Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0eyvind Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 11:32 AM
    New computer + AVG monitor = No signal?
    Hello

About a week ago my old PC (a 2 and a half HP desktop) stopped working. There was no longer a beep at startup, no signal to my AVG-monitor (An even older one, 5 years old I think. Unknown brand 15" - so small and old).
    I was about to buy a new PC anyways, so i went out and purchased one. Now today when it arrived i was very happy with my purchase. A friend of mine has a little older version of the same PC (The new is an Acer M5201 with an AMD 9650 processer and an ATI Radeon 3850 graphic card.

I plugged in and, inside i had a little fear of that the display wouldn't show anything. And my fear got real. It didn't even say No Signal - there just wasn't any.
    I've tried with my brothers perfectly working newer monitor (No DVI though) and the cable of his too. Same thing happened, though when i removed the cable while the monitor and PC was on (Not quite smart after thinking of it. Was to frustrated to think properly at the moment) it started display "Check signal Cable" or something like that.

The MB has a VGA slot, and on the graphics card there is two DVI inputs. I don't have a DVI monitor at home, so I can't check that. I'll drag it to the store tomorrow, and tell them about this, but it would be great to get help at home, and not needing to go there. That's why I post that.
    If there's any information you need, which I didn't list please ask.
    I would appreciate any help so much, so ANY input is appreciated. :confused:
    Thanks in advance, 0eyvind.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 01:17 PM

Best bet would be to take it to the store where purchased and explain what you did to set it up and there was no display on your monitor - make sure that you note that you hooked it up to a known working monitor - they will probably take it in back and hook up to one of their monitors to confirm or not and let you know what's up

Of course if they get no display on their monitor they would exchange the unit for another one.

To feel at ease at this point, I would ask them to hook it up to a monitor for you in the store as you don't want to get home and deal with same hassle again

This way you know you are leaving store with a Working PC

Jan 6, 2009, 04:11 PM

Thanks.
    I had in mind to drive down there tomorrow, with my current monitor so I could see that the advice they might've given me was the ones I needed.

But when I was about to pack it all out, I discovered something.
    At first I only saw a HDMI->DVI adaptor, but under all the other mess was a VGA->DVI adaptor. I plugged it in, and it worked perfectly.
    I think I must've lost it in the excitement :P

Now I have on problem, and I just wanted to make sure before doing anything stupid;
    I have no sound. I checked the Realtek driver, and tried to update it. I downloaded TeamSpeak, and when I opened it said "No sound driver".
    The obvious would be to get a new driver, but I just wanted to make sure before making any stupid move.

Thanks for the tip, and thanks in advance.
    0eyvind,
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 04:15 PM

So you checked device mgr to see if any yellow marks present?

Jan 6, 2009, 04:27 PM

Yeah, there was 3 things appearing. Two listed sound devices (the same, not very specific) and one with Realtek. I double-clicked it and updated the driver.
    But won't be able to do anything else before tomorrow.
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 05:06 PM

Anyone that has yellow marks next to them, right click on them and choose uninstall and say OK - close all open windows and restart PC

When PC restarts, windows will find these devices and attempt to load appropriate or generic drivers for them

After back in windows, check device mgr again to see if they came back or not

If they come back, post the exact names of the devices that have a yellow mark next to them

In the meantime, download and run this
    Unknown Device Identifier - Freeware Download

If devices have yellow mark, this will attempt to identify them and offer you a webpage to download the proper driver

Jan 7, 2009, 03:18 AM

Nothing yellow in Device Mgr or the Unknown Device Identifier.
    I've tried my speakers and my headset - still no sound.
    When I open WMP and play a CD - Then I open the sound manager (Where I can turn up/down and mute for several programs) it only says like I get sounds when I turn it up. It's usually where the "beep" kind of sound comes. But nothing still.
    It's a new PC, so it should work perfectly /;
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 08:26 AM

Double click on speaker next to time and then click options then properties - where it says mixer device, see if there are other options there to choose from and try other things listed there and click OK and try sound again

If this does not help post back if you are using vista as the process may be a little different
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Jan 7, 2009, 02:28 PM

Are the speakers plugged into the correct port? Is there a mute button on the speakers? When you click on your sound options, is 'mute' un-checked? What is your operating system?

Jan 7, 2009, 03:21 PM

Uhm.. Today it suddenly started working. No idea what happened, I didny change anything at all.
    But thank you so much for all the help. My PC is now healthy (;
    I will get back if I gt mor poblems.

Thanks
    0eyvind

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Computer Build No Monitor Signal [ 1 Answers ]

I just finished building a computer (well I guess "finished" is going a bit far considering) and I'm getting no monitor signal. The parts I'm using are: CPU: AMD Phenom 9850 Black Video Adapter: ASUS EAH3870X2 Mobo: Jetway HA04-EXTREME AM2+ RAM: 4X Corsair 2GB DIMMs I know the monitor works...

New computer, no signal to monitor [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys, I just received a new PC that I ordered, when I connect it to my monitor I get no signal. The computer I bought is this http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/343629...searchsource=0 The monitor is a HP w19. All the cables are secure and connected, I get no post beeps, everything...

Monitor flashes "no signal" when computer is turned on [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a new power supply and now my monitor will not come on. It quickly flashes, "no signal" once then nothing. Everything worked fine until the power supply went out.

Computer is on, But Monitor display "No signal" [ 5 Answers ]

I am running on Window 2000 Professional OS, When I not touch the computer for 10 or 20 minutes(the time is not fixed), the monitor goes off and display "no signal". Then I cannot do anything except turn the computer off by press the computer power button. When I turn on the computer again,...

Monitor says No signal - New computer [ 6 Answers ]

hey I'm new to these forums but I'm having a rather troubling problem. About 2 days ago I bought a new computer from my local computer shop, its made up of : Asus M2N Sli Deluxe motherboard Legend DDR2 667mhz 512mb ram x2 Nvidia 7950GT AMD Dual Core 4200+ AM2 Western Digital Sata 80gb Hard...

View more questions Search