Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmrao Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 05:43 PM
    What is my staus for filing taxes?
    Hi,

I was in US for 330 days in 2006 and 300 days in 2007 as an F1 student. I was in US for the whole year in 2008. But from January 2008 to September 2008 I was on OPT and from October 2008 my Status changed to H1-B. So do I have to file the taxes as an Resident Alien OR Non-Resident Alien? Will appreciate your help

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 01:04 AM

If you are single, you will file non-resident tax return. For OPT income, you will get treaty deduction.
    If you are married, you have other options.
    mmrao Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    If you are single, you will file non-resident tax return. For OPT income, you will get treaty deduction.
    If you are married, you have other options.
    Thanks, I'm single, but I qualify for substantial presence test ( 360 days in 2008+ 1/3rd of 2007=100+ 1/6th of 2006=50, total=510 days, and to qualify it should be only 183days)So please let me know whether this is correct or not (i.e whether the days which I stayed on F-1 will count for substantial presence test?). Will appreciate your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 07:14 PM
    MMRAO:

The days while on the F-1 visa are "exempt" from counting for the Substantial Presence Test, so your SPT days are actually 92 days for 2008.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K early withdrawal and filing the same on NRA staus [ 7 Answers ]

I'm living in the state of Arkansas. Planning to do an early withdrawal of my 401K in the year 2009 and move to India. For that year, I'll be living in India and I'll have no other income than this for the whole year. I'll not pass the substantial presence test and so tax status will be...

B1 (75 days) + L1 (135 Days) + Family = Filing Staus? [ 7 Answers ]

I came to US on L1 visa (Company Transfer) with my wife (non-working) and son (Infant) on L2 Visa on Aug, 11 2007. Located in Dallas/Tx with no state tax and getting US salary with tax witholding based on M5 status. My total stay in L1 visa is <183, but stayed on B1 Visa in Feb-May 2007 for...

Filing taxes after 2 years of not filing [ 3 Answers ]

I have not filed taxes for 2 years (2004, 2005) and I do not have the requisite documentation from those years. I do know that the IRS owed me a refund; I did not owe them any taxes. How does one file without this documentation? And do I need to file these years before I file for 2006?

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

Filing for 2004 taxes and 2005 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just received my W2 from my employer and there were 2 W2's. One W2 was for the wages of Dec 2004 (since the employer pays 1 month delayed salary) and the other one was for Jan - Nov 2005. I want to know if I can refile my 2004 taxes since I just got my Dec 2004's W2. If I add that...

View more questions Search