Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nathaneil Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 02:33 PM
    Struggle with envy
    I wake up and go to work at a job that I hate. I live about an hour away, so it gives me al lot of time to think which is probably not good. I can't help but see the thousands of 250k+ homes and luxury cars etc. I wonder to myself even though I make a good wage there are people out there making more money in one day than I will make in my whole life. I work in a steel mill, and they are working in an office. I know that some say they deserve it because the worked for it through schooling. I am sure that could be true for some but others it just feel in there lap. I feel cheated and depressed
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 02:38 PM

I hear you but nobody is just going to give you anything.
    You can try finding something you do like. Try self employment. Try budgeting your money and trying to save more. Some times the trick is learning to work with what you have and appreciating it better before you can move on.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 02:49 PM

That's a shame because at this point in time so many people would just be happy to have any work.Nothing worse than going to a job you hate everyday.Been there more than I care to recall.

You look at those luxury homes and grand cars but you never know how deeply in debt these people may be and how depressed they may be because they are so overextended.

Bottom line is that things don't make you happy.Ask anyone who has had it all(material) and they will tell you so.

Its easier said than done but if you can afford or if you have any credit you could always think about a career change.

If you don't like where you are than you have to change it.

Envy is a totally wasted emotion.You need to try to psych yourself out of it the same way you psyched yourself into it.Its like hate,it just eats you up and serves no purpose.
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 02:51 PM

True many of them are living beyond their means upping their credit to where they can never afford to pay back.
    I think foreclosed homes are going to be what gets people like us ahead eventually. There are tons of people being evicted and not many to buy up what was foreclosed on.
    I plan on looking into that eventually if I can save enough.
    blue_st4r Posts: 59, Reputation: 0

Jan 4, 2009, 04:26 AM

Have you heard? More money = More problems.
    I am not saying that you're greedy, but if you do get to that stage that you're dreaming of, you won't be satisfied for long.

Try another career or maybe learn to sort your finance in a smart way. Try Sorted | Your independent money guide

I know what you are saying interms of qualified professionals like doctors whose jobs start at around 100k+ but yea they basically don't have a life.. Same as celebrities.. no life but big prisons [ their humongous houses where they are trapped]
    compsavvyimnot Posts: 58, Reputation: 7

Jan 4, 2009, 04:52 AM
    What are you so Envies about? Just be glad that you have a job with the resession. Next time you feel envy, think of all those that have it worse than you. Think about single parents that have multiple mouths to feed, working full time just to be able to pay for daycare. People that would love to have your hated paying position. Have a car to drive, and the $ to put into gas for an hour ride. You eat, don't you? Some don't. You have one job and you doing good? Some have to get 2 jobs and still struggle. You're looking at luxury cars with envy? Some look at $4,000 junk cars and hope they can get their hands on one soon.
    Stop your greed nonsense, next time you take a drive, maybe you should jump off the highway and take the local streets, and really take a look around.
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2009, 07:22 AM

I agree with blue_star to a degree. Often the more money you make the more greedy and more wasteful you get, but I also know the other side where you only make $900. A month and your bills come to $600. And then cr@p happens and you have to use the other $300. For problems leaving you no money for necessities.
    Like they say it takes money to make money.

I always tell people that say money isn't everything

Rich person
    Decides get car tuned up before or after vacation

Poor person
    Decides get car tuned up now or start taking bus to work to save up more money first. Vacation--WHAT'S THAT??
    Nathaneil Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    That's a shame because at this point in time so many people would just be happy to have any work.Nothing worse than going to a job you hate everyday.Been there more than I care to recall.

You look at those luxury homes and grand cars but you never know how deeply in debt these people may be and how depressed they may be because they are so overextended.

Bottom line is that things don't make you happy.Ask anyone who has had it all(material) and they will tell you so.

Its easier said than done but if you can afford or if you have any credit you could always think about a career change.

If you don't like where you are than you have to change it.

Envy is a totally wasted emotion.You need to try to psych yourself out of it the same way you psyched yourself into it.Its like hate,it just eats you up and serves no purpose.
    I understand what you are saying. I have found that the more money I make the more I spend. So even if I were rich I guess that I would just be in more debt. Envy truly is a wasted emotion. Thanks to everyone who posted a comment, it helped put things into perspective.
    chrissymarie Posts: 563, Reputation: 53

Jan 6, 2009, 02:57 PM

How can you feel cheated if you haven't put forth effort to becoming rich. Unless your planning on winning the lottery your never going to be one of those rich unless you get up and do something about it. This is America. You have a fair chance to getting what you feel you deserve. You haven't been cheated unless you do everything you could possibly do to get rich and then someone or something steals all your wealth from you. Envy and complaining is not going to get you anywhere.
    ja77 Posts: 250, Reputation: 36

Jan 6, 2009, 03:04 PM

He Who Dares Wins

Only you can make a positive impact on your own destiny and life !
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 03:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissymarie View Post
    how can you feel cheated if you haven't put forth effort to becoming rich. Unless your planning on winning the lottery your never going to be one of those rich unless you get up and do something about it. This is America. You have a fair chance to getting what you feel you deserve. You havent been cheated unless you do everything you could possibly do to get rich and then someone or something steals all your wealth from you. Envy and complaining is not going to get you anywhere.
    You can feel cheated when you work your butt off to make the boss rich and you have peanuts while he is going on umpteen vacations and driving new cars. Life isn't all that fair.
    Sure they own the company or whatever but $10. An hour and you are slaving away and can barely get through a month financially it doesn't seem really fair.

Jan 6, 2009, 03:28 PM

I am young and very optimistic because I am doing everything in my ability to get rich. Everything. That's what I want and I know I can achieve it. I'll never give up. I will get to the top. My parents did it and my grandparents did it and none of them were ever handed anything. It's called having pride and perserverance.

Jan 6, 2009, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    chrissymarie disagrees: then do something else that make you more than $10 per hour. Agaian this is America. Every free person here has choices.

Either you are young and optimistic OR you are at the top of the 'food chain' and don't know how hard it is for many people!
    IF it were that simple I doubt there would be many service workers to do those jobs. Most of them would be out making a choice to work the better paying jobs.
    You really believe there are even enough great paying jobs for the average person trying to get ahead to just get out there and get that great paying job. Do you really believe that there are places that are going to just hire somebody based on the fact that they want a better paying job?
    Not all people can go to college or further their education and even many of the ones that do go to college or a tech school can't even get a better paying job because there aren't always enough jobs out there.
    Most Jobs won't get you rich, its those risks you take and investments you can make and illegal things your willing to do that get you rich. Think outside the box.

Jan 6, 2009, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Doesn't look like you can come up with a specific idea of how the average person can better their financial status. You have come up with stripping, doing something illegal, and investments -which takes money.

You got four reddies on your exotic dancer post so seems to me that others do not see it that way either.
    Here is a specific idea for Nathaneil... Quit your job at the steal mill, sell everything you own except the clothes on you back. Hopefully you'll have at least $10,000. Get a financial advisor who will put all your money into some sort of savings account that will gain you interest... wait 20 years and then you'll be rich. Problem solved.

Here's another specific idea. Deduct $100 per week from your current life style and always and forever continue putting this money into saving no matter what and in 20 years you'll have 100,000 or more! That's enough to get you started to making large investments to becoming rich.

Nathaneil if your main problem is that your not rich then I have just solved all your problems haven't I?

Jan 6, 2009, 03:59 PM

You can always cut back in what you spend. And its highly unlikely he'll quit his job and NEVER find another one LOL. Nathaneil don't be afraid to take risks. Besides I just saw a fat homeless person. At least once your homeless you know you won't starve to death here in the US! :-)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2009, 04:14 PM
    Ok, why did you not go to college, why don't you go to college now, take a few night classes, take some online classes. Take management classes, to help you get promoted where you work.

Start a part time business, what do you know how to do, what would you like to do, take some technical school classes.

In America ( if that is where you are at) anyone can go to college, no one that really wants to try has any excuss what so ever except they are too lazy to try.
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 04:45 PM

Yeah I went to paralegal school a couple years ago.
    I couldn't find a job and went to the schools job placement
    Counselors. They couldn't find anything available either.
    All the available jobs said must have 6 months on the job experience.

They ended up telling me to go to the two McDonalds near my house because they were hiring. I live in a fairly big city too.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 05:49 PM

A lot of people work hard for what they got while some haven't. Take Donal Trump for example. He didn't get to the top over night but look where is at today. The road was worth it so the only thing I can say to you that if you don't like your situation that your in than work hard to change it or buy a lot of lottery tickets and scratch off, hey you never know.

<edit> I wanted to add that money can't buy happiness. Some rich people are the most unhappy people that ever walk this earth and you wonder, why?

One of my friend never worked a day of her life, by the way she is 29, because she doesn't have to. She has plenty of money for her to live two or three life times but she is most miserable people I know. She is always sad and how no direction in life. She never been independent. I advise her to go to school, start a hobby, and stop mooping around because she shouldn't be and her life should be more colorful but no. She has too much time on her hand.

Also, like at Brittany Spears, Lindey Lohan, Paris Hilton, etc Even Owen Wilson.

So sometimes you have to be happy with the life you got because money isn't always everything and it is the root of all evil.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissymarie View Post
    Here is a specific idea for Nathaneil... Quit your job at the steal mill, sell everything you own except the clothes on you back. hopefully you'll have atleast $10,000. Get a financial advisor who will put all your money into some sort of savings account that will gain yoch.
    Okay, let's see the flaws in this plan. If he quit his job he won't have no source of income. So how is going survive? Where is he going live? On the streets because I don't think anyone will take in for 20 years.But I guess he could be homeless because according to you they eat well.

If he put al his life saving into an account and wait 20 years, how exactly is that making him rich? What is he suppose to do while he's waiting around 20 years? This wasn't a thought out plan.

To the OP write down what you what to do and go after it. Go back to school was a good suggestion in order to change your career. Don't ever quit your job until you have a back-up plan because any job is better than no job.

Hope you come back.
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    Okay, let's see the flaws in this plan. If he quit his job he won't have no source of income. So how is going survive? Where is he going live? On the streets because I don't think anyone will take in for 20 years.But I guess he could be homeless because according to you they eat well.

If he put al his life saving into an account and wait 20 years, how exactly is that making him rich? What is he suppose to do while he's waiting around 20 years? This wasn't a thought out plan.

To the OP write down what you what to do and go after it. Go back to school was a good suggestion in order to change your career. Don't ever quit your job until you have a back-up plan because any job is better than no job.

Hope you come back.
    Yes I was saying the same thing in a reply that got deleted.
    $10,000. Can go within a year if you have to use it for bills until you find another job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to manage envy and fear [ 4 Answers ]

I am new to Christianity. I have been wondering if God has a plan for me and why I have so much trouble hearing Him. Today, dawned on me that I am filled with Envy of everyone. It is terrible!! I can barely stay in my own life because I'm so busy looking at everyone else's and comparing. Is...

Very sad over my on going struggle with getting pregnant. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Hope all of you are doing well! My name is miriam and I am new at this and I will be 35 yrs old next month. I am married to my high school sweet heart and we have three girls from 17, 12, and six. Over the last four months I have been trying to get pregnant. I had a pap in January came...

What is everyone's biggest struggle? [ 25 Answers ]

I've been working on a book for about 6 years now. Why 6 years, you ask? Is it because the book is so fantastical that it required 6 years to write it? No, it's taken me 6 years because I'm somewhat lazy and because my creativity comes in waves. But regardless, I'm getting down to the final...

My Best Friend and the struggle [ 1 Answers ]

A girl Janice and I have been best friends. We grew up together in the hard streets of Harlem, NYC.(If you want to know more about the hardness we faced look on my profile and read my previous posts) She has diabetes, a drug addict mother just like me, she's been raped just like me and we've been...

Ear Bud Envy [ 13 Answers ]

Hello: I have these really cute ears. However, they're shaped wrong. I don't know why, but I can't keep ear buds in 'em. They just fall out. I push and bend - and they still fall out. It even hurts, I've pushed so hard. I see people walking around, even riding bicycles bouncing along...

View more questions Search