Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rubberduck10 Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2009, 09:07 AM
    Diabetic meal?
    Hey everyone! My grandmother is a diabetic and she has done so much for us over the years. My grandfather just got out of the hospital and we want to cook them am meal. It has to be a diabetic meal, so my grandmother can eat it. Thanks!

rubberduck10
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2009, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberduck10 View Post
    Hey everyone! My grandmother is a diabetic and she has done so much for us over the years. My grandfather just got out of the hospital and we want to cook them am meal. It has to be a diabetic meal, so my grandmother can eat it. Thanks!

rubberduck10

Do they have other health concerns? Does your Grandmother count carbs? Is she on oral medication or insulin?

My husband was a brittle diabetic and we managed his diet for years.

The best site for diabetic info is: Nutrition & Recipes - American Diabetes Association
    rubberduck10 Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2009, 02:18 PM

Hey judykaytee,

Just anything you would find in a cookbook would be fine.
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2009, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberduck10 View Post
    hey judykaytee,

just anything you would find in a cookbook would be fine.

Give me a hint here what you are thinking about - did you read the diabetic site which has recipes?

Without knowing the type of medication, how your Grandmother manages her diabetes, it's almost impossible to know what her dietary restrictions are. If she measures, carbs, for example, that's one problem. If she has kidney problems related to diabetes, that's another.

Need more info - or just go to the diabetes site I posted and pick a recipe.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2009, 06:26 PM

If their blood sugar is in check, try not to make meals over 60 carbs - so if she would like to "cheat", find out what type of desert she would like to have and get the carbs on that

So, if the desert is 25 carbs, make the meal 35 carbs but keep 60 carbs as the total carb count for the meal including desert
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2009, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    If their blood sugar is in check, try not to make meals over 60 carbs - so if she would like to "cheat", find out what type of desert she would like to have and get the carbs on that

So, if the desert is 25 carbs, make the meal 35 carbs but keep 60 carbs as the total carb count for the meal including desert

I don't know what the rule of thumb is but we also looked at carbs and sugars and carbs and total calories -

Wasn't a straight carb count.
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 01:10 AM

Well 60 carbs per meal is rule of thumb and as sugars are carbs, the sugars would be included in the total carb count

Here is a useful site for food items and their carb content
    Carb Counter - Search Carb Counter

And when preparing meal, check the lableling on packaging to see the size per serving and what the total carbs are per serving size
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    well 60 carbs per meal is rule of thumb and as sugars are carbs, the sugars would be included in the total carb count

here is a useful site for food items and their carb content
    Carb Counter - Search Carb Counter

And when preparing meal, check the lableling on packaging to see the size per serving and what the total carbs are per serving size

I think the "60 carbs rule of thumb" is dangerous advice when given to a child and without knowing the status of the Grandmother's diabetes.

No question the OP is attempting to do a very nice thing for the Grandparent but, as with all serious health conditions, I think she should ASK the Grandparents about dietary restrictions.

I also realize that different Physicians have different rules of thumbs for various patients and obviously your experience is different from mine.
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 08:51 AM

Not to make this a debate, but as first post mentioned - If their blood sugar is in check and of course this would involve consulting the grandparents on their dietary needs and circumstances.

I would never convey information based on a personal doctor or endocrinologist to anyone.

The information I had provided is based on studies and information supplied by the ADA and OneTouch Monitoring systems.

But in the end as just mentioned above, " this would involve consulting the grandparents on their dietary needs and circumstances."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chili meal [ 3 Answers ]

A young cowboy walks into a seedy café in Prescott, Arizona. He sits at the counter and notices an old cowboy with his arms folded Staring blankly at a full bowl of chili. After fifteen minutes of just sitting there staring at it, the young cowboy bravely asks the old cowpoke, "If you ain't gonna...

Price your meal [ 1 Answers ]

What are the cons and the pros of the idea of "bidding your meal online" like eBay auction, except this bidding is for restaurants only. Members login to my website and start to bid their meals offered by restaurant participants. Any good name for my online business? I was thinking "RESTOBAY" as...

Meal Plans? [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know where to find free meal plans online?

Choosing your last meal [ 17 Answers ]

If you knew you were going to die tomorrow morning, what would you choose to eat at your last meal? P.S. There are no limits to what you can request.

Why 30 minutes before meal? [ 1 Answers ]

The spa that introduced me metathione asked me to take the dose 30 minutes before meal... what's the explanation for this?

View more questions Search