Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ericrichards Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 11:18 PM
    Must R1 visa holders pay Social Security and Medicare Taxes?
    Hi,

I am an R1 Visa Holder. My employee withholds Social Security and Medicare taxes. I have been told that since I am a non-resident, I may not be required to have these taxes withheld. Is there truth to that? Where can I find it in the tax code to show my employee?

My employee has been withholding these taxes for the last few years and I have been filing my taxes like a regular US citizen. If it is correct that I am not required to pay these taxes, may I request the money back from the previous few years?

Are there any special forms that I should file as part of my tax return or should I be continuing to file as a regular citizen files?

Truly yours,
    Eric
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 11:59 PM

Yes, this is religious worker visa. You must pay FICA taxes. Your days in the U.S. are not exempt from residency.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social security card for F2 visa holders [ 2 Answers ]

I am here from India on a F1 visa and my wife and son would be here on a F2 visa. Are they required to obtain a social security card once they arrive in U.S.

F1 to H1B Social security and Medicare Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am from India. My visa status changed from F1(OPT) to H1B on Oct 1 2007. It took me some time to realize that I need to start paying my Social Security/Medicare taxes. So I started paying these taxes starting from Mid Nov 2007. My W2 only highlights the wages of Nov and Dec 2007 as the wages on...

H2B visa holders pay social security tax? [ 1 Answers ]

Do H2B visa holders pay social security tax? Can they be refunded for social security tax since they have no access to these public funds as pension etc?

Do F1-visa student pay social security and Medicare Taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I am F1-visa student. Currently I am working using CPT program. I leave in US for two years. And I am working the same company for two years. Starting from January, 2007 they ask me if I am a citizen for tax purpose and have to pay social security and Medicare taxes. They also sent this link to me....

View more questions Search