Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pixiegurl2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 12:04 PM
    What do you do if your boss is taking your tips?
    I work at a restaurant and we get our tips weekly. What my boss does is supposedly "split" the tips we get from the week before to each employee. We have a piece of paper that has all the employees name on it and the hostess writes the times we work for the days that each one works and that's how we're "supposed" to be getting our tips. Since it's winter, we aren't that busy and my boss has been blaming us employees for not having good business due to our customer service. I've been working there for 2 years and the restaurant has been opened for 11 years; he knows that in winter time we're not busy. I work 4 days a week and my tips have gotten lower along with my other co-workers. We can't say anything to our boss because all he'll say is "we're not busy so that's why your tips are low" or because "you did nothing while you were working" or "don't complain because it's the employees fault that we don't have good service." My sister was the manager of the place, but quit a few months ago and told me that my boss "splits" the tips according to who he favors most to who he doesn't favor as much; so pretty much a rank. He doesn't go accordingly to the days the employees work and how many hours he works. She has also told me that he takes some of the tips that we've earned to himself also. None of us can say anything. My boss also has a very short temper and he screams and yells a lot at some of us because we're not doing anything right or because we're not doing anything; supposedly "there is always something to do" when really there isn't. Another thing is that he gets angry when some of these employees who are Mongolian speak constantly in their own language to each other, and one day, he smacked a girl behind her head just because she spoke Mongolian when she should be speaking English. What can we do or who can we notify?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 12:11 PM

You all need to get together and confront him and/or try and find a different job. Maybe you all can start writing down what tips you get if that is possible. If you can tell him collectively that you know there was over 50 dollars in tips and he only split 30 between all of you then maybe you will get somewhere. I don't know but you all need to stick together. One of you saying something won't work.
    Can you have a meeting without him to discuss a plan?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 12:24 PM

Call the Labor board,they will handle your dispute for free.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Me and my boss ? [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my boss playd around a lot yesterday for the first time. I went down to his house for a coffee which was totally normal because we have always been close and I always come and talk to him about a lot of things. We started 2 talk and the topics led to sex / sex toys, He showed me a couple of...

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

Any tips on taking great self photos [ 3 Answers ]

It seems I have to take about 20 pictures, to pick maybe one good shot. I know I'm not hidious, but when I take pictures I look horrible - then I look in the mirror I'm like... what the heck. Any tips on how to get a better picture of myself... Not to mention , I Look about 15 pounds heavier:( ...

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

Who's the Boss? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm the Boss The boss was complaining in our staff meeting the other day that he wasn't getting any respect. The next day, he brought a small sign that read: "I'm the Boss!" He then taped it to his office door. Later that day when he returned from lunch, he found that someone had...

View more questions Search