Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sturoc Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Audio photo preview pane in XP missing
    Recently installed Xp home and it's been a bear customizing -coming from W2K pro.
    Previously in 2kpro folders I would mouse over an audio icon or photo/video icon and it would play/show a preview on the left side without opening the file. A handy feature But I cannot find it in XP.
    Can you help?
    Thanks
    Stu
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 4, 2009, 06:22 PM
    Add Audio PREVIEW to the right-click context menu

1. Open Windows Explorer and choose Tools > Folder Options > File Types
    2. Scroll through the list to find the audio file type you want to change. For this example, choose WAV
    3. Click the Advanced button
    4. Click the New button
    5. For Action, type the word Preview
    6. For Application, type the following exactly as shown without quotes:
      C:\Windows\System32\Mplay32.exe /Play
    7. Click OK > OK > Close

Now when you right-click on an MP3 file from within Windows Explorer, you will see a Preview option in the pop-up menu. To preview a file, right-click and choose Preview. To close the preview application, just hit ALT+F+X on your computer keyboard. It's much quicker and easier to audition audio files this way under Windows XP.

(Source)
    sturoc Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 11:12 PM
    Okay, Quicker ? Not so sure. Prior to going XP, I was able to just put the mouse pointer on the icon -no clicking involved- and it would bring the preview player up in the left pane. This also was good for photos and video as well.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 12:35 AM

Quicker under XP... without this little trick, you most likely have to double-click the item and get it playing under Windows Media Player.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Date Missing on Digital Photo [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have Sony digital camera DSCP93 . When I view the photo in the camera, the date and time appears on the photo's clicked. However when these photo's are downloaded on the PC the Date & Time are Missing. Please advice.

Missing Audio Files [ 2 Answers ]

When I open my retail DVDs it doesn't show any audio files. Also when trying to convert the file it says that there is no audio. But when I play the DVD there is audio. Where is the audio?

Double pane window single pane broken [ 2 Answers ]

Our house is about 20 years old. It was built with Gapco double pane windows. A couple of days ago something hit the outside of the double living room window and broke one the outside panes of glass. How do I go about getting the glass replaced? Thanks

Want to get rid of preview pane! [ 1 Answers ]

I use OE 6 and I don't want my messages to automatically open in the preview pane and I've reset the options a million times for it NOT to show the messages, but it STILL shows the message in the preview pane. Any ideas?? PLEASE? Thanks!

View more questions Search