Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulamma1 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 02:19 PM
    Older cats ganging up on newer cats
    Hi. I have two 14 year old cats, I recently introduced two 4 year old sisters. We attempted to "introduce" them correctly. Over the last week or so, one of the older cats stalks and corners either of the younger cats with the other older cat joining in for good measure. The noise is terrifying. And now one of the younger cats is peeing: in the corner up on top of the kitchen cabinets, in the corner on the granite (!), in the corner in the basement. I've sprayed all areas with "Urine Off". Please help! At the moment I have both pairs totally separated. The new ones in the basement with a litter tray, water and I'll start feeding them there as well. The older girls have the run of the rest of the house with their own litter tray. The minute I start to bring them together, the older girl immeadiately starts jumping on and cornering the new ones.

Jan 5, 2009, 12:48 PM

All four are female and all are neutered, if this helps.
    de_de_gc Posts: 66, Reputation: 4

Jan 6, 2009, 08:09 PM

You know, I have the same issue with two cats I brought home from the shelter at the same time. I thought they would be company to each other, but one picks, and the other just does not seem to like other cats.--Since I rescue kittens, that poor guy must be going crazy with all of the invaders in his territory.

Have you tried making sure the older cats get A LOT of attention when the newer cat is around? Mine really act up when one is getting more attention than the other.

When all else fails I use the water bottle on the one doing the chasing/attacking.

I have not had to deal with the potty issue, but perhaps you can buy a supply of those small cat pans (or a pie tin) and put them wherever the cat likes to urinate. This has worked for me when having a hard time with getting new cats to use the box. Yes, you will have kitty litter all over your beautiful countertops for a while, but not forever.

I know that none of things I do is a real solution; I wish there was an easy answer.

Perhaps your older cats are just not going to accept the newer one.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 08:46 PM

Male cats will often form a gang and get along much better than females. I suggest desegregating them under supervision. When the older female is aggressive, promptly take her into another room and close the door. Leave her there alone. If the other female then also behaves in an aggressive way, promptly do the same thing. Don't put them both in the same room together. Let them cool their heels alone for ten or fifteen minutes and then let them return and try again, one at a time. While the older cat/cats are locked away, spend time doting on the new arrivals. Explore the house with them, let them move around without fear of being pounced on, etc. You need to calm the nerves of the one who is having accidents, and this is one thing you can do to help her feel unafraid. Let her know that you'll protect her and that you'll spend time with her while the others are in time-out.

Cats are obviously different from dogs, but the older cats will look to you for cues in much the way dogs do. This is what I've seen with my cats over the years: The older ones need to be, how shall I say, chastened--especially the older females. Keep them apart when you're out of the house, but when you are at home, let them mingle and get to know one another. But be vigilant. It will take them some time to work out their own dynamic; you just have to be the traffic cop. Well, that and set the tone by disciplining offenders. Let the older cats see the newer ones on your lap, let them see that you've accepted them into the family.

Be forewarned, I've seen this process take several months to work itself out. But gradually, they'll either learn to like one another or to give one another space.

Jan 7, 2009, 08:23 AM

Thanks you both so much for the replies. We have kept them totally separate, allowing the younger ones to get back some sense of safety/relaxation and just last night started to have all four get together again while being VERY attentive. (Traffic cop, I love it!) When we're at work they all stay separate and tonight we'll again have a get together.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how we get on.
    lshadylady Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jun 24, 2009, 10:41 PM

Paulamma
    I wonder how your cats get along now.
    I have two cats who do not really like each other and fight but tolerate each other. I got them both from the SPCA, from the Lonely Hearts Club. They had been in there for about 6 months. No One wanted them. The little female was half ferral and the male was just antisocial but wanted to be loved I could tell. He is a giant black cat, HUGE. Not fat. He looks like a panther. She is a petite little thing and very lively. She minds me like a dog. She sits up and begs for dinner, I can show her where to jump next to get out of trouble when she gets too high to be safe. We talk all the time and she has taken on some human characteristics with her "talking" She seldom meows, always a trilling noise like I am her kitten.(She had 3 kittens when she was 6 months old according to her historyl) That's why she stayed so small I guess. She's not ferral anymore! She is my constant companion.She is a witch cat. Very intelligent. I can teach her a new trick in minutes. Even tough she is small, she bosses the big black cat "Bubba". He has thick lips and drools. He is in love with my son in law and will wait for him to come see him by the hour. My son in law loves him too but he has birds and we know Bubba would make quick work of them! He has a Cat house in the window and he lays on the roof and looks out doors at the birds all day.Sometimes he hides inside and I can't find him and forget how he can't be seen inside his house because he is so black.I have had them for four years in May and they still don't get along real well. Fight all the time! I'm always yelling at them to stop fighting, and they do for a little while. I feed them separately and they each have their own favorite room they live in. They come out together when there is company now for the last six months. They used to hide under the beds or the little one would come out and bite peopls legs and feet if they touched anything of mine or picked up a magazine, she would fight for it! She still does but everyone knows her know and its not a problem. You just pick her up and hold her up close and kind of tight like "bundling" a baby and she settles right down and is all kissy for hours. I often wonder how their lives were before I got them. Now they are spoiled rotten.
    gfclef Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 02:52 PM
    I have a mother and a grandmother cat that are all of a sudden ganging up on one the 3 younger females (their own kittens, now about 1 year old) Last week they started ganging up on a new young cat that was introduced to the house about 2 months ago. They succeeded on running her out of the house as soon as the door was cracked. The remaining young female is hiding out in my bedroom window. She pissed herself during the mêlée. The older cats sit outside the door. I've tried swatting them with newspapers, but they keep returning.

gfclef

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cats are aggressive to the other cats. [ 3 Answers ]

I have 5 cats, but 2 of them (both girls) are very aggressive towards the others. I'm a bit worried because they keep beating up on my kitten... So far she's got a torn ear, a chunk out of her leg, several scratches, and very uneven fur. I locked them into my room to avoid trouble, but is there an...

Wt. Loss in older cats [ 1 Answers ]

I have found that as all of my cats that reach their golden years they start losing weight.I know that most of it comes from kidney disease that elderly cats most always succomb to eventually.My girl is an indoor cat and is clean of parasites.Anyway,I see all kinds of weight loss foods on the...

2 older cats [ 2 Answers ]

Recently, I have notice my 2 (indoor/outdoor) cats not eating or hardly eating, like they normally would. I had bought a different brand of cat food for them to enjoy, and they both snubbed it. I then bought their regular food and still, they are snubbing the food dish. This has been going on for...

Coon Hound with older dogs and cats [ 10 Answers ]

It is site policy to answer questions in the public forum There are those that would go to a breed description and insist the Coon Hound would be just like it. Yes, many of a breed do have the behaviors the breed is known for. Many do not. Froggy's Greyhound seems to be a much better match...

My new female cats hates all my male cats! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new female cat but she is like a year old, all my male cats like her and want to see her buy she just starts hissing at them and they get away... I want them to get along but I don't know how... I have 4 males one is a year old , the othere one is 5 months and the other 2 are 2...

View more questions Search