Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ktuey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 07:56 PM
    3rd Party Loan
    My boyfriend and I moved into an apartment together, but I paid the rent and the utilities. I decided to move out and live with my grandmother when he suggested to rent a house together. I didn't have any money, so he went to his mother for $2,500 loan for first and last month rent, and moving in expenses. I never asked him to do this, he wanted to do it. After 3 months, I decided the relationship was over and was going to move out when he suggested he would move out instead so I didn't have to worry about changing schools for my 2 children. Now after 6 months, I get a letter from an attorney requesting me to pay the $2,500 loan back to his mother. Am I legally responsible for this? And if I am, wouldn't it only be half?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 08:09 PM

Most Judges would say that she should go after him and then he go after you but with the circumstances she may be able to go after you. I would go to court and explain that you did not take out the loan personally, you did not sign anything and that you feel you should only be responsible for part of the loan if any.
    How many months were you paying the rent and utilities? I would also bring up that the arrangement was (IF it was?) that he pay the first and last month rent, and moving in expenses
    So that should be taken into consideration. You might even be
    Better off if you sue him on those grounds. She really should be going after both of you so the Judge can decide the portions each should be responsible for.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2009, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ktuey View Post
    My boyfriend and I moved into an apartment together, but I paid the rent and the utilities. I decided to move out and live with my grandmother when he suggested to rent a house together. I didn't have any money, so he went to his mother for $2,500 loan for first and last month rent, and moving in expenses. I never asked him to do this, he wanted to do it. After 3 months, I decided the relationship was over and was going to move out when he suggested he would move out instead so I didn't have to worry about changing schools for my 2 children. Now after 6 months, I get a letter from an attorney requesting me to pay the $2,500 loan back to his mother. Am I legally responsible for this? And if I am, wouldn't it only be half?

Did you agree to the loan? Was the check in both of your names or just his? I see you possibly being responsible for half. I have no idea why you would be expected to repay the whole thing. If you are sued for $2,500 and lose in Court, then you would have to sue him for his half.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 4, 2009, 08:05 AM

I'm confused as to the time line here. The loan was for fiorst and last where? On the apartment you moved into together or moving back with your grandmother or what. You say you paid rent andf utilities but what happened to the loan money?

Please repost with a clearer explanation of what occurred here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I get a 401 K loan or Home Equity loan [ 4 Answers ]

I owe about $ 25,000 on various credit cards with interest ranging from 17 % to 30 %. I am barely able to make the minimum payments. In addition, I owe $14,000 ($ 500 a month) on the car with 7 % and 3 years to go. Because I have bad credit, I was able to get one bank to offer me a Home Equity...

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

Has the Democratic Party always been the cry-baby Party? [ 21 Answers ]

This is an honest question and I’m looking for an honest answer. Since I can remember Democrats talk about what a lousy country this is and constantly complain about the “unfairness” of life, the “evils” of big business, the never-shrinking scourge of racism and homophobia, and the inevitable...

View more questions Search