Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lucy1960 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 08:32 PM
    Pressure relief valve
    I accidentally hit the valve release with my arm. No it won't stop dripping. I did not open it to where I had to close the valve. How can I get it to stop?
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jan 5, 2009, 09:10 PM

You will need to replace the valve.
    They just screw out. And are available at any hardware store.

To replace, just shut down the power, cut off the water supply.

Remove the old valve, wrap the new valve threads in some telfon tape, or pipe dope, and screw in in, tighten.

Open a hot water fixture, and turn on water supply, allow tank to fill (will be evident when water comes from the fixture)

Shut off the fixture and inspect the valve for leaks.

Turn water heater breaker back on (resupply power)

Enjoy!
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 12:31 AM

Are you talking about the water heater T&P valve or some other pressure relef valve.

If it is the T&P valve I agree with andrew to replace it, but some time a little dirt gets stuck inside the T&P you can do this before replacing it, close the cold water shut off valve drain some water from the water heater open the T&P valve and open the cold shut off valve let the T&P drain a little water close it and see if it will stop leaking then you will be OK if not you need to replace it as andrew says see the image below, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Temperature Pressure Relief Valve [ 7 Answers ]

I am a new homeowner and need to manually operate the temperature-pressure relief valve on my water heater. How long do I open the valve for? Will water come out of the pipe? I'm new to this. Thank you, Helen

Leaking pressure relief valve on h/w tank [ 4 Answers ]

The pressure relief valve keeps leaking. The h/w tank is about 9 months old. The problem started when the main line broke. The township had to turn my water off and when they fixed it and turned the water back on is when it started. Any help towards a solution is always appreciated. :)

Pressure relief valve leak [ 1 Answers ]

Have a gas water heater for 8 yrs and trouble free. There is some water leak through the pipe connected to the pressure relief valve, which I never observed before. How would I know if I need to replace the valve. I have read some responses (not to my questions) from other members indicating the...

Extending pressure relief valve [ 2 Answers ]

We are selling our house and the buyers did the home inspection. We have been told that the extending pressure relief valve to exterior of garage has a slight leak from pressure relief valve. What is that and how much might that run me in Columbia S.C. to fix? jamieo29

Pressure relief valve [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a State Select brand water heater (40 gallon) which is about 4-5 years old. It recently has begun to leak from the pressure relief valve, and is leaking a lot:( , especially after taking a shower... Is this a simple fix of replacing the valve or something more serious? Any and all...

View more questions Search