Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oOfelixOo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 05:12 PM
    Slow Draining Toilet, Clogged somewhere, any ideas?
    :mad: Well we just had a 200 dollar visit from Mr. Rooter the other day. But it seems like we may still have a problem.

Our toilet was draining slowly and we snaked everything and it still did it. (we just bought this house).. so we were then walking around back and I saw a hole.. with what I thought was insulation around it in the snow.. nope, it was Toilet paper.. Long story short, they cut the old vent down and left it out in the open when they moved the bathroom. (there was a major renovation before we moved in)... So, we called mr rooter and he snaked from the house to the septic since we had already snaked everything here.

Occasionally there was the sound of air in the sinks when we showered. We put a temp. cap on the pipe, because it was old thinwall and we couldn't find a cleanout to fit. (much to my husbands chagrin)...

After we capped that old vent.. things flushed.. but then... the toilet stopped flushing, things were clogged, and wastewater came up the shower.

Enter Mr. Rooter.. he snaked or whatever from the house to the septic.. and two days later, I have slow draining toliets again after my shower.

Any advice?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 4, 2009, 05:31 PM

Time to call a septic pro to evaluate your tank and fields. If it truns out that your field is bad you may have some recourse with the old seller. This would not be a hidden problem and should have been declared, if its bad.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2009, 06:32 PM
    I would get a honey wagon and pump the septic tank out And see how that does. The only thing after that is the pipe run to the distribution box and then drain field. If tank clean of solids and the line to this. Box open it's a drainfeild failure. You MUST do this pronto for obvious reasons. If it is a failed drainfeild and it was not on the realestate documents of "discloser" Some one is in deep do do .
    Good luck.

Signed 21 boat

If I helped to Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2009, 08:15 PM

First I would have a talk with Mr Rooter about him not performing the job that he was paid to do. If he could not unstop your pipes he should have known the there was a problem with the septic swytem, and he should have informed you the first time that he was there.

I agree wiwth 21baot about getting the tank pumped, them for a few months I would use a double dose each month of a product called "Rid-ex" or use powdered yeast in abundance.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 07:02 PM

If the field has failed no amount of pumping or Ridex will help you. Call a pro, get it pumped and have a field inspection done. Replacing a field can run $15,000. I have run into situations where an old field failed and the property could not meet the standards for a new field.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intermittant slow flushing and or clogged toilet [ 6 Answers ]

I have 2 bathrooms both toilets intermittantly over flow or have slow flushing. I've adjusted the water level to the maximun level to make sure the bowl fills quickly, but that leads to it over flowing at times. Sometimes even if a little tp is used it doen't flush until I use a plunger. Any...

Slow draining tub and toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Need some help here. Tub in main bath drains very slowwww. ( you know if you take a shower you are also taking abath) If I put my hand over it and make like a plunger I can get it to go faster. Also toilet in same bath will sometimes back up to top ( without overflowing) eventually will go down...

Slow drains and clogged toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have been snaking my toilet for 25 feet and it still backs up. My sinks are clogging also. Are they all going to the same drain line?

Slow draining toilet [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, A few days ago my toilet started to drain slowly, the toilet releases all of the water from the cistern but it just fills up then drains slowly. So far I have plunged the toilet which has not worked and put a 6ft flexible cleaning rod down which went straight through the pipes no...

Slow draining toilet [ 4 Answers ]

I've finished putting new seal on toilet and I have put a new tank on . Now when the toilet is flushed you need to hold the lever down and after all the water is out of the tank, the toilet finally drains. Then it seems to take awhile for the tank to fill back up with water... over a min. is that...

View more questions Search