Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deedee3333 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Can Social Security garnish their own checks?
    I am about to file for S.S. benefits at age 62. I was told I owed S.S. money some years ago. I filed a waiver and was exonerated from paying some $9,000. I just received another form-inquiry from S.S. to complete asking what I did with some $5,000. This money was covered under the waiver I had filed. Can S.S. garnish my checks or a portion thereof?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 05:23 PM

If you can not prove you don't owe them they can take it out however they see fit as overpayment.
    They are just now telling me I owe $4,100. For 01 to 04 and I have no idea why. You have to appeal it and prove that you do not owe them.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee3333 View Post
    I am about to file for S.S. benefits at age 62. I was told I owed S.S. money some years ago. I filed a waiver and was exonerated from paying some $9,000. I just received another form-inquiry from S.S. to complete asking what I did with some $5,000. This money was covered under the waiver I had filed. Can S.S. garnish my checks or a portion thereof?

Yes, they can. They usually take it first and then you fight them. I'm amazed that they "erased" the $9,000 debt. That doesn't happen very often - at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can PA child support garnish social security disability [ 4 Answers ]

If I receive social security disability and it is my only source of income, and puts me below the poverty level - can child support garnish for the $15,000 I owe in arrears? I just got them to modify to stop accruing monthly payments since I haven't worked in over a year, but once I get this money...

How much can IRS garnish from Social Security? [ 17 Answers ]

I was wondering how much the IRS can garnish from my social security check? I owe back taxes and they just sent me a letter stating they are going to take almost 45% of my social security check. It is going to leave me unable to pay my rent and utilities. Can they really take up to almost 50%. ...

Can court garnish my social security for alimony in Florida [ 2 Answers ]

I am in contempt of court because I did not show up for a commitment hearing. Can the court, in Florida, order the social security administration to garnish my benefit and, if so, for how much?

Can Child support garnish my social security and ssi [ 1 Answers ]

Child support started to garnish my disability checks, can they do that

Attaching social security checks [ 1 Answers ]

Can a credit company attach your social security disability check?

View more questions Search