Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jynnifer Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2009, 05:51 AM
    Accidentally formatted hard drive, need to recover.
    My computer wouldn't do anything... frozen every time I started it and so I hit F10 on start up and thought I was restoring data to an earlier date and turns out that I formatted hard drive. I am devastated... I have videos of my dad and I talking right before he died, photos of the kids not to mention spreadsheets I would love to have. For Christmas my husband bought me a portable drive to be able to back everything up on and we were going to do this over the weekend but of course this happened. If anyone can help, I would so appreciate it. I have looked into hard drive recovery software but don't know what will work or how good it is. Thank you for any info supplied.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 01:40 PM
    If you truly formatted the drive, STOP! Do not do anything else with the computer. Take the computer to a reputable local service facility that has experience with data recovery or contact one of the data recovery companies such as Ontrack Data Recovery.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 07:36 PM

I would agree with above suggestion
    Jynnifer Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2009, 08:05 PM

I followed the link in the first answer and am confused as to what I should do... send the hard drive somewhere or download the software available on this website?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jynnifer
    ...am confused as to what I should do...
    Call the number on the website, tell them what you did, and see what they recommend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recover data from Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am wondering if there is an easy, simple(yes, very simple), step By step way to recover data info from my computer hard drive?? I am not a computer geek, as in, not extremely knowledgeable as Far as computers go, so it would have to be very 1,2,3 or A,B,C As far as steps. Thanks for the...

WinXP NTFS formatted hard drive is "unallocated" [ 8 Answers ]

Howdy. I recently purchased a 500gb hard drive, hooked it up as the master (cable select on, plugged to end of IDE cable) drive on the secondary IDE channel of the motherboard then initialized and formatted it in WinXP SP2. Once this was done, the drive was recognized as "healthy, working" in...

How to recover data from hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

My Dell computer crapped out on me. I pulled both hard drives and they appear to be intact. I'm able to read them when I add them as slaves to my other computer. Here is the problem: My primary User on the primary drive, "Bob", will not allow me to access it. I can access all of the other Users,...

Data recovery from formatted hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

How do I efficiently recover my data? The hard drive was formatted and WinXP was installed but someone hinted to me sometime back that all data a hard drive has ever stored can be recovered, even though it was formatted more than once before. Can I recover my data (about 40GB of it)?

Hard Drive problem - crashed and trying to recover data [ 10 Answers ]

G'day All, I'm having a hard drive problem. My hard drive crashed I've bought a new one have loaded up windows xp pro tried connected my old drive (making a clunking noise) as a slave drive and my computer just hangs at the XP pro openning window and does not advance. If I disconnect the slave win...

View more questions Search