Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wilsc54 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 05:38 PM
    "Do It Yourselfer" With wet Basement
    Here are the facts about my situation:

House built in 1947
    Walls are Cinder Block
    Water is coming in during heavy rains and large snow thaws.
    Water comes in on the back wall and side wall by driveway. It seems to come through between the wall and floor.
    There are no cracks in concrete floor where water comes in
    When it gets wet it is small enough to be "shop-vacced" but large enough to be multiple puddles
    Gutters are working properly
    Grading seems OK... no obvious slope toward home

Is it possible to resolve the water problem with JUST a sump pump install? Or will it be necessary to install corrugated pipe along leaky walls from the inside?

I don't mind doing the work from the inside... I'd rather not dig from the outside. This would cause me to have to tear up driveway and deck.

I will be glad to give more info (pics) if needed.

Thanks,

Chris
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2009, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Is it possible to resolve the water problem with JUST a sump pump install? Or will it be necessary to install corrugated pipe along leaky walls from the inside?
    Yes install sump pump and drain it out and away from house. Normally We cut the concrete floor a 6" inches away from the inside of the basement wall the we use 'rice mix" stone to fill the ditch and perforated pipe in ditch along wall to get it right. Just stone alone would work but pipe is the best way to go to sump pit. We pour a 1 1/2 inch concrete to cap the ditch. For as little as the water your getting this should work fine. I've excavated out side on some jobs but sound mild, PS don't forget check valve on discharge of sump pump.

Signed 21 Boat

If I helped to Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

Is there a "flap" for a basement toilet that water comes in under? [ 27 Answers ]

We have an issue with the city's sewer system in which when it rains (pours, hard) water will come back into the house from out back. The clean out "flap" will close outside but it's never air tight, thus allowing some water back in. the only place it comes in is under our toilet in the...

"Belly" in basement sewage line - options? [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks for looking in. Here is the situation. I had our basement finished 4 years ago to include the addition of a full bath using the existing roughins. We noticed overtime the basement toilet will not drain properly after flushing. We'll have to plunge it and occasionally this has caused the...

View more questions Search