Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kashumz Posts: 137, Reputation: 4

Jan 2, 2009, 09:24 PM
    What are the chances my hair will turn orange?
    So I have naturally dark brown hair. Several months ago I got Burgundy highlights, and the stylist had to bleach the strands of hair that were getting highlighted first before she put the dye in. The dye faded ages ago, so now I have orangeish-blonde highlights. I want to dye my entire head Burgundy, but I've heard any previous color or bleaching will cause my entire head to turn orange when I dye it. Is this true? Because I don't want orange hair! What do I do if my hair DOES turn orange? I can't afford a hair stylist.
    synthcrx Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 2, 2009, 09:28 PM

What you've heard is not true. If you'd like your whole head burgandy, I would pick up a 6RV or 8RV (depending on how light you want it) color at Sally's Beauty Supply. Then mix your color with a 20 or 30 volume developer (for my hair I use a 30 volume). There is no need to bleach your hair to achieve this color.
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Jan 13, 2009, 03:10 PM

When dark hair is lightened (with bleach), it goes through several colors: red, orange, yellow, pale yellow. You can stop at any of those stages.

The dye (toner) is formulated to counteract the undertones that remain in the hair. The big problem with hair dye is that hair dye fades. When that happens, you end up with close to whatever tone your hair was bleached to (you might have some remaining dye or it may have picked up some environmental tones).

If you dye your hair with a hydrogen peroxide-based dye, hydrogen peroxide can't lighten as effectively as bleach. The undertones of a dark-haired person will almost always end up orange or yellow. Hair dyes are formulated to counteract the orange.

It's unlikely that you'll end up with orange hair. The dye should be able to effectively counter the undertones -- and burgundy is an easy color to get since it has a lot of red in it (a lot of people try to get rid of the red and that can be tough).

You can always do a strand test to see what color you'll end up with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Already dyed hair (brown/orange) trying to turn it into a gold brown [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I dyed my hair last month opting for a nice brown that would show up a golden brown in the sun. However, it turned out a bit orange. The orange is not as strong as before. Probably because the color faded after washing my hair so many times. So my big dilemma is that I want to stay in the same...

Dyed hair last night & now I have pumpkin orange what can I do to get the orange out [ 4 Answers ]

Dyed my hair last night and now have pumpkin orange hair how can I get the orange out?

My hair is orange [ 1 Answers ]

I originally had blonde hair I thought it would be fun to dye my hair a different color so I dyed it auburn brown I liked it but I wanted to be a blonde again so I dyed it back now its orange when I dyed it auburn I waited a week than dyed it blonde please help I'm going to school with orange hair...

View more questions Search