Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Jan 4, 2009, 06:19 PM
    Random Universe
    Have you guys ever think to it that our universe is one of billions of random universes? Like for example, maybe our universe is a marble. The marble is in a jar with millions of other marbles, which is like our marble, universes. Have you even think that, maybe the trillions of sands on the beaches are universes of different dimensions? Every dot of sand is another universe, with, their own laws and things like that? I know it sounds crazy, but I was just wondering so ferociously... Very mysterious... :rolleyes:
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2009, 06:33 PM

People have hypothesized exactly this. You can read about the "multiverse" here for example. Multiverse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia talks both about science fiction and religious ideas and also the work of physicists.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 09:18 AM

This is exactly what happens at the end of men in black..

Jan 5, 2009, 05:27 PM

I am not sure I mentioned this. And the jar of marble is in a room of a family. Or, the beach where the sands is in a country of another earth, in a higher dimension.

It's like have you seen a magazine page where it shows a guy ripping a magazine with another guy in the magazine that the first guy is ripping, he too is ripping a magazine? It just goes on like that, each one ripping a magazine of a man that is too, ripping a magazine. This is what I am talking about...
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 07:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by survivorboi View Post
    I am not sure i mentioned this. And the jar of marble is in a room of a family. Or, the beach where the sands is in a country of another earth, in a higher dimension.

It's like have you seen a magazine page where it shows a guy ripping a magazine with another guy in the magazine that the first guy is ripping, he too is ripping a magazine? It just goes on like that, each one ripping a magazine of a man that is too, ripping a magazine. This is what i am talking about....
    I personally think this is unlikely, even though it's a cool concept--universes within universes--because chemists and physicists who study molecules and atoms have shown what things are made of on a smaller scale and it doesn't appear to be more universes. On the other hand, subatomic physics is REALLY weird.

Watch this if you haven't already. :)
    YouTube - Dr Quantum - Double Slit Experiment

Jan 6, 2009, 06:01 PM

I love hearing all these opinions =)
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jan 10, 2009, 06:48 PM
    I don't know about a universe within a universe, but one has to wonder what is on the other side of the border of our universe?

I can easilly imagine an endless vacuum of space and dark matter between universes. These universes, all expanding, yet trillion opon trillion opon trillion X10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00 0,000,000, light year apart from one another, just an endess endless number of events happening.

SOMETHING has to be on the other side of the boundies of our universe!

Jan 10, 2009, 06:52 PM

What if one universe hit another?

Jan 10, 2009, 06:57 PM
    What if it already has?
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Jan 17, 2009, 09:58 AM
    Nice speculation. But speculation only. We will never know, as we are part of this universe, with time and space as in our universe. So for us there is no outside of this universe. Also more dimensions are speculation. All we know we have for sure are height, width, depth, and time.
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2009, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sarnian View Post
    Nice speculation. But speculation only. We will never know, as we are part of this universe, with time and space as in our universe. So for us there is no outside of this universe. Also more dimensions are speculation. All we know we have for sure are height, width, depth, and time.
    I'm not sure I agree with this. We can take predictions from theories that have multiple dimensions and test the ramifications in our 4 dimensions, that at least gives some credibility to extra dimensions, if it were to happen (I believe that the LHC will be able to test some of these theories).

I mean, we do the same thing with black holes. Nobody has seen a black hole, but we predict what we should observe if a black hole were there.

Jan 17, 2009, 12:39 PM

You guys all have great ideas. Maybe I should put this on discussion...
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Jan 17, 2009, 12:43 PM

Okay, the vast spaces between universes comment makes me think of Doctor Who, the NEW series, "Army of Ghosts." I JUST watched it like, 2 days ago.

Jan 17, 2009, 01:04 PM

It's the same thing as to what we will see if we were to approach the speed of light.

Personally, I don't think our body could withstand such a speed and not be vaporized or something, but just to say we could survive in some sort of a space craft, what would it look like?

Also, I watched something on TV a while back, that apparently, some scientist thing there are "things" that CAN move faster than the speed of light.

I can't remember what it was, but it was something on the quantum level I'm sure.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Jan 17, 2009, 01:20 PM

Only thing that rings a bell to me that can defy the speed of light is whatever is involved with Quantum Entanglement. As a physical link, that is.
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewc24301 View Post
    It's the same thing as to what we will see if we were to approach the speed of light.

Personally, I don't think our body could withstand such a speed and not be vaporized or something, but just to say we could survive in some sort of a space craft, what would it look like?

Also, I watched something on TV a while back, that apparently, some scientist thing there are "things" that CAN move faster than the speed of light.

I can't remember what it was, but it was something on the quantum level I'm sure.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
    Theoretically, tachyons can travel faster than the speed of light, but they're just theoretical at the moment, nobody has detected them.

Tachyon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia talks about them, but it's not an easy read! :)

Theoretically, as you approach the speed of light, all lengths contract to 0, so you can travel anywhere instantly. This is the idea behind the twin paradox, if you had a twin, and he travelled at the speed of light to somewhere 1 light year away and back, you would have seen him take 2 years for that journey, and you would be 2 years older. But for him it took no time at all, and he would be the same age as when he left.

Jan 17, 2009, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin View Post
    Theoretically, tachyons can travel faster than the speed of light, but theyre just theoretical at the moment, nobody has detected them.

Tachyon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia talks about them, but it's not an easy read! :)

Theoretically, as you approach the speed of light, all lengths contract to 0, so you can travel anywhere instantly. This is the idea behind the twin paradox, if you had a twin, and he travelled at the speed of light to somewhere 1 lightyear away and back, you would have seen him take 2 years for that journey, and you would be 2 years older. But for him it took no time at all, and he would be the same age as when he left.

Would this fall into the same scenario as it is said time actually slows the faster one travels. So as one travels the speed of light, time all but stops?

It would go along with the "instant travel". Light leaves the sun, it takes eight minutes to reach earth, however if you caught a ride on one of those "light beams" (pardon my crude example) it would be instant?

I'm on the sun, my watch says 12:00, I ride the speed of light to earth, when I arrive, my watch still says 12:00, however on Earth it is 12:08. Is this how it works?

I don't even think that's a theory anymore, as it has been proven in GPS satillites which are traveling very fast around the Earth. (nowhere near the speed of light), but I watched a documentary where they said those satillites are programmed to calculate time so it stays accurate with Earth. Apparently, left unchecked, time on the satillites moves slighty slower than on Earth.

Not slow enough for us to notice. I think they said that the satillite may loose one second for every million or so years on earth, but it was enough to cause problems in computers which have to be dead on accurate.
    nike 1 Posts: 167, Reputation: 16
    -

Jan 17, 2009, 02:17 PM

Sort of like Horton Hears a Who! An amazing concept! But no, I don't think there are any other universes or other forms of life beyond our planet.
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2009, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewc24301 View Post
    Would this fall into the same scenario as it is said time actually slows the faster one travels. So as one travels the speed of light, time all but stops?

It would go along with the "instant travel". Light leaves the sun, it takes eight minutes to reach earth, however if you caught a ride on one of those "light beams" (pardon my crude example) it would be instant?

I'm on the sun, my watch says 12:00, I ride the speed of light to earth, when I arrive, my watch still says 12:00, however on Earth it is 12:08. Is this how it works?

I don't even think that's a theory anymore, as it has been proven in GPS satillites which are traveling very fast around the Earth. (nowhere near the speed of light), but I watched a documentary where they said those satillites are programmed to calculate time so it stays accurate with Earth. Apparently, left unchecked, time on the satillites moves slighty slower than on Earth.

Not slow enough for us to notice. I think they said that the satillite may loose one second for every million or so years on earth, but it was enough to cause problems in computers which have to be dead on accurate.
    Yes, that's exactly the same thing, length contracts and time slows. Someone watching you from Earth would not see the second hand on your clock move at all, even though they see it take you 8 minutes to get to them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I don't even think that's a theory anymore". I think you misunderstand what a theory is (in the scientific sense). A theory is a framework of explanation that explains why the things that we observe are. We extend theories to say "if we look at this, then we should observe this phenomenon", and this allows us to test the accuracy of our theories. Theories are the highest held accomplishment of science, and nothing stops being a thoery unless it is replaced by a better (and different) theory.

Jan 17, 2009, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "I don't even think that's a theory anymore". I think you misunderstand what a theory is (in the scientific sense). A theory is a framework of explanation that explains why the things that we observe are. We extend theories to say "if we look at this, then we should observe this phenomenon", and this allows us to test the accuracy of our theories. Theories are the highest held accomplishment of science, and nothing stops being a thoery unless it is proven completely incorrect.

I stand corrected. I love this subject, even if my terminoligy leads something to be desired. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Universe Age [ 11 Answers ]

What is the age of the universe and how do we know that? ;)

Wats there outside the universe [ 3 Answers ]

I'm confused... people say the is a single universe. If the universe is fixed in size wats there outside our universe?? can't there be another nos. of universes??

Across The Universe [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know the name to the song that he starts singing at the very biggening "is there anyone going to listen to my story, or about the girl who came to stay?" Here's the link to the trailer MySpaceTV: Across The Universe Trailer by Nugeman :) Thank you soooo much

Across the universe [ 5 Answers ]

Across The Universe - Official Site " Came out Yesterday in theaters i believe. OKAY. This movie was AMAZING. I fell in love with it. If it was a person I'd marry it. Yea, I guess you can say its a 2 hour music video but its just igjiogkhsdkj i love it!

The Universe [ 3 Answers ]

Is the Universe symmetrical? I know it's contantly expanding, but are all sides expanding at the same rate?

View more questions Search