Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deaexcelpadawan Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 03:38 AM
    From 3 columns of data creating a 4th column with the most recent columns data
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help with an excel query I have...

I have 3 columns of information and want to summarise the most recent information in to a 4th column. i.e. the most up to date information. If the most recent column is blank use the information from the 2nd most recent column and if this is blank use the information from the 1st original column. I have attached an example:

It is so I only need to do one vlookup to get the most recent data rather than having to do 3 look ups.

Does anyone have any ideas? Would be really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xls Excel query 050109.xls (19.5 KB, 204 views)
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jan 5, 2009, 08:53 AM
    Is this any help?
    Attached Files
  3. File Type: xls Try1.xls (23.5 KB, 238 views)
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 09:29 AM

Since these are progressive dates, you just need the most recent date, so a simple MAX formula will do the trick.

Put this formula in F2 and copy down.

=MAX(C2:E2)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Create column with descending numbers corresponding to data in another column. [ 1 Answers ]

I created an alphabetized column with names. In another column I put an x next to those names that were heads of households leaving the rest blank. I would like to create a new column that would recognize the x then insert a number in the cell next to the x in descending order (i.e. 1-50).

Finding the given text in different columns and place in other column [ 2 Answers ]

I have a worksheet where two columns contains name. I need to check that if one name is appering in any of these two columns then result shoule be shown in third column or if that name is not there then third column should be blank. If We have to find KEVIN MERRITT then result should be like...

Recent Poll Data from Realclearpolitics.com [ 12 Answers ]

Poll------------ Date -----Sample-----McCain (R) Obama (D) --- Spread RCP Average-09/05-09/07 --N/A ------48.3 --------45.4 -------McCain +2.9 ABC News/ Wash Post---09/05-09/07---LV------- 49---------- 47-------- ...

Excluding data from column [ 5 Answers ]

hi. Excel question. I have a number of column's, but I am mainly concerned with 2 columns, and the generation of new column. One column is a series of data where values equal, 0, 1000, -1000, 2000, -2000, and 1,2,3... 9. the other column has modulus values corresponding to this data (0, 1000,...

View more questions Search