Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irishteacher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 08:25 AM
    FICA withheld but employer did not pay government
    My son has recently moved back home(Florida) due to being unemployed. He had worked as a bartender in NC and his employer withheld the appropriate taxes. When he went to apply for unemployment he was informed that his employer never paid her taxes to the government and now he cannot collect any unemployment. He has child support payments to make and is having a difficult time finding a job. We are helping him but we do not know how to proceed with this situation. Can they legally stop him from collecting unemployment? He paid his taxes it was the employer that did not .

Thank you for any advice and guidance that you can give us.

Pat
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 04:01 PM

Does he have any proof that the taxes were taken out of his paycheck such as pay stubs showing the taxes were taken out? If he does, then he needs to go in person to the unemployment office and show them and let them try and help to get the benefits.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 6, 2009, 05:56 PM
    A phone call to the IRS is also needed, because failure to file unemployment taxes is an indication that the Social Security and Medicare taxes were also NOT paid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FICA taxes not withheld by my employer [ 14 Answers ]

Hi all, I came to US on F-1 status in Aug 1998. I joined my current company on OPT in May 2000. I got my H1B status in July 2001. Till date (Dec 2006), my employer has not withheld the FICA taxes. I was not very well-informed on this and realised it is better to fix the situation. My questions are...

FICA tax not withheld [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on H1B visa since March 1st 2007. My employer didn't deduct FICA till now. I am not aware of these taxes before. I asked them about it today. They said that they'll deduct from March 1st onwards. On the day of joining itself, I've given them details about my visa status and filled w4. Will...

F1/OPT Resident, FICA not withheld [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have been working under F1/OPT since Oct 2006. I have stayed here long enough and thus considered resident for taxing purposes. 1. However, my current employer, by policy, doesn’t withhold FICA (social security taxes) from F1 employees. So on my W-2, the social security tax box is...

FICA not withheld on H1B! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Thanks in advance for your great service! My situation is as follows: I converted from OPT (F1) to H1B in January 2006. My employer filed for a FICA refund for my OPT period. However, they forgot to activate FICA on my H1B. We just realized it today and they're now in the process...

Resident alien with no FICA withheld during CPT [ 3 Answers ]

Hi expert, I am preparing my 2005 tax return but could not figure out how to do with FICA.:confused: I did an internship last summer using CPT because I am a full-time international student and didn't inform my employer that time that I will claim myself as a resident alien because I was not...

View more questions Search