Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jpsbach Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 12:49 PM
    Grounding of "main panel"
    I recently experienced monumental problems following neutral failure in my underground electrical supply. As a result, I have had the main breaker panel replaced because it appeared the main breaker was over stressed and an installed surge breaker had melted into the panel.

I am concerned about grounds though the power co. engineer claims better grounds would not likely have prevented problems (LOTS of things burned out!).

Power comes in to a main disconnect which is grounded to a driven ground rod. 3-wire service entrance cable feeds the main 200A panel in the house (about 50' running underground). This panel is not bonded and is grounded via a second ground driven rod at least 40' from the main disconnect. Subsequent to installation of the main panel, #6 ground wire was run through conduit during construction of an attached garage. This could be used to tie the ground at the main disconnect to the ground in the main panel but my electrician thinks this not a good idea.

Should I have this ground tied to the ground in the main panel? Should I drive a second ground rod and tie it to the existing ground rod for the main panel.
    When the power co. replaces my failed underground service, I can install another ground at the main disconnect to a well casing. Would this be a good idea?

(note, the main panel is really a sub as it is being fed from the main disconnect). Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 04:23 PM
    I am having a hard time follwing what is where. What areas are attached and what are detached from each other?
    Where is the main disconnect?
    Where is the panel compared to the disconnect? Where does that 50' come into play?

I have to say, you have a very misinformed, yet very common, idea of what ground rods do.
    Ground rods DO NOT "ground" anything, if you can believe it. That have absolutely no bearing of the functionality of the electrical system, and they serve NO purpose in clearing faults and tripping breakers.
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Jan 5, 2009, 10:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    I have to say, you have a very misinformed, yet very common, idea of what ground rods do.
    Ground rods DO NOT "ground" anything, if you can believe it. That have absolutely no bearing of the functionality of the electrical system, and they serve NO purpose in clearing faults and tripping breakers.
    Stan not my post but please ellaborate. What do ground rods do than?

As always your insight is apprecated
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 07:41 AM

The Neutral opening up is what did the damage,
    I don't think ground had any effect.

Jan 6, 2009, 12:51 PM
    I apologize that my original question was not perfectly clear. I am also well aware that the problems were caused by the failed neutral but in the process of replacing the "main" breaker panel I wanted to reevaluate my grounding system and upgrade it if advisable. Let's start over.

A main fused, 200A disconnect is fed via underground cable ( the one which failed). This disconnect is grounded via a driven rod. The first question is whether I should consider upgrading this ground by running a ground to a well casing which I will be able to do when the power company fixes their underground cable? (neutral bonded at this disconnect).

When originally installed, the main breaker panel in the house was fed with about 60'-70' of 3-wire service entrance cable run underground from the main disconnect. I believe this to have been a mistake as no ground was provided. Instead, a second ground rod was driven in a different location to ground this panel. Finally, when I constructed a garage, I ran a conduit between the main disconnect and the breaker panel. At present, there is #6 ground conductor in this conduit.

My electrician feels this ground conductor should not be used. If I wish to improve the ground at the main panel, he advises only driving a second ground rod. So this is the second question. Should I tie the main disconnect and main breaker panel grounds together with the #6 conductor or leave the breaker panel grounded only via the driven ground? If tying them together is a good idea, should I pull something larger in the conduit (#4?)? (reminder, neutral is not bonded in this panel as per code).

I believe it is true that using the ground in the conduit is actually a code violation because it is not "contiguous" with the conductors in the 3-wire cable. My goal is only to get the best ground possible.

I appreciate the significant knowledge of stanfortaman in his posts. My understanding is that grounding systems are primarily for safety purposes but at higher frequencies (above 60Hz) may also provide for signal references and lightning protection. In any case, I believe NEC requires grounds and, hopefully, with a low impedance to "earth ground." I am much less clear on the actual aspects of providing good grounds and it is not clear to me whether "better grounds" might have alleviated some of the wild voltage swings resulting from the neutral failure.

Jan 6, 2009, 12:55 PM

I should also have acknowledged the expertise of Stratmando in my update. As a new member, it is comforting to know that there are experts willing to share and help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New 250 volt circuit, no grounding bar in main panel [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have searched for this answer but I can't find a clear answer for a rookie. I am adding a 250v/20amp circuit to my main panel for a window air conditioner. I have a newer Murray main panel that was installed by an electrician, but its an old house and all the outlets are 2 prong type. So I...

House grounding, 2 prong outlets, main panel, lots of stuff [ 5 Answers ]

Greetings all! My wife and I are purchasing a house built during the 1960's in Texas. I have some concerns about the electrical system. It appears to be wired with 2 wire, non metallic cabling for most of the outlets in the living and bed rooms. All these rooms have 2 prong outlets. The...

How do I instal a grounding rod to an older main panel ? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a friend who want me to instal a grounding rod on his home because he said that he was showering and when his electric furnace kicked on it kicked his , almost out of the tub, now He was tols that his home needed a grounding rod instaled to ground the house. Existing panel didn't have a...

Periodic "gushing" noise in main water line [ 1 Answers ]

In my basement, the main water line comes in through one of the basement walls. I don't think I've heard this before, but periodically, I hear water rushing noises coming from the line. When I go down to the basement, it's like water is rushing in, stopping, then rushing in, etc... Could be...

View more questions Search