Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redbird Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 04:46 PM
    Occupant versus Applicant
    Hello -

I'm living in Texas and leased a condo a couple of months ago. I would now like to add my fiancée as an occupant. The leasing office ran her credit and discovered she still owes a small amount of money to a previous landlord. We can rectify this by simply paying it, but I have a few questions about how the lease process really works, our tenant rights, etc..

When they ran her application, they said they listed her as having $0 income (even though she is a teacher) since I earn more than enough money to lease the apartment by myself. My questions:

Is there such a thing as "Occupant status only" for persons over 18 years of age?

What are the real differences between the terms, occupant and applicant or resident?

Since they are not considering her income at all and they stated the application was for criminal background check only (which is clear) why would this old debt prevent her from being an occupant of the property - that is, not responsible for the lease?

In short, can she live here at all, simply be listed as an an occupant, and NOT sign the lease?

Any helpful, factual information is appreciated!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 5, 2009, 04:51 PM

Whether she can live their as an occupant without the landlord's approval depends on your lease terms and the landlord. If she is listed on the lease as an occupant that means she is allowed to reside there but is not responsible for the lease payments. So if you move, she has to also.

An applicant is someone waiting for approval for housing. A resident and occupant are probably synonymous

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card applicant/co signer [ 2 Answers ]

I had applied for a credit (care credit) with my name as the applicant and my mother as the co-applicant. The company who was running the application for me told me that I was approved for a $6500.00 credit line. When the first statement was sent out it went to my mother who naturally called me...

F2 Applicant Sevis Id [ 1 Answers ]

I will soon be applying F2 visa for my wife. I am on F1. My question is Will her I-20 have the same Sevis Id number as my I-20 ?

Travel on L2 visa. L1 applicant not being in US currently. [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has a valid L1 visa but he is not in US currently. Can I travel to US without him being in US?

Jamaican degree applicant [ 1 Answers ]

I need a online university that offers a bachelors degree in electrical engineering.

Co-Applicant for Apartment - Now Collection Calling [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I few years back about 2002/2003 I co-applied with a friend for an apartment (I never lived their had my own place elsewhere only visited twice if that much). The person moved early but told me that they spoke with the super. Who intern spoke with management who said it was OK,but...

View more questions Search