Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Uzd2bYounger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 06:16 AM
    Does third Parvo shot produce immunity immediately?
    I brought a puppy home from the pound on Tuesday and had it's first set of vaccinations administerd that same day. Vet thought the diarrhea might be stress. Next morning she didn't eat her puppy chow and she vomited a small amount of clear fluid plus she was sleeping in my arms all morning which she didn't do the day before. I brought her back in and she was confirmed for Parvo. She was admitted on that Wed and passed away Fri night. My vet advised I get a puppy from a shelter who administers all shots and will not release them to the new owners until all three sets of shots have been administered AND the animal is spayed. My question is, I have used straight bleach on the areas outside, threw away the clothes I wore the day I had her, bleached my sneakers twice along with the inside of my house, threw away all toys, even the ones she never touched. My question is, how much time does the third shot take for the new pup to be fully immune? Thanks, Mary
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2009, 07:39 AM

Oh, I am so sorry. I can't imagine going through something like this.

I find that immunity is built up slowly: "To build up an immunity against parvo the recommended vaccination schedule is a loading dose at six weeks, a follow up four weeks later and another given four weeks after that. Six months after the last DHLP-P is given, a follow up parvo vaccination is given and then the vaccines go to an annual injection that is usually given with the law required Rabies shot. "

Yours is a good question and I hope someone has a definitive answer.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 4, 2009, 01:41 PM

I'm not 100% positive, this is just what I've been told by breeders and a vet tech.

Even with the Parvo vaccine a dog can still get the disease, although usually it's a much milder case and doesn't necessarily cause death.

Parvo is a highly contagious disease. Yes, you bleached your home, but there's no way you can bleach your yard and all of your former pups feces which will carry the disease.

Puppy's are great, but why not consider an older shelter dog, one with all it's shots up to date.

I'm so sorry for your loss, parvo is a horrible disease. I wish you all the best.

Here's a link with more info on Parvo.

Parvo FAQs
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 5, 2009, 08:47 AM

I just wanted to add one thing to this. Have you contacted the shelter where you got your pup to let them know that your pup had parvo? There are likely other pups that were also infected. I'm so sorry this happened to your new pup, but I would sure hate for it to happen to another unsuspecting person. I realise that shelters are sometimes low on funding, but they should know better than to let a pup go without it's shots, and a clean bill of health.

I too wish I could help you with your actually question, but it is also my understanding that they are never completely immune. A very good lesson to pet owners out there that walk their dogs and don't pick up after them. It could possibly infect other dogs.

I agree with adopting an older and just as deserving dog. Just think, many times they are already even house trained and spayed or neutered! That saves you a lot of time and money. :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 09:22 AM
    Usually it take 2 weeks if the shot takes. They may or may not take. There is no safe way to bring a new young puppy into your home for at least 6 months. Check Canine Parvovirus, What you should know about Your best bet is an older puppy with its shots as your vet suggested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mononucleosis Immunity [ 2 Answers ]

So I currently have mononucleosis. I was wondering about after people heal. Do they gain an immunity? Can kiss my girl friend if she has already had it in the past?

No period immediately after depo shot [ 1 Answers ]

After receiving my first depo provera shot I got an immediate loss of periods. My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex a week or so after. Can I be pregnant or is it normal?

Parvo/Distemper Shot Reaction in Pup [ 15 Answers ]

Okay so here's the story... I found a very young, stray pup at our house this morning which looked to be a great pyrenees mix of some sort. I noticed that she had tapeworms so I decided to take her to the vet to be de-wormed and have her first set of parvo/distemper shots(don't want her to have to...

Immunity for Murderes! [ 4 Answers ]

Nice way to endear yourself to a Government we are meant to be helping find its feet!! Blackwater bodyguards 'given immunity' The US State Department promised Blackwater USA bodyguards immunity from prosecution in its investigation of last month's deadly shooting of 17 Iraqi civilians,...

Second parvo shot can it wait? [ 3 Answers ]

So my puppy has had his first shots. This weekend he got injured and it took all my extra money to get him fixed. His second Parvo shot is supposed to be today. Will it hurt him if I make him wait an extra two weeks or will that null and void the first shot?

View more questions Search