Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nalsalam Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 06:51 PM
    P-trap to 2" waste pipe for a new sink
    I'm installing a new sink. The iron waste pipe that sticks 4" out of the wall is 2" in diameter. My sink has a 1.25" drain pipe installed. I know that I can get a P-trap with 1.5" ion both ends, but can I get one with 1.5" on the sink end and 2" on the waste pipe end? If not, what are my options? Thanks for your help.

P.S.: My old sink had a 90 degree angle that went from 2" (female) to 1.5" (male) and then a trap than went from 1.5" to 1.5". Unfortunately, that whole set up comes out about 9" away from the wall and my new sink (wall mounted) has its drain 8" from the wall. That's why I was hoping to find a P-trap because they are "adjustable", right? If I have to add too many pieces I will quickly be too far away from the wall.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 4, 2009, 07:27 PM

I don't know of any tubular trap that will go from 2 to 1 1/2. only can think of two options. Either unthread galv nipple from fitting and use a bushing or short nipple and bell reducer. Or just cut the pipe off about an inch to inch and a half from the wall and use fernco coupling(2x1 1/2) and put in a fitting trap adapter into 1 1/2 side of ferno. One way or another, you will have to reduce the drain to 1 1/2.

Can you show a pic of your current setup? This would help tremendously.

Jan 5, 2009, 04:22 PM
    Attached is a picture of my situation. It isn't obvious, but the wall hung sink is tilted an inch or so away from the wall for its drain to meet the trap.
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 04:34 PM

Your trap is 1 1/4, the drain going into the wall is most likely 1 1/2. Outside diameter will be a little larger than that. I would try the plastic trap and use a 1 1/2x1 1/4 ring. They do make a flexable plastic trap, I don't like them, but it may help in this case.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Hi all...

Like MGD77 suggested, if you don't care about finish look, first step is to try the 1.5" x 1.25" chrome nut and fiber washer with an 1.25" tubular ptrap WITH flexible riser...see picture below.

If that fails, second step would be to cut the 1.5" galvanized pipe (measures 2"+ diameter) and use a 1.5" plastic x 1.25" tubular fernco coupling...see 2nd picture...and use a 1.25" tubular chrome p trap.

Both of these options are not high quality finish however, as you already know.

Finally, you could try to take a large wrench and back that 1.5" glavanized pipe out of the fittimg in the wall... but beware it could snap off and then things get tougher... ;)

Let us know what you think here...

MARK
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 04:52 PM

Mark said it best. You can be glad that he is here to help.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 04:54 PM
    Please... you said it just as good. I just have many pictures in my library :)

Let me know when you want to learn how Lee... ;) I'll have you posting pics. Overnight!

MARK

Jan 5, 2009, 04:58 PM

Thanks, both of you. I appreciate very much learning that the pipe from the wall is 1.5" even though it measures closer to 2" o.d. That really had me hung up.

I will try these approaches and take pictures of the results!
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 04:59 PM

Okay, but I warn you that I'm computer retarded. Lets give this a go. Also, my computer is about ten years old with no upgrades, and my high speed service is terrible. Im willing to try, but it may take some time.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 05:03 PM
    Nalsalam... thank you... good luck!

Lee... Look for a private message from me sometime tonight or early AM.. ok?

We will work it through... easier then you think I bet!

Talk soon...
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 05:06 PM

Okay, but it may be tomorrow after work, or sometime soon tonight. I really appreciate your help. Your help will help me help others.

Wow. Am I allowed to say the word "help" that many times in one sentence.LOL.

Jan 6, 2009, 05:25 PM
    I've cut off the 1.5" i.d. iron pipe and the larger end of the 1.5" x 1.25" fernco fits snugly around it. However, the 1.5" waste bend pipe does not fit snugly in the 1.25" end of the fernco. See picture. The inside diameter of the 1.25" end of the fernco is actually something like 1.65", so there is about .15" of slop. What should I do? Thanks.
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Jan 6, 2009, 05:40 PM

You can actually just tighten the clamp on the small side and it will tighten enough to make a seal. But I would insert an 1 1/4 fitting trap adapter into 1 1/4 side of adapter clamp and then use the nut and ring that came with the trap to make the connection instead.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 6, 2009, 06:11 PM
    Hi Nalsalam...

You bought the wrong fernco... :( You could tighten as MGD said... would work.. but look funny... :)

If you go back to post #5... and I should have emphasized it stronger so really my fault here, but you wanted to order the 1.5" plastic x 1.25 tubular clamp. Usually LIGHT GRAY COLOR at home depot.

OK... I'm back with a picture of it and the home depot website so you can print it off and bring it with you to show them... hope that resolves for you... :)

The 1.5" galvanized will be a very tight fit, but it will work. The 1.25" tubular pipe should be perfect fit.

AOL Search

You can even see the word TUBULAR printed on the rubber... ;)

Again, sorry... I should have emphasized it!

Let me know if you have questions...

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting to 1 1/2" copper drain with pvc kitchen sink drain trap [ 8 Answers ]

I'm trying to rehook up the kitchen sink pvc trap to the old copper drain pipe but the connector doesn't fit tight enough and the water links out. Any ideas how to stop this leak?

Connecting PVC P-Trap to Metal Waste Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing the drain in the bathroom lavatory. Is it OK to connect PVC to the existing metal pipe in the wall?

Moving waste pipe from kitchen sink [ 4 Answers ]

:rolleyes: I recently had a conservatory build but the builders did not move the kitchen sink/washing machine waste pipe. I now have a radiator cover covering what was the external pipe and drain. Can you tell me what I have to do to have this moved. I did think of putting new pipes along the...

How to tap into buried 4" CI waste pipe? [ 4 Answers ]

Here's the situation: There is a 3" cast iron main stack in the house (built in 1969, in MD, code is IPC) that empties into a 4" CI (with cleanout) pipe that exits through the cinder-block foundation. The pipe comes out of the foundation 14" below grade on the outside. I have uncovered it, and...

Broken Concrete trap "Drainage Pipe" [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a house with a unfinished basement bath. I have since decided to finish the bathroom but have ran into a bit of a problem. The previous owners set all of the drains up and I have since found a large hole in the trap of a secondary drain that drains into the main. To explain it...

View more questions Search