Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TTHOMPSONMANGINA Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Jul 20, 2006, 10:21 AM
    Motorcycle Theft Prevention Need A Gps
    Hi.. I have a 04 suzuki gsxr 750 with a lot of extras.. I don't have a garage and I have to park my bike on the street or in my back yard which is very accessible.. I'm hoping that someone can help me with finding a reliable, cheap, real time gps that doesn't have a monthly fee.. I've been checking eBay but there are so many and I have no experience with any of them.. I live on the east coast and lojack is very popular but its very expensive.. plus with lojack the police go and locate your property.. I would much rather find the clowns myself and let the police pick up the pieces.. :) my neighbor has had two bikes stolen in the past 6 months right across the street from me.. I had a dream my bike got stolen last night.. please help because I don't want to have my bike stolen next.. thanks for your time..
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2006, 11:17 AM
    Man, that really stinks... but here's the scoop:

Lojack (and there may be others that provide this service) does NOTHING to protect you from having the bike stolen. It only helps you recover it if it IS stolen.. . and there is nothing like that service that is reliable and cheap.

If it can't be parked in a garage, the only 2nd best way to prevent theft is to lock it, with a thick chain, to something immovable like a light pole, huge tree, etc... but of course neither is a 100% guarantee.

... sorry to be passing along news that's half what you don't want to hear and half what you already know.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 20, 2006, 11:55 AM
    Lo Jack is what you want, the last thing you want to do is be in jail for hurting the thieves ( yes that is what they do, then the thieves sue you for hurting them) Welcome to American justice.

But as a police officer in the past, all of our cars had lojack locaters, it was hard to pin down a moving car but once it parked, we could be on it right away.

And in the end, it sounds like you need to move to a better part of town.
    microtrakgps Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 11:37 PM

There is a new device made by microtrakgps
    There are monthly charges but reasonable. Real time reports of your motorcycle as well as tamper alerts and you can monitor it from your computer. Also has a Bike down to call EMS if you are in an accident go to GPS Tracking Systems GPS Vehicle Tracking Systems GPS Car Tracking Systems to see more about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ear Protection under Motorcycle helmet [ 8 Answers ]

We are long distance touring motorcylists who wear open face helmets with face shields. We use ear plugs usually but are discovering that all day use hurts the ears. I have investigated passive ear muffs but find that they do not fit well under a helmet. I have also investigated noise cancelling...

Repair of 1977 Yamaha XS650 motorcycle [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to fix an ignition problem with my 1977 Yamaha XS 650 motorcycle. There is no spark at the plugs.

Poison Oak Prevention [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I went hiking Friday night with a close, intimate friend and he contracted severe poison oak about a day later. I didn't get any poison oak from this, but I was wearing jeans and long-sleeves. He had shorts and short-sleeves on. So while I most likely did not develop it from the plant, I...

Natural Poison Oak Prevention? [ 1 Answers ]

I tend to have delayed reactions to skin irritants and am concerned about very likely poison oak exposure. (The other person I was hiking with got very severe poison all over his body and we were hiking the same place.) It's possible I do not react to poison oak at this point or that my long...

Motorcycle accident [ 1 Answers ]

I had a motorcycle accident around three and hafl years ago. I lost consciousness for nine days. After gaining consciousness, I have experienced three major problems: 1- Loss of smell 2- Both my right hand and right leg can hardly work, my leg becomes heavy when I walk and my hand can hardly...

View more questions Search