Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 24, 2006, 06:04 PM
    Juice is extremely important. Especially if you are not giving vitamins. It doesn't ever happen anymore, but remember scurvy? That was from lack of fruit. Please do not be alarmed, but that is how I remember fruits and veggies.

If you have the "energy" you can make your own juice from fresh fruit. Otherwise Juicy Juice. Juice Huice contains 100% fruit juice. Also, children do need a certain amount of sugar in their diets. Just look and see how much they are getting in the other foods they are eating. Juice is healthier, it is a natural form of juice than white table sugar. I know the program you are talking about WIC we have it here in TN too.

I am not saying that the youngest is following the oldest in the way of loose stools, but it is possible.

The liquid form of vitamins is for INFANTS, your children need need vitamins whether through foods or suppliments.

Let me know what the docs say tomorrow. Just remember to ask if water and milk are enough.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Jul 25, 2006, 12:21 PM
    J_9, they both have more of a diarrhea today. Ugh!

My wife talked to the doctor so I'll try to remember everything. With more research and the way he is being, he thinks he has rotavirus again. Unfortunately, the labs won't test for unless he ends up in the hospital. I may talk to somebody about that but for now that is how it is. He thinks by giving too much water that could give him diarrhea. The reason why he restricted him is because the doctor saw him down a sippy cup. He got concerned that he is drinking way toomuch water . We are going to make sure he defintely uses a cup. We get kind of lazy when he fights us to use a regular cup as opposed to a sippy cup. We will have to change your attitude. The doctor also mentioned that the rotavirus could have wacked his system out and now his system isn't taking well to dairy, especially milk. He said to introduce milk slowly to him. My wife forgot to ask him about juice.

On that subject, how much juice a day do you think is sufficient? He is about 30 lbs.

You asked about his diet earlier. He usually likes PB&J sandwiches. He eats normal food for dinner like chicken and cereal, eggs, pancakes, etc for breakfast (not at once of course LOL).

He is going to call us again on Thursday to monitor this.

BTW, he thinks Joshua might have rotavirus also but that is spectulation at this point. He might have Joshua come in next week and check him.
    Expert

Jul 25, 2006, 12:29 PM
    At this point I would almost be seeking a second opinion.

Have either one of the boys been on antibiotics within the last 8 months? Think very hard on this one. There is a possibility of AAC. Antibiotic Associated Colitis. Basically that means that the antibiotics have wiped the good bacteria out of the colon. It is a very easy fix.

Have the docs done stool samples? This is very important also in actually determining any kind of virus or AAC.

As far as juice, I prefer to give a glass or two of juice with snacks, milk with meals and water if they are generally thirsty, especially in this heat.

Diet sounds good, I would not change anything there.

But as you read for yourself Rotavirus is most common from Nov through April. I would definitely be seeking a second opinion if these were my children.

Jul 25, 2006, 01:47 PM
    Have either one of the boys been on antibiotics within the last 8 months? Think very hard on this one. There is a possibility of AAC. Antibiotic Associated Colitis. Basically that means that the antibiotics have wiped the good bacteria out of the colon. It is a very easy fix.
    He was on an antibiotic for two days when he was in the hospital for strep throat but when they found the rotavirus they took him off it.

have the docs done stool samples? This is very important also in actually determining any kind of virus or AAC.
    Yes. There was nothing found.

As far as juice, I prefer to give a glass or two of juice with snacks, milk with meals and water if they are generally thirsty, especially in this heat.
    Ok.

The doctor said they will refer us to a gas*** doctor (I don't know how to spell it) if this doesn't clear up. This is very nerve racking and I don't want to put my kid through any unnecessary tests unless we absolutely have to.

I'll have my wife mention the ACC thing to the doctor when he calls. Thanks for the advice.
    Expert

Jul 25, 2006, 04:20 PM
    If they have done stool samples and nothing came up then it probably is not AAC.

A gastroenterologist is a very good idea at this point. They specialize in issues like your boys have.

Jul 26, 2006, 01:24 PM
    That's it. I can never remember those big words. He is calling us back tomorrow. We will see what he says.
    Expert

Jul 26, 2006, 02:52 PM
    Keep me posted. I don't always have the answers, but I love to learn new stuff, so let me know what he says.

I am interested to find out.

Jul 26, 2006, 03:26 PM
    Sure thing.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2006, 03:58 PM
    well as the father of a 2.5 year old who has had this a few times I extend my empathy.

it sucks. But the little ones are supposed to build up immunity over time with exposure... but even some adults can get sick with it.

with my little one, the early fever isn't always noticed. Usually we see the symptoms develop through lactose intolerance... a nice substitute for "projectile vomiting". Occasionally we'll hear the little one cry out like he's just stubbed his toe... obviously his tummy hurts, and then a few seconds later he'll throw up. Sometimes the warning is long enough to get him to the bathroom or sink. Sometimes, more than not, we break out the carpet cleaner. =/

his lactose intolerance lasted for three days once, but now is usually under control within 24 hours. Water is good. Juice is good. Pedialyte is good but he doesn't favor it. Sometimes larger amounts of liquid can make him vomit in the first day or so, so we do limit his liquids in term of quantity at any one time. When he was little, we gave him liquids frequently in 5mL portions with a medicine syringe. Chicken broth is good too. So lots of small amounts. Enough to get into his system and get absorbed through the stomach before its upset.

he also had a spell where he was nearly over it and then it came back again with a vengeance. Rash on bottom. Everything you know.

so all I can say is yes, I've been there. Yes, it sucks. But as long as you are getting in some liquids and watching carefully for dehydration signs you'll be OK.

personally, while the rotavirus is really annoying and yucky, ill take it over a high, high fever anyday. I think I aged a dozen years the time my kid had a high fever and we were 30 minutes from running to the ER. Hate fevers.

Jul 26, 2006, 04:32 PM
    Thanks KP. I think the really annoying thing is not knowing. Not to rehash what I've said before, but Jesse (oldest) isn't showing any signs of being sick other than once in awhile his tummy hurts and the loose stools.

his lactose intolerance lasted for three days once, but now is usually under control within 24 hours.
    I know J_9 has given me a lot of info but just for clarification. Are you saying the lactose intolerance comes and goes? What do you do to get it under control?

When Jesse was in the hospital, he couldn't keep even a swallow of water. That is heart wrenching. They gave him pedialyte and he loved it. We were giving him some the first time before he went into the hospital but unfortunately couldn't keep that down. My youngest had it and could keep liquids down but not food. That was good because he kept hydrated.

he also had a spell where he was nearly over it and then it came back again with a vengeance. Rash on bottom. Everything you know.
    Are you saying he kept getting rotavirus? I know the doctors said he canget it but not as bad. This kind of like what happened with Jesse and now my youngest has the really bad diaper rash.

As far as high fevers, Jesse will still get a virus that only shows through a fever. Low grade for 2 days then it spikes to 102. We give him motrin(children's) and it goes down. Then he is fine with maybe one more low grade fever. I know what you mean. It does suck. Oh well, we are watching them both very closely. Thanks for your input KP.
    Expert

Jul 26, 2006, 04:37 PM
    Yes, milk can cause the upset tummy, it is heavy on the stomach. That is why they are keeping him off it for now, or at least limiting.

I can really feel your pain. My 4 year old had to get his last 3 immunizations yesterday and I had to help hold him down, it took me the doc and 3 nurses.

Don't you just wish that you could go through all of this for them? It killed me when my oldest (who is 20 now) had rotavirus on Easter. I really do feel your pain.

Do your kids like yogurt? Mine really do and this can also help with the loose stools.

Jul 26, 2006, 04:45 PM
    Hmmm, yogurt. I think sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. I will mention that. So hopefully, he may not be lactose intolerant as much as just needing to get over this.

Oooh. 3 immune shots. My youngest is horrible but my oldest is pretty good during shots. Regardless, I try to go when they are getting g shots because my wife can't stand getting them or having our sons get them. Yes I do wosh I could get the shots for them. Actually, ike I stated before Jesse was great when he got the IV and didn't even bother with it the whole time until he was 100% to go home. He only cried for a second then that was it. I am hoping he has my mentality to get shots. It doesn't bother me.

I do feel bad for my sons. My mother-in-law was the only one that could verify how bad he really had it because she had it for a few days after him.
    Expert

Jul 26, 2006, 04:49 PM
    Yeah, I am pretty good getting shots, I had to have chemo for 6 months so I learned to "like" it if you can actually put it that way.

Also, I am in Nursing School so I know that the shots do more good that bad, but it hurt to hold him down.

No, he may not be lactose intolerant, it is just that milk can be heavy on the tummy when they don't feel too well.

I liked KPs idea of the chicken broth was it? Warm things on the tummy can really help, physically and psychologically. Feels like a hug on the inside. :-)

Jul 26, 2006, 06:51 PM
    Maybe I will try that. Thanks J_9 for talking this through with me. I think I mentioend this before but we try to give him a little bit of 2% milk now. That was advice my sister gave because her oldest had a lot of diarrhea at Jesse's age and that seemed to help. Maybe because it is lighter? Well, who knows.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2006, 11:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jduke44

...I know J_9 has given me alot of info but just for clarification. Are you saying the lactose intolerance comes and goes? What do you do to get it under control? ....

....Are you saying he kept getting rotavirus? I know the doctors said he canget it but not as bad. This kinda like what happened with Jesse and now my youngest has the really bad diaper rash.
    I don't get the intolerance under control... it just seems to take him about 24 hours to be able to tolerate dairy again, though he still needs small amounts, and we generally will try to hold it back as long as he's hydrating with other liquids like water, juice, broth.

usually he gets the rotavirus, runs the course with puking, then the loose stools for forever it seems, and then its done.

this last time he had a rash on his rear that was much more pronounced than the other times he had a rotavirus. And after running through the general course as mentioned above, right when it seemed he was pretty well over it, it came back hard a second time from start to finish. Wasn't too happy about that.

you know you're a parent when your life is so twisted that you're happy the kid puked on the floor. Because that means it hopefully wasn't on the bed or the dog or your clothes. =P although sometimes its all the above.

Jul 28, 2006, 05:03 AM
    Wow, I didn't realize that this could be an ongoing thing. The doctors told us that either he wouldn't get it again or it would act like a stomach bug. Oh well, I guess that is experience.

J_9, to keep you updated, the doctor called yesterday. There is really not a change in what he wants us to do. We need to keep him hydrated but in small amounts. Unfortunately he called right around dinner time so my wife couldn't ask too many questions before the kdis got rambuctious. Anyway, He will call back next week and I think if nothing progresses he will refer us to a GI. He is having more of a solid stool late yesterday an dinto tomorrow. Well, I got to go to work. I usually work 3-11 but I started a new position and get to work 9-5.

BTW, I know the rotavirus is more common between Nov and April but I forgot to tell you that when Jesse was in the hospital in beginning May they started checking other babies that were admitted and 4 had the rotavirus. So it seem sit can happen after April. Just thought you'd like to know.:)
    Expert

Aug 8, 2006, 10:09 AM
    Just wondering how things are going with the kiddos.

Let us know how they are.

Aug 10, 2006, 07:58 AM
    Sorry for dropping off the face of the earth. I haven't had time to go on the forum lately because I've been very busy. They took a stool sample last week and we are going in for a visit today at 1:30. If anything new comes up I will let you know. In the mist of this Jesse got an ear infection. His stool was hardening up and now with the antibiotic he has been getting diarrhea again. I think he was getting better but not sure what to think now. My wife and kids are going camping so I might be able to get on a little more. These rugrats are taking a lot of our time. :) Thanks for asking.
    Expert

Aug 10, 2006, 10:32 AM
    Well, just keep up the good work, get some rest, and keep us posted.

Good Luck

Aug 11, 2006, 09:46 AM
    J_9, we went to the doctor yesterday and he said all the tests came back negative. He said he had them check for everything and even Rotavirus. We now have to wait for the antibiotics to wear off which won't be until middle of next week to see if that is causing the diarrhea. He still wants limited milk (just in cereal) in case his stomach lining is irritated from being sick. He did mention start giving him a little juice. He didn't want us to overdo it. After all this is done we will start to give him more juice. I actually forgot to ask him about it but thankfully he mentioned it. He still is his normal self which is good. They are now camping so I won't know anything until next week. Thanks for listening and caring. I will keep you update if anything knew comes along.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dachshund sick [ 14 Answers ]

Hi my dog was throwing up bile and could note even hold down water for 2 days so I brought her to the vet. The vet gave her an injection and it has made her worse she is very thirsty but as soon as she drinks it comes up again. I have tried feeding her bits of food but she won't eat anything. She...

My dad is very sick [ 6 Answers ]

Hey everyone. I just found out last night that my dad is in the hospital with Chronic Leukimia. According to the doctors they said that this is a very treatable disease and that the disease itself is non-aggressive. The only thing that I don't understand is that my father had no symptoms. Such...

Help, doxie sick [ 2 Answers ]

Help, I have a 1-1/2 year old Doxie, Nina. She's sick and need advice. The other day, she slept throughout the day and night. The only time she'll get up is when we took her out to potty. She didn't even get up to eat or drink anything. The next day she slept throughout the day. She finally ate...

My dachshund is sick [ 2 Answers ]

Scooby is our dachshund's name. He is wonderful to have around. Yesterday he started coughing and trying to get something out of his throat. When he does get something up it is just white mucus. He isn't eating much and isn't his usually playful self. What can I do for him?

My dog is sick! [ 5 Answers ]

Hey my dog won't eat he has blissters on his mouth he is running a temp and has a swollen gland and I need 2 noe what it is fast so please help!! :eek:

View more questions Search