Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KYLE E. Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2006, 04:04 PM
    Commercial diving.
    Will someone tell me about how much the pay can range between in the commercial diving field?
    Sidnal Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 05:01 PM
    As a current student at a commercial diving school, I had many questions concerning pay for divers. Here's what I've found:

1) Expect to be hired on as a "tender" at first, one who stays topside and "tends" the diver below; i.e. sends him tools, makes sure his hoses don't tangle, communicate orders to him from superiors. The average transition time from a tender to full fledged diver is anywhere from 1 to 2 years, depending on skill and aptitude.

2) Tenders are generally hired on at about $15 per hour (for offshore work in the Gulf of Mexico). Inland rates are typically less. Expect to work a minimum of 84 hours per week (yes, that's 44 hours of overtime) with an average of 4-6 weeks offshore with 1 week off.

3) Once you "break-out" as a diver, you can expect to make $20-$27 per hour, with the same amount of overtime hours, plus a bonus of "depth pay"; which is paid on a graduating scale depending on how deep you go on a dive. Dives can range from 10fsw (feet of sea water) to 250fsw. The average depth pay is $1 per foot for 1-100 feet, with 50 cent graduations every 50 feet beyond 100. So, a 200fsw dive will bring in $275.

4) The pay is very attractive, but it should be noted that only about 3% of commercial diving school graduates actually stay in the field for more than one year. This is due to harsh working conditions, extreme hours, very hard work, and dealing with superiors who are rough, foul-mouthed, and aggressive in order to weed out the people who cannot handle the responsibilities of the job (you are, after all, directly responsible for the diver on the other end of that hose.) To help put this point into perspective, I'm in a class with 30 potential divers. The school starts a class once a month, so it's reasonable to suggest that after one year, 360 new divers will enter the workforce. Statistics show that one year after they all begin, only 11 will still be working in the industry. Not a great retention rate, by any standards.

I hope this helps!
    Sidnal
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Sep 2, 2006, 06:06 PM
    What country do you live in?
    Sidnal Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 09:34 PM
    I assume you are asking me, I'm from Texas, USA.

Sep 2, 2006, 09:41 PM
    I'm sorry, I guess I should have made that clear. I was asking Kyle. I figured that would make a big difference in any answer I could give. I only know about the Canadian truck driving industry.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2006, 12:07 PM
    Before we get off the original questin everyone, the question was "DIVING"
    Going underwater, not driving as in trucks.

But yes, there are far too many stories of divers making 100 or more a hour, I did know one gentlemen that did make over 100 a hour, but he was doing very dangerous welding on shipwrecks underwater for that.

He was gone all the time, and had a very short carrerr life, most have to stop because of health issues or just can't physcially do it any longer.

As stated most make a good living on average, but they work for it.

Dec 1, 2006, 04:26 PM
    LOL... sorry and thank you FR CHUCK for your correction. I couldn't comment... have to spread the love a little more. Sorry Kyle for misreading the question.
    trigger06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2012, 11:48 AM
    I know this has been sometime after you wrote this and I hope you still get this. I am looking into becoming a diver. I was wondering how you liked it? Was it what you thought it was going to be and has the field went up hill or down in the years you worked in it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recent BMW commercial [ 1 Answers ]

I've been looking around on the web for the title or artist who performed the song currently used in a recent BMW commercial. The song may be called something like "Take me for a ride, ride" and it's definitely been around for some time. My wife is familiar w/ the song from a number of years ago....

Mortorola commercial song [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone answer this question. What is the song used in the new motorola commercial? The one with the people jumping around the buildings... ithe lyrics goes something like... "tipping on the brink of existance" and I tried searching everything. Like 'tipping on the brink' or 'on the brink' or...

Help with song in commercial [ 4 Answers ]

This was about a year ago, but it was a song in a car commercial- US commercial- They (husband wife and kids) are in their car- it was a compact car- and they drive slow through a very nice subdivision- I do rememebr seeing a swingset in the commercial in someone's yard (that might help ring a...

Song on a commercial [ 5 Answers ]

There is a song that is sung by a woman on a commercial. The commercial is for a woman's product like shaving or something. Anyway it goes something like... "And its alright and its going strong. We're going to get right back where we started from. Love is good, love could be wrong, we're going...

View more questions Search