Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 11, 2006, 10:04 AM
    I am so happy to hear that everything is going well. Must be going great if they are off camping!! ;)

Yeah, stay away from the milk for now. Keep in mind that apple juice can have the same effect. I like Juicy Juice as it is 100% juice and comes in great flavors.

Cheese will help bind too. All kids love cheese!! :)

Well, you take care and have a nice quiet relaxing weekend.

It is really good to hear such great news!! :D

Keep me posted just so I can hear how well they are growing. It is remarkable how you get attached to little ones you try to help even if you have never met them. I am so happy for you and your family. :D I know it was hard, but there is now a light at the end of a tunnel and it isn't a train!!
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Aug 19, 2006, 09:58 AM
    J_9, thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately, Jesse (my oldest) has diarrhea again. My wife had to got the doctor a checkup and the first thing the doctor asked was how Jesse was doing. We told her and she decided it is time to refer us to a GI doctor. Unfortunately, again, we can't get in until the edn of September. We are going to call them back and tell them the situation and see if we can get in sooner. If not, we'll call the doctor and see if she can plead with them for us. He has a really bad diaper rash. We haven't done anythig different than normal. Well, we are just to the point of trying to soothe him anyway we can. Thanks for keeping up. I'll keep you updated. :)
    Expert

Aug 19, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Will he eat rice, cheese, yogurt? These are all binding foods.

I am wondering though if he may have to be put on a gleutin free diet.

Start making a list to ask the GI. One of the questions should be if he has an allergy to gleutin.

Aug 20, 2006, 04:05 PM
    He seems to like rice. I am not sure about yogurt. I just want to find out what the route of this is. What is gluetin?

Aug 26, 2006, 09:52 AM
    J_9 this is the update from the GI doctor which we saw yesterday. He basically is contributing everything to the rotavirus irritating his intestine lining and causing the problems. He said there are 3 things that could have happened. 1) secondary lactose intolerance 2) irritable colon 3) antibiotics for ear infection reirritated the intestine wall. I really think he was on the amend until he got the ear infection then it went backwards. I tmost likely is another waiting game to have the body heal itself. You probably would know more than I can explain but it is the finger like things in the intestine that he said was eroded away and doesn't digest his food. That will eventually grow back he said. In the mean time he said limited or even avoid wheat, milk, juice until he gets better. Also, we had blood drawn on him and he will go get a breath test to see if he has irritable colon I think that is what this is for). Anyway, again, he acts healthy so he wasn't concerned about anything at this point.
    Expert

Aug 26, 2006, 10:56 AM
    I believe you are talking about Cilia in the intestines. Looks like little fingers or hairs that help the food move through.

If he is acting fine, then most likely he is fine. The 3 ideas the doc gave you sound like really good advice. Keep up the good work!!
    rume Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2006, 06:31 PM
    When I went through this with my child, lactose intolerance and many other allergies, child has asthma with IBS(Irritable bowel syndrome). It took 3 years two GI docs to figure it all out. The one thing I do remember was the smell like rotten eggs no matter which end it came out of. I think it was the gall bladder the doctor said produced too much bile or whatever that was making the smell and causing the diaper rash little one would break out into open wounds scream when she pee, the GI doctor gave me COLESTID give 1/2 packet 3 times a day with liquid to help bind stools. Stools were sometimes green as grass to yellow as the sun, with food undigested to the stringy wormy looking stools , totally gross stuff but happy to say that now at 10 years old my child is doing great we still see GI doctor for the IBS. The one thing that did help was removing all milk getting other brand of milk that is no lactose and throwing away the sippy cups that hold all those germs its in the lids the part that keeps juice from coming out those things have little rubber thing like germ magnet throw them away!! Or buy new one every week. The doctor can write a note you take to Govt to get milk changed to lactose free kind they will issue checks for that kind of milk. My girlfriend is going through same thing with her twins right now they are lactose intolerant. Hope this helps

Sep 1, 2006, 09:39 AM
    Yes it does thanks. He has to go get a breath test to see if he is lactose intolerant. The one thing the doctor said is that he most likely will grow out of it because this is rotavirus related. We are giving him Acidaphilus (sp?) 3-4 times a day. That is supposed to help. I hope it isn't as bad and he won't have this his whole life. If it continues for a longer period I will keep this in mind and ask the doctor. Thanks.

Oct 11, 2006, 07:45 AM
    J_9, I wanted to give you an update on my son since you and others have been so kind to help me out. We had my son take a breath test (recommended by GI doctor) and it did show he has a mild case of lactose intolerance. The GI doctor still thnks it is because he had such a severe case of rotavirus his system is taking awhile to get back to normal. He doesn't want him to drink juice still but is having him drink whole milk lactaid. He thinks in a couple months it should be all over. We are calling him in a couple of weeks to let him know if he is improving. We are seeing small improvements here and there. I will keep you updated as time goes on.

BTW, do you like this knew format. I am not able to get on as much anymore and when I did it took me by surprise. In case there is any discussion on it, I haven't read them yet.

Thanks again for your advice.
    Expert

Oct 11, 2006, 01:03 PM
    Good to hear from you. I have been wondering what's been going on.

It is good you are finally getting some more real answers. Remember, it takes baby steps. One step at a time and he will be back to normal.

No, I do not like the new format, so I opted to change back to the old way. It just suits me better.

Oct 15, 2006, 04:08 PM
    Yep, slowly but surely he shouldbe back to normal. I didn't know you could go back to the old way. Like I said I haven't been on much. When I get the time I will switch this back also. I like the old way and besides, I am not one for change anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dachshund sick [ 14 Answers ]

Hi my dog was throwing up bile and could note even hold down water for 2 days so I brought her to the vet. The vet gave her an injection and it has made her worse she is very thirsty but as soon as she drinks it comes up again. I have tried feeding her bits of food but she won't eat anything. She...

My dad is very sick [ 6 Answers ]

Hey everyone. I just found out last night that my dad is in the hospital with Chronic Leukimia. According to the doctors they said that this is a very treatable disease and that the disease itself is non-aggressive. The only thing that I don't understand is that my father had no symptoms. Such...

Help, doxie sick [ 2 Answers ]

Help, I have a 1-1/2 year old Doxie, Nina. She's sick and need advice. The other day, she slept throughout the day and night. The only time she'll get up is when we took her out to potty. She didn't even get up to eat or drink anything. The next day she slept throughout the day. She finally ate...

My dachshund is sick [ 2 Answers ]

Scooby is our dachshund's name. He is wonderful to have around. Yesterday he started coughing and trying to get something out of his throat. When he does get something up it is just white mucus. He isn't eating much and isn't his usually playful self. What can I do for him?

My dog is sick! [ 5 Answers ]

Hey my dog won't eat he has blissters on his mouth he is running a temp and has a swollen gland and I need 2 noe what it is fast so please help!! :eek:

View more questions Search