Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cozyk View Post
    Maybe cute, but not enlightened. Very narrow minded thinker.
    Ahhhh well, one out of two isn't bad. I'm not narrow minded Cozyk, I am grounded in my belief and I am not a person like James describes that is tossed too and fro at every thought of man. I am interested not in man's thoughts but Gods.
    Peacekelsey Posts: 33, Reputation: 6
    -

Feb 19, 2009, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    ahhhh well, one out of two aint bad. I'm not narrow minded Cozyk, I am grounded in my belief and I am not a person like James describes that is tossed too and fro at every thought of man. I am interested not in man's thoughts but Gods.
    I'm just happy you have God in your heart... can't ask for much more. :D
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacekelsey View Post
    I'm just happy you have God in your heart...can't ask for much more. :D
    Thanks Peace! :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacekelsey View Post
    and Bingo was his name-O. ;)

Here is a beautiful quote I just found that explains it nicely.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
    ~ Margaret Mead
    I'm NOT thoughtful or committed? I am just a "narrow minded "thinker because you don't agree with me? LOL... ok... I see how it works or at least how you THINk it does. With your OPEN mind.:p
    -

Feb 19, 2009, 01:33 PM
    I'm NOT thoughtful or committed? I am just a "narrow minded "thinker because you don't agree with me. LOL....ok...i see how it worksor at least how you THINk it does. :p
    Please don't put words in my mouth hun. Never said that at all! I was indirectly referring to my like-minded people and how we will change the world. Someone is a tad nit picky today, ey? :p
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 01:38 PM

Oops. My bad.. I thought cozyk was the culprit for that... my apologies Peace. It takes a good couple of days to get on my bad side. LOL sorry!! She gave me a reddie and called me narrowminded all in one day... but alas, I shall forgive. I didn't mean that for you AT ALL.
    -

Feb 19, 2009, 01:43 PM
    oops. my bad..i thought cozyk was the culprit for that...my apologies Peace. It takes a good couple of days to get on my bad side. LOL sorry !!!!! She gave me a reddie and called me narrowminded all in one day...but alas, I shall forgive. I didn't mean that for you AT ALL.
    Thanks for clearing that up hon! Forgiveness is a beautiful thing! I'm still trying to go through my whole life and forgive many people for the hurtful things they've done. :D If only it was as easy as it sounds! Takes time, and I admire that quality in people! ;)
    Dare81 Posts: 264, Reputation: 44

Mar 8, 2009, 02:43 AM

If the Bible isn't ALL true.. then NONE of us has hope. YOUR thoughts are just that... YOURS. I am only interested in GOD's Thoughts. He is probably smarter than me. Jesus came and said I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH ( get that THE TRUTH) and the Life. NO MAN comes to the Father but by me. You have two choices... you either reject that or believe it. If Jesus is THE TRUTH... why mess with other so called religions. Because they are beautiful , interesting, enlightening? I don't get it... man made them up. According the bible Man hasn't had an original thought. As for me... I believe GOD.

Peace and Blessings,

Tess

Hmm I will take issue with this

Dr. W. Graham Scroggie of the MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE, Chicago, one of the most prestigious Christian Evangelical Mission in the world, answering the question — "Is the Bible the Word of God?" (also the title of his book), under the heading: IT IS HUMAN, YET DIVINE. He says on page 17:

"Yes, the Bible is human, though some, out of zeal which is not according to knowledge, 1 have denied this. Those books2 have passed through the minds of men, are written in the language of men, were penned by the hands of men, and bear in their style the characteristics of men." (Emphasis added).

Another erudite Christian scholar, Kenneth Cragg, the Anglican Bishop of Jerusalem, says on page 277 of his book, "The Call of the Minaret":

"Not so the New Testament3 . . . There is condensation and editing; here is choice, reproduction and witness. The Gospels have come through the mind of the Church behind the authors. They represent experience and history."

If words have any meaning, do we need to add another word of comment to prove our case? No! But the professional propagandists, after letting the cat out of the bag, still have the face to try to make their readers believe that they have proved beyond the shadow of any doubt that the Bible is the "irrefragable Word of God." Their semantic gymnastics — equivocating, and playing with words — is amazing!
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Mar 8, 2009, 05:58 AM

Dare 81, VERY interesting.
    -

Mar 8, 2009, 08:37 AM

Dare, sorry if I offended you... but you're right it is my opinion... just like you have yours... thanks for sharing!
    -

Mar 8, 2009, 02:41 PM

A bit pushy ey? I could pull up TONS of info on any religion if I wanted and throw it out there to pur sway you that MY(which I don't have one) religion is the best... I think a little bigger than that... not saying you're beliefs are wrong one bit... it's just bigger than one religion and no one religion is superior to another... thats all..
    -

Mar 8, 2009, 06:10 PM
    Well if I'm not mistaken the original question was pertaining to religion really not mattering. So that's what we're talking about. You have your right to your opinions and I have mine. I don't believe you're wrong in quoting the bible. Although I do believe the bible can be misinterpreted as anything else in this world... therefore everyone doesn't perceive things in the same way. Just because you read the same thing as many other people... doesn't mean you have the same beliefs because you all may have interpreted what you read differently... spirituality is bigger than religion. By spirituality, I mean looking into ones self for the answers... or what's right and wrong... rather than looking to a religion to define things. Religion is a sub category of how many accomplish their sense of 'spirituality' but its hard for them to push past their restrictions and accomplish the unknown... others can see the bigger picture and don't get boggled down by the restrictions that religion can set upon your life. Religion isn't bad... or unnecessary... but eventually everyone will realize all the answers their looking for in an organized religion... are really within... and with god's unconditional love, and our angels, we can do we put our mind to.

Peace & Blessings
    malenymph13 Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Apr 10, 2009, 02:29 PM

Two words: WOW!

^(joke[because I know someone will not get why I put 'two words' because obviously wow is one word and I might as well explain that now instead of in another post])

Anyway, I am glad to see that this has been an interesting discussion. I would like to add something though. I think everyone is looking through a window in the middle of a wall instead of standing in a glass dome.

Firstly, Classy, I do not know how you know what God's thoughts are. The bible says things but God did not write it himself and a very small part of the book actually deals with what Jesus actually taught. Nevertheless, I am glad that you are following what you think are God's thoughts. That is very admirable. I just do not believe that anyone really knows what his thoughts are. The bible was written by a lot of men who wrote what they thought were God's thoughts but they really had no way of knowing. I do not disagree with you though, I just do not follow the same path.

Peacekelsey, don't forget that even though some people choose to live by the bible and hold every word in honor, that they found their path that way and though it consists of things that we may think are flawed that they are just like we are trying to find the answers.

Furthermore, let's make this less like an argument and more of an inquiry. For example:

What makes you feel that way? Why do you believe that? What is your inspiration?

Rather than:

That is not how I feel. or Well, according to this source, your logic is flawed.

I apoligize if I have offended anyone, but remember passion can be blinding while curiousity can be illuminating. Thank you for your time in reading this and I wish that everyone will continue to post their questions for others and their own theories.

Love you!

P.S. In re-reading this I see that I may have done some of the things that I asked others not to... so sorry for being a hypocrite and I will try to change and I guess my statements also apply to me. So let's go onward and grow! All of us
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2009, 03:11 PM

Malenymph,

Certainly you are intitled to your opinion. I believe that the Bible was inspired of God written by man. That is what the Bible teaches. I believe EVERY word is true in the Bible. It takes faith, I understand. But if you read the Bible you would see it is more than just words... it HAD to be inspired by God for there is no other way it could fit together, every passage, every story. There is a red thread that starts in Genesis and ends in Revelation that is Jesus Christ. I would also like to add the fact that the Jews are a nation and know who they are as a people is nothing short of a miracle. How many Philistines have you met in the last decade? Or for that matter century. These are reasons I believe the Bible is without error and absolute truth. That is the reason I think we can know what God's thoughts are about every subject.

You didn't offend me. Just wanted you to know where I was coming from. :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2009, 05:08 PM

I and many others believe as ClassyT because we do not follow 'religion' but open our heart and spirit to God and KNOW he has set us free in our hearts and opened our spiritual eyes. Religion keeps people blind.
    -

Apr 11, 2009, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by malenymph13 View Post
    Two words: WOW!

^(joke[because i know someone will not get why i put 'two words' because obviously wow is one word and i might as well explain that now instead of in another post])

Anyway, I am glad to see that this has been an interesting discussion. I would like to add something though. I think everyone is looking through a window in the middle of a wall instead of standing in a glass dome.

Firstly, Classy, I do not know how you know what God's thoughts are. The bible says things but God did not write it himself and a very small part of the book actually deals with what Jesus actually taught. Nevertheless, I am glad that you are following what you think are God's thoughts. That is very admirable. I just do not believe that anyone really knows what his thoughts are. The bible was written by a lot of men who wrote what they thought were God's thoughts but they really had no way of knowing. I do not disagree with you though, I just do not follow the same path.

Peacekelsey, don't forget that even though some people choose to live by the bible and hold every word in honor, that they found their path that way and though it consists of things that we may think are flawed that they are just like we are trying to find the answers.

Furthermore, let's make this less like an argument and more of an inquiry. For example:

What makes you feel that way? Why do you believe that? What is your inspiration?

Rather than:

That is not how I feel., or Well, according to this source, your logic is flawed.

I apoligize if I have offended anyone, but remember passion can be blinding while curiousity can be illuminating. Thank you for your time in reading this and I wish that everyone will continue to post their questions for others and their own theories.

Love ya!

P.S. In re-reading this I see that I may have done some of the things that I asked others not to....so sorry for being a hypocrite and I will try to change and I guess my statements also apply to me. So let's go onward and grow! All of us

Say what you will, I believe my post was rational and explained what I had felt without harshly criticizing anyone else's opinion. This discussion has carried on far to long. Best of luck to the original asker... that you find whatever works for you. Look into your heart... all the answers we seek are already there. Much love, Kelsey.
    gromitt82 Posts: 370, Reputation: 23

Apr 11, 2009, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by malenymph13 View Post
    Hi,
    I believe that no religion is completely right for the fact that all people are individual and can not follow a list of rules agreed--not entirely--by a group of people who may be "too devout" for their own good. However, I do believe that every religion, no matter how bogus it may be does hold some truth. Religion is an organization and something like faith should not be organized but random and individual. On the other hand, you should have your own methods and ideas for how you follow the "Higher Power". Continuing on that note, do you also believe that what might be considered wrong, evil, a sin(or whatever slang you sling) for one person could be done with the same intention for another person and not be wrong at all?

Please, I welcome your opinions on this topic?
    Hi,
    This subject has been dragging on for some time now, but I would still like to say something before it is removed from this board.

Your first point about people not being able to follow a given set of rules seems to ignore not only human established laws, which we are to follow whether we like or not, but two other important facts regarding religions.

a) Contrary to what happens with manmade laws religious rules are normally liberally accepted. You can follow them or ignore them as you please for “fines” or “punishment” is not of this world.

b) As far as Christianity is concerned the list of rules is actually very limited (10 only, or in reality, 11). In addition, this set of rules in actual fact was not instituted by someone “too devout” for his own good. They were simply set up by God himself “for our OWN good”.

Furthermore, what is more important, as I said before, we are totally free to accept them or consider them as “bogus” as you, so kindly, say, which is, certainly, something you are not allowed to do or say re. Human Laws.

As a result you can do whatever you deem convenient to follow the “Higher Power”. All that may happen to you is to receive some criticism from people obviously “too devout” to accept your theories.

Other than that, you may keep on living as you wish while following your natural whims. Nothing will happen to you down here, which sounds great.

There is a “teeny weeny” drawback, though. You have to bear in mind –that is, if you consider it worthwhile- the possibility that, after all, there may exist a “Higher Power” that might disagree with your position.

Although, to be fair with your point of view and with those who share your opinion, it is also possible, though not likely in the opinion of “devout” people like me, that nothing survives after you are gone...

It is a “high stake” gamble, but I’m sure that you will not mind to accept it.

So don’t give it another thought and just follow what your intuition directs you to. And “good luck”... :):)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2009, 11:28 AM
    It appears that gromitt maybe referring to Pascal's Wager - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Feel free to read that page, it's quite interesting.
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Apr 11, 2009, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    It appears that gromitt maybe referring to Pascal's Wager - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Feel free to read that page, it's quite interesting.
    Yes, gromitt could be referring to Pascals Wager, but I could tell he/she was very offended by the " too devout for your own good" reference. A devout christian can really spill some venom when they get on a soap box.:rolleyes:
    gromitt82 Posts: 370, Reputation: 23

Apr 12, 2009, 08:20 AM
    :):):):)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    As a matter of fact, in my previous post on this subject, I was not referring to Pascal's Wager or to anyone in particular. However, I have read the page you mention, and I find it very interesting, indeed.

It does not surprise me though, because Pascal was not only a philosopher but a great mathematician and his analysis shows his tendency to analyze the subject of God from that point of view.

In my case, however, I apply the simplest logic although the result may be the same one. That is, if our friend Malenymph is doubtful whether to play the game in his own particular way, I just wish him good luck.

Nevertheless, I warn him of the possibility that he may be wrong, in which case what is at stake is a lot.

Just eternal happiness vs. eternal confinement into nothingness.

The problem is, in my opinion, that some people do not quite understand the meaning of eternity. Otherwise, I cannot see how anyone can even start to compare whatever pleasures we may have here in our lifetime (less than a nanosecond) against a promised eternal happiness...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does anyone know what this means? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so me and my boyfriend have been trying conceive for awhile know. Last month we had unprotected sex on all the days I ovulated well this month I started my period on the 18th that was the last day for that then we had unprotected sex on the 19th of this month then on the 20th and 21st I was...

Don't know what it means [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend who sometimes say things in his native tongue.. one night during a full moon he looked at me and said (ambyr ecchi bor sinch) I think that's how you write it.. anyway I want to know that means does anybody know?

How would anyone change their identity by their own means or by professional means? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi fellow users I am conducting research on this matter to aid myself look for a loved one who has not been seen for six years. I suspect that my friend has changed their identity and I need to understand how this can be done.

What do think religion means in today's society? [ 8 Answers ]

As a christian I have noticed that as time passes by, the meaning and values of religions is diminishing. The respect towards it mean nothing and the boudaries that protect the rights of religion do not mean anything. Shows are constantly making fun of god. Society disrespects god, and the thing...

View more questions Search