Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eevie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 06:43 PM
    Which debt collector can garnish our taxes
    How can we find out if when filing taxes it would be garnished. And what debt collectors can garnish our taxes.
    Linnette1973 Posts: 36, Reputation: 0

Jan 5, 2009, 08:59 PM
    I have only known government agencies to take your tax return such as for student loans, IRS for taxes owed and state unemployment and welfare agencies. You can call the IRS helpline at 800-829-1040 and ask them to check your name a ss# to see if any agency has a lien to take your tax refund they will tell you I speak from experience Good Luck
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 01:45 AM
    It is possible for a private citizen or debt collector to garnish the refund through the federal courts, but it is very difficult.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can Debt Collector Garnish Husband Wages For wife's Debt [ 3 Answers ]

Prior to even meeting my husband I inccured a credit card debt which I have since defaulted on. I just recently received a summons in response to this debt and am unable to pay the amount in full. Are they able to garnish my husbands check for a my debt as that I am a homemaker with no income?

How long can a debt collector attempt to collect a debt? [ 2 Answers ]

I incurred a credit card debt that was turned over for collection in 2000. The debt was incurred in Wyoming but I now live in Colorado. Can anyone tell me what the statute of limitations on a debt are and if it differs from state to state. :eek:

Can a debt collector collect on a debt charged off with a zero balance? [ 3 Answers ]

Since I have been served papers for lawsuit by Capital ONe. Someone from Elite Recovery services, Inc has sent a letter to my husband saying "advised this account has been identified by our legal Department as an account to be forwarded toan attorney." This was seen on my husbands credit report...

How much of a debt must you rack up before a collector can garnish wages? [ 3 Answers ]

I was dumb enough to sign up for a 2 year contract at a tanning salon. It's a long story, but to make the long story short they are trying to say I owe 2 more months then i actually do. For health reasons i did not even tan but a year of the contract and paid the other year. I REFUSE to even pay...

Contacted by debt collector after notification that debt was not valid [ 1 Answers ]

I was contacted by a debt collection agency by phone stating that I owed $686.00 from 1991. I returned the call to find out what this pertained to and the gave me the name a store credit card that I had at that time - during that period my ex- husband filed bankruptsy and all accounts ( personal...

View more questions Search