Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowbalz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 09:22 AM
    Draining a house for the winter
    I want to close my house for the winter. I have turned off the power to the well, drained the hot water heater, empied all of the toilets and their tanks, opened all of the water taps,put anti-freeze down all drains. Question is, I have a dishwasher,washing machine,and a jacuzzi bathtub. Is there a special way to drain them? I ran anti-freeze throu the dish washer and the washing machine but that doesn't help me with the water pipe that feeds the water into them. I also have a cold water tank. Did it drain back to the well on it's own, or do I have to drain it ? Also do I have to turn the power off on it ?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 7, 2009, 01:58 PM
    Don't forget to dump enough anti-freeze in the toilet to flusg out the water in the trap.
    I also have a cold water tank. Did it drain back to the well on it's own, or do I have to drain it ? Also do I have to turn the power off on it ?
    You have a check valve that prevents the water from draining back down in the well.
    Drain the tank and shut off the pump. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replumb house for boiler - too cold in winter. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We have a 50 yr old home with a boiler that we replaced when we moved in (2003). If it is below freezing outside the inside temp will barely get above 64. And the upstairs (cape cod design) will be freezing. We have to use electric heaters up there. Any idea how much it costs to replumb the...

Bad Smell in my house during fall and winter [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I've lived in my house for 4 year and every year around fall, winter, and spring I get a bad sewage smell in my house. I smell it more at night time and in the morning. When I turn the heat on in my den it appears to smell worse. My house type is cape and was built in 1951 and uses a...

Selling house: turn off water heater/water in winter [ 1 Answers ]

I am in mid-Michigan where winters can be long and cold. I am selling a house, which is vacant, and I am looking for advice on if I should drain the water pipes and turn off the gas water heater during the winter months. I would rather not pay high gas bills to heat water that I am not using. The...

Bathtub draining slowly , tried to fix, not draining at all now [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my first time here. My upstairs bathtub was draining slowly, a plumber here to snake the cesspool suggested something. First off, it is the big one piece fiberglass shower/tub fixture. I think it's a really common & standard setup, nothing fancy. I took the sifter plate off the...

30's house, washer draining problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My washing machine is overflowing from the wall, because, according to the plumber, the 2" PVC that is connected to the old 1 1/2" galvanized pipes doesn't leave enough room to drain when the pump starts on the machine. He thinks the galvanized pipes are probably mostly blocked. He also says I...

View more questions Search