Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2009, 09:50 PM
    The Kingdom of God?
    “Christ established the kingdom of God on earth, manifested His Father and Himself by deeds and words, and completed His work by His death, resurrection and glorious Ascension and by the sending of the Holy Spirit.” Dei Verbum V 17

1. What and where is the Kingdom of God?
    2. Do we see it in the Old Testament? Does it differ between the Old Testament and the New Testament?
    3. How and when do we enter the Kingdom of God?
    4. Do you understand the “Kingdom of God” to be the same as “Kingdom of Heaven?”
    5. Or do you hold the Kingdom of Heaven and the Kingdom of God to be two different Kingdoms?

Feel free to answerer one or more of the above.

JoeT

Question edited to removed denominatinal reference and to removed request for restriction on answers. FC
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Jan 5, 2009, 12:38 AM

1. THE KINGDOM OF god is wherever God reigns over the lives of His subjects.
    The Kingdom of God is not visible because God is not visible. It is a spiritual
    Kingdom, not a visible one. As for where the kingdom of God is look up
    Luke 17:20, 21. "Once, having been asked by the pharisees when the kingdom of God will come, Jesus replied The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say Here it is or here it is because the kingdom of God is
    within YOU."

Maggie 3
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Jan 5, 2009, 08:31 AM
    John3: 3 "Unless one is born again He cannot see the Kingdom
    od God" Jesus said John3:5 "Unless One is born of water and the spirt, , he cannot enter the Kingdom of God." It comes about when one receives Jesus' sacrificial death to cleanse from sin and make Jesus the Lord of his spirit, and receive the indwelling Holy Spirit. With the new birth, the spirit of man is recreated and enjoined with Gods spirit
    enableling us to have the spiritual vision necessary to see and enter the kingdom of God.

Maggie3

Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 08:56 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie 3 View Post
    1. THE KINGDOM OF god is wherever God reigns over the lives of His subjects.
    The Kingdom of God is not visible because God is not visible. It is a spiritual kingdom, not a visible one. As for where the kingdom of God is look up
    Luke 17:20, 21. Once, having been asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God will come, Jesus replied the kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say Here it is or here it is because the kingdom of God is within YOU.

Maggie 3
    Maggie:

Thanks for your response. As I understand you are proposing that the Kingdom is only a spiritual place, not associated with an earthly domain. If I've understood correctly, then how do you render what God said to Moses on Mt. Sinai, “If therefore you will hear my voice, and keep my covenant, you shall be my peculiar possession above all people: for all the earth is mine. And you shall be to me a priestly kingdom, and a holy nation.” (Ex.19: 5, 6)? What happens to this Kingdom? Matthew tells us that the Kingdom will be taken from the Jews and given to others, yielding first fruits. (Cf. Matt 21:33-46).

Also, the contention is that the Kingdom of God is within us then the following verses are telling us to seek justice within?
    Luke 12:31 But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his justice: and all these things shall be added unto you. 32 Fear not, little flock, for it hath pleased your...
    Matt 6: 33 Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you. 34 Be not therefore solicitous for to morrow;...
    Are there inconsistencies, can you resolve them? Or, are these unrelated verses?

JoeT
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 11:00 AM

Joe,
    I am thinking that this refers to after Armageddon and after God establishes his kingdom here on earth.
    As it stands today, God has done everything he can on the earth until the time of judgment. Then the New Heaven and Earth will be established. At that time he will be among his people just like in the days of Adam and Eve.
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Jan 5, 2009, 12:16 PM

Hello, JoeT - these are my thoughts.

1) What and where is the Kingdom of God? It is my belief that the Kingdom of God is the kingdom that God is in the process of building now through the redemption of his elect— "hagioi", also know as the called out ones or the holy (sanctified) ones. Ultimately, the kingdom itself is God dwelling amongst his people, although there will be an actual place for this dwelling, not an ethereal, abstract existence espoused by some (previous poster). To answer the second part of the question—where is the Kingdom of God?—I'd say that it is not present now but we have the promise of God that he will one day build it and deliver it to his people. The earth now is subject to futility (Romans 8) and will not continue on in its present form, so that is why I personally see the kingdom as one coming, not already here. I'm thinking about what Peter says when he notes that the earth and all that is in it will be destroyed:

"But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed.

Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn! But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells."

In addition, John's vision in Revelation 21 says the following:

"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

John's perspective is similar to Peter's in that it is his understanding that the earth and the heavens as we know it will be destroyed and God will make a new dwelling place for him and his people—The New Jerusalem, which is to be given as a gift to his people, both Jew and Gentile alike.

To summarize question 1, the Kingdom of God is the place where God will dwell amongst his people and reign over them in glory. The coming Day of the Lord will bring God's justice to the ungodly and his mercy and salvation to the righteous, and he will bestow as a gift the kingdom to those who have waited patiently for it, with Christ as King.

In a sense, I think I have indirectly answered questions 2 & 3. The Old Testament foreshadowed the coming kingdom and you see it in the period of the Kings of Israel. However, the promise God made to David that through his seed would come one who would reign in righteousness, further proved that the Kingdom of God had not yet arrived. David understood that the Messiah would be this ruler and in Christ's day it was the anticipation of the people that Messiah would come. If the Kingdom of God were already present, why would the people be looking for their King? Not only that, but there was a complete destruction of the Kingdom of Israel and Israel had ceased to even be a nation until 1947.

Questions 4-5: I do not think there is any distinction between the Kingdom of Heaven and the Kingdom of God. Jesus used these terms interchangeably but he was referring to one and the same thing. The inevitable question is why is there a distinction then? Perhaps I can answer that at another time. But this is my answer to these questions thus far.

I enjoyed the questions and I am interested in hearing your thoughts on these things. I still owe you a response from another post concerning Judas.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 12:19 PM

Joe, If you recall Jesus can be quoted as saying "My Kingdom is Not of This World" (John 18:36)

And.. Jesus can also be quoted in saying
    "Everyone of truth hereth My Voice"
    (John 18:37)

In scripture those that follow Christ and are baptized into the righteousness of new life with the Spirit are refer as children of God.

Gal 3:24
    Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
    Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
    Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
    Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

And Peter never limited The Word of Christ to a certain people but to all nations. This is written in Acts 10:34-35 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

Acts 10:36 The word which [God] sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all ) :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post

Also, the contention is that the Kingdom of God is within us then the following verses are telling us to seek justice within?
    Luke 12:31 But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his justice: and all these things shall be added unto you. 32 Fear not, little flock, for it hath pleased your...
    Matt 6: 33 Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you. 34 Be not therefore solicitous for to morrow;...

JoeT
    We are to seek the Kingdom of God just as we are to seek Christ. The mind and soul of free will to seek and find. We are blessed in doing so, and have put on the armor needed in defense of evil here and now on earth. For the journey in life everafter is The Kingdom of God. (Jer 29:13 Matthew 7:7 Luke 11:9 )
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Jan 5, 2009, 07:43 PM
    First off we need to accept that the "Kingdom of God" in the NT is a mystery:

Mk 4:11-12
    11 He told them, "The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables 12 so that,
    "'they may be ever seeing but never perceiving,
    And ever hearing but never understanding;
    Otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!'
    NIV

The Greek word is : mysterion something being revealed.

Ro 16:25 - 1 Co 1:1

25 Now to him who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which was kept secret for long ages 26 but is now disclosed and through the prophetic writings is made known to all nations, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith - 27 to the only wise God be glory for evermore through Jesus Christ! Amen.
    RSV

Job 11:7-9
    7 "Can you fathom the mysteries of God?
    Can you probe the limits of the Almighty?
    8 They are higher than the heavens — what can you do?
    They are deeper than the depths of the grave-what can you know?
    9 Their measure is longer than the earth
    And wider than the sea.
    NIV

HOWEVER, there was always partial revelation to God's people. In the OT they had part of the mystery of the kingdom of God but only by shadows and temporal things, i.e. the promised land, the temple, the sacrifices...

Dt 29:29
    29 The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.
    NIV

Jesus taught much more and the apostles continue to proclaim the kingdom by God's word.

It is still a mystery and can't be defined beyond the word itself... beyond our getting a concordance and looking at each section which speaks of the kingdom.
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 08:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    Joe,
    I am thinking that this refers to after Armageddon and after God establishes his kingdom here on earth.

As it stands today, God has done everything he can on the earth until the time of judgment. Then the New Heaven and Earth will be established. At that time he will be among his people just like in the days of Adam and Eve.
    If I understand you correctly, we have a prophecy telling of the Son of David, the Messianic King, without an earthly Kingdom? Christ conquers death, and abandon’s his Kingdom? Surely you expect an earthly kingdom somewhere, without it Christ isn’t the Messiah.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 09:44 PM
    Thanks for writing. In my mind you've seem to have gotten it half right.

Quote Originally Posted by jakester View Post
    Hello, JoeT - these are my thoughts. What and where is the Kingdom of God? It is my belief that the Kingdom of God is the kingdom that God is in the process of building now through the redemption of his elect— "hagioi", also know as the called out ones or the holy (sanctified) ones. Ultimately, the kingdom itself is God dwelling amongst his people, although there will be an actual place for this dwelling, not an ethereal, abstract existence espoused by some (previous poster). To answer the second part of the question—where is the Kingdom of God?—I'd say that it is not present now but we have the promise of God that he will one day build it and deliver it to his people.

The earth now is subject to futility (Romans 8) and will not continue on in its present form, so that is why I personally see the kingdom as one coming, not already here. I'm thinking about what Peter says when he notes that the earth and all that is in it will be destroyed:

"But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed.

Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn! But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells."
    I can agree that the Kingdom of God is in the process of building. Romans 8 speaks to there not being condemnation to those justified in Christ, nor for those who don't walk according to the flesh, but walk in the spirit. God so loved his creation, finding it good, ordained that we conform to the image of His Son, “Firstborn amongst many brethren”
    Romans 8 speaks to their not being condemnation to those justified in Christ, nor for those who don't walk according to the flesh, but walk in the spirit. God so loved his creation, finding it good, ordained that we conform to the image of His Son, “Firstborn amongst many brethren”

And Paul reinforces this thought, “Until we all meet into the unity of faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the age of the fulness of Christ: 14 That henceforth we be no more children tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the wickedness of men, by cunning craftiness by which they lie in wait to deceive. 15 But doing the truth in charity, we may in all things grow up in him who is the head, even Christ:” (Eph 4:13-15)

Would you disagree that this could be done in God's Kingdom here on earth?

In addition, John's vision in Revelation 21 says the following:

"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

John's perspective is similar to Peter's in that it is his understanding that the earth and the heavens as we know it will be destroyed and God will make a new dwelling place for him and his people—The New Jerusalem, which is to be given as a gift to his people, both Jew and Gentile alike.

To summarize question 1, the Kingdom of God is the place where God will dwell amongst his people and reign over them in glory. The coming Day of the Lord will bring God's justice to the ungodly and his mercy and salvation to the righteous, and he will bestow as a gift the kingdom to those who have waited patiently for it, with Christ as King.

Yes you've alluded to half the Kingdom, now where's the rest of it?
    That there is a spiritual Kingdom of Heaven, I don't deny; but what of the King of Kings, the son of David, the Messiah? Christ can't be without him, and he can't be a king without a kingdom.

In a sense, I think I have indirectly answered questions 2 & 3. The Old Testament foreshadowed the coming kingdom and you see it in the period of the Kings of Israel. However, the promise God made to David that through his seed would come one who would reign in righteousness, further proved that the Kingdom of God had not yet arrived. David understood that the Messiah would be this ruler and in Christ's day it was the anticipation of the people that Messiah would come. If the Kingdom of God were already present, why would the people be looking for their King? Not only that, but there was a complete destruction of the Kingdom of Israel and Israel had ceased to even be a nation until 1947.

Questions 4-5: I do not think there is any distinction between the Kingdom of Heaven and the Kingdom of God. Jesus used these terms interchangeably but he was referring to one and the same thing. The inevitable question is why is there a distinction then? Perhaps I can answer that at another time. But this is my answer to these questions thus far.
    Yes you've alluded to half the Kingdom, now where's the rest of it? Where is the Messianic King?

I enjoyed the questions and I am interested in hearing your thoughts on these things.
    Thank you, I enjoy a good clean debate. You, as well as others, have always been willing to oblige.

I still owe you a response from another post concerning Judas.
    I've forgotten, be sure and write some to jog my memory.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 11:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sndbay View Post
    Joe, If you recall Jesus can be quoted as saying "My Kingdom is Not of This World" (John 18:36)
    And.. Jesus can also be quoted in saying
    "Everyone of truth hereth My Voice"
    (John 18:37)
    We still haven’t discussed the Old Testament “Kingdom of God” to any length and, with your permission, I’d like to hold this discussion until then.

In scripture those that follow Christ and are baptized into the righteousness of new life with the Spirit are refer as children of God.

Gal 3:24
    Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
    Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
    Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
    Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
    I’m not sure what your point is here. But, I understand the schoolmaster or tutor in Galatians to be a reference to the Law of Moses. It brings us to Christ as one who instills discipline in a youthful student. But, Christ closed the lessons of Mosses by fulfilling the Old Testament prophases for the Messianic King. The Old Testament Kingdom had to pass to the Gentiles so that the student once graduating through his baptism isn’t restrained by the tutor. “If a candle which gave light by night, kept us, when it became day, from the sun, it would not only not benefit, it would injure us; and so does the Law, if it stands between us and greater benefits. Those then are the greatest traducers of the Law, who still keep it, just as the tutor makes a youth ridiculous, by retaining him with himself, when time calls for his departure.” St. Chrysostom, Homily 3 on Galatians CHURCH FATHERS: Homily 3 on Galatians (Chrysostom)

And Peter never limited The Word of Christ to a certain people but to all nations.
    You wound me; I’ve gone out of my way to say something quite different. On another thread, I stated quite rightly that through “Christ’s Catholic Church alone, which is the universal help towards salvation, that the fullness of the means of salvation can be obtained.” You may want to see exclusion in this, but it states something quite the opposite because, The Church also holds, “the Spirit of Christ has not refrained from using them [other churches and communities in Christ] as means of salvation which derive their efficacy from the very fullness of grace and truth entrusted to the Catholic Church.” (Cf. Vatican II, Decree on Ecumenism, UNITATIS REDINTEGRATIO, 21 November 1964) This is a far cry different from the rhetoric addressed at the Catholic Church, holding that Catholicism is paganism, demonism, etc…and thus its adherents doomed and damned.

This is written in Acts 10:34-35 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

Acts 10:36 The word which [God] sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all ) :)

We are to seek the Kingdom of God just as we are to seek Christ. The mind and soul of free will to seek and find. We are blessed in doing so, and have put on the armor needed in defense of evil here and now on earth. For the journey in life everafter is The Kingdom of God. (Jer 29:13 Matthew 7:7 Luke 11:9 )
    Let me end this by saying we have yet to discuss God’s promise to Moses; “If therefore you will hear my voice, and keep my covenant, you shall be my peculiar possession above all people: for all the earth is mine. And you shall be to me a priestly kingdom, and a holy nation.” (Ex.19: 5, 6) Where or who is this Kingdom today?

Thank you for writing, I have enjoyed our conversations lately

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by revdrgade View Post
    First off we need to accept that the "Kingdom of God" in the NT is a mystery:

Mk 4:11-12
    11 He told them, "The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables 12 so that,
    "'they may be ever seeing but never perceiving,
    and ever hearing but never understanding;
    otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!'
    NIV
    The Greek word is : mysterion something being revealed.

Ro 16:25 - 1 Co 1:1

25 Now to him who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which was kept secret for long ages 26 but is now disclosed and through the prophetic writings is made known to all nations, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith - 27 to the only wise God be glory for evermore through Jesus Christ! Amen.
    RSV

Job 11:7-9
    7 "Can you fathom the mysteries of God?
    Can you probe the limits of the Almighty?
    8 They are higher than the heavens — what can you do?
    They are deeper than the depths of the grave-what can you know?
    9 Their measure is longer than the earth
    and wider than the sea.
    NIV
    While it is a mystery in terms of fully understanding in human terms, but that mystery was taught in the form of parables, “And when he was alone, the twelve that were with him asked him the parable. 11 And he said to them: To you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God:” (Mark 4:10, 11). Consequently, there is some understanding of what the Kingdom of God is and we know the Apostles went out and taught this mystery.

We know Christ taught about the Kingdom of God. And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom: and healing all manner of sickness and every infirmity, among the people. (Matt 4:23) Do you suppose that nobody asked, well just what the Kingdom of God is? In fact couldn't we say that a component of his ministry was to teach of the Kingdom of God?

And the Apostles where sent out to teach about the Kingdom of God. How do you teach something about which you know nothing? “And going, preach, saying: The kingdom of heaven is at hand.” (Matt 10:7)

But in this verse God also stated a much overlooked fact, “for all the earth is mine.” Can we not say that all the earth belongs to God and as such is in the Kingdom?
    Quote Originally Posted by revdrgade View Post
    HOWEVER, there was always partial revelation to God's people. In the OT they had part of the mystery of the kingdom of God but only by shadows and temporal things, i.e. the promised land, the temple, the sacrifices...

Dt 29:29
    29 The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.
    NIV

Jesus taught much more and the apostles continue to proclaim the kingdom by God's word.

It is still a mystery and can't be defined beyond the word itself....beyond our getting a concordance and looking at each section which speaks of the kingdom.
    And heal the sick that are therein and say to them: The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you. (Luke 10:9)
    It's my believe that what was being taught was about the priestly Kingdom God promised to Moses; “you shall be to me a priestly kingdom”

Let's extend this a bit further, wouldn't we say that all of the creation is God's Kingdom?

JoeT
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 10:53 AM

Yes all creation is God's kingdom but also realize what Jesus said during his temptation
    And what the Bible says about the principalities and powers of the air and the rulers of this world.

I agree with Jakester on everything he has said.

The kingdom is within the true believers and it is also something we look forward to.
    Though now I look through the glass dimly one day I see face to face and this world grows strangely dim.
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 12:48 PM

Joe:
    Perhaps the answer that can offer conclusion to part of these questions is found in the frame work of fellowship known as Christianity. Eph 2: 19-22 offers us the idea that through the Holy Spirit, we together can build upon what will be for the habitation of God.

Eph 2:19-22 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner [stone]; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 01:08 PM

We still have to understand also that man of the Old Testment wanted what they could see, and it was their down fall. God permitted man to form leaders by land ownership which then became ruled by Kings. The New Testment brought change, yet the rulers were still the Kings of this earth. Revelation tells us that Christ will come as the prince ...1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him [be] glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Christ is coming to claim the throne of David.. King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

1 Cr 15:23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
    1 Cr 15:24-27 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under [him, it is] manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
    1 Cr 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 03:22 PM

Do you suppose that nobody asked, well just what the Kingdom of God is? In fact couldn’t we say that a component of his ministry was to teach of the Kingdom of God?
    You're exactly right, JoeT. The Kingdom figures prominently in the Dead Sea Scrolls, and was likely a question posed by the followers of John the Baptist. You're also quite right to say that

the Apostles went out and taught this mystery
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 10:39 PM
    Joe:
    Perhaps the answer that can offer conclusion to part of these questions is found in the frame work of fellowship known as Christianity. Eph 2: 19-22 offers us the idea that through the Holy Spirit, we together can build upon what will be for the habitation of God.

Eph 2:19-22 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner [stone]; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
    It’s funny that you should use Paul’s letter to the Ephesians, I was looking at it to show that Christ intended to leave his Kingdom here on earth in the capable hands of Peter and the rest of the Apostles. The reason is clear, it’s in these verses of Ephesians where we see the depth of what John saw in Revelations chapter 1, “from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the first begotten of the dead and the prince of the kings of the earth, who hath loved us and washed us from our sins in his own blood, And hath made us a kingdom, and priests to God and his Father. “ (Rev 1:5,6)

Now therefore you are no more strangers and foreigners: but you are fellow citizens with the saints and the domestics of God: Built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone:

These verses show the supporting elements of the Kingdom on earth, the apostles, the prophets, and Jesus Christ as the Corner stone. Even buildings today, we find the name of the owner, founder on the corner stone along with the date of completion. Some would say that Christ is the foundation on which our faith is based: and he is. But, he’s the foundation in the sense of its founder, not the foundation on which the structure is bound. The Roman Church holds that Christ is the founder on which Peter the stone foundation was placed. Through God’s grace, we are able to participate in the construction and occupation of the Kingdom.

In whom all the building, being framed together, groweth up into an holy temple in the Lord. In whom you also are built together into an habitation of God in the Spirit.

This foundation is built on both Gentile and Jew; as well as the Apostles, the Prophets and its’ founder Christ. A union “framed together”, because “being many, are one bread, one body: all that partake of one bread." (Cf. 1 Cor 10:17). A universal Kingdom of God of one root, bound together in spirit of the cornerstons purpose.

And so we say “And hath made us a kingdom, and priests to God and his Father” inherited by default from the Jews, It was from the Sanhedrin that the power transferred given to a nation yielding the first fruit, Christ (Cf Matt 21:43). This Kingdom is fulfillment of God’s promise to Moses, to build a priestly Kingdom, and a holy nation. (Ex. 19:6)

JoeT
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 10:54 PM
    Joe,
    I believe that the Kingdom of God on earth is different from the Kingdom in Heaven.
    The Kingdom on earth is to be a refection of the one in heaven,
    “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven"
    I believe that the earthly kingdom is His Holy Church and it is located wherever followers gather in worship in the many Church buildings build because of the love of God all over the world and thus it is also in the hearts and souls of those worshipers.
    I believe that we enter the Kingdom of God on earth and destined for heaven when we are baptized and confirmed in that Holy Church as members thereof.
    The priestly Kingdom God told Moses would be his people I believe was later taken away and much later SOMEWHAT restored with the birth, baptism , and confirmation of the Highest of high priests, Jesus Christ, who is now king of heaven's AND earth's kingdom.
    The earthly kingdom with him as supreme head has a prime minister (vicar) and earthly princes of that Church called Bishops.
    I believe that the Holy Spirit was given as guide to the first princes and He still does so 2000 years later.
    I believe that the members of that Kingdom are bothers and sisters of Christ the King and destined for heaven.
    I hope and pray that none fall away and all make it to the Heavenly Kingdom where Jesus said "I go to prepare a place for you."
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 10:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoue View Post
    You're exactly right, JoeT. The Kingdom figures prominently in the Dead Sea Scrolls, and was likely a question posed by the followers of John the Baptist. You're also quite right to say that
    I didn't have any special knowledge when I suggested that those listening to Christ would ask, “What is this Kingdom”. Instead I relied on plain ol' common sense. In Christ's day, just like it is among some circles today; teaching of such a Kingdom would have been unique – a kingdom partially spiritual and partially temporal. Occupied by three separate groups, those in the Church Militant, the Church Suffering, and the Church Triumphant, bound together in Christ.

What is good to know is that history proves out our humanity. But, here it comes, I'd really be interested in some references. I remember about ten years ago they put some of the Dead Sea Scrolls on line. Of course, I couldn't make heads or tails of them – it was all Greek to me!

JoeT

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kingdom hearts [ 9 Answers ]

I know you are going to think I am being childish but I love kingdom hearts. Anyone here feel the same?:)

The Kingdom of God [ 23 Answers ]

What is "the Kingdom of God " ? Where can we find IT ?

Kingdom Hearts 2 [ 6 Answers ]

What song is in the main menu? When you choose new game or load game. :confused:

Animal Kingdom [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know anything about it. Its asking of examples on all these classes and subclasses, phylums... please explain what these are

Animal Kingdom [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Please what are the scientific names and classification of animal kingdom which classes and phyla are the following organisms: Bat, cockcroach, prawn, tapeworm, frog, butterfly, millipid, earthworm, bacteria, bluealgae. Thanks

View more questions Search