has full custody till I take it to family court. Can't afford a lawyer right now. Their mother is doing meth, I have police reports stating this, and one states that the children were there when their mother came home high on meth, she beat up her...

View more questions Search