Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    craigbrooks Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2006, 03:09 PM
    Sweat verses threaded ball valves
    I am currently working on a bathroom remodel project that involves running new copper supply lines to the faucet and toilet. I have completed a number of remodel projects that involve plumbing skills including a kitchen remodel and moving the location of the hot water heater. I am confident with my ability to sweat fittings with the exception of ball valves. I fear that I am going to damage the valve by overheating. I am currently using a BernzOmatic TS4000 and MAPP gas. I am thinking about using threaded ball vales instead of the sweat type. Any advice?
    Thanks much
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jul 19, 2006, 06:01 PM
    Just make sure the valves are in the open position. And if your not 100% sure, wrap it with a wet washcloth or keep one nearby. Good choice over threaded, as that makes them easier to position.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Jul 19, 2006, 07:00 PM
    The only other thing I would suggest, as a precaution for the valves, is to use propane instead of mapp. Mapp burns hotter than propane, and mapp is generally used for larger size pipe/fittings. Propane is more than sufficient for the 1/2" pipe. If you use mapp, apply the heat sparingly as the smaller pipe heats up a lot faster than with propane. As stated, keep the valve open and hang a wet rag on it to absorb heat. The valves are more durable than they appear, & I have never ruined one while soldering, with or with out using a wet rag.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper to cpvc threaded connections [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Can I connect cpvc threaded pipe adapters directly to corresponding male or female threaded copper adapters, and, using suitable pipe dope, get good reliable joints? I know there are threaded copper-to-glue cpvc conversion connectors available, but I have on hand a number of copper and cpvc...

Sweat smell [ 2 Answers ]

Sir, I am 30 year old bachelor. My height is 170 cm and my wieght is 79 kg.my problem is that my sweat is smelling very bad (underarms & inner thighs). I know I can reduce the bad smell underarms by using deodorant sprays. Can you please advise me what should i do for the inner thighs. I feel...

Sweat potato pie recepie [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I ned a favour, I'm entartainning a guests tomorrow and I was planning to bbq. I also want to make some sweat potato pie, but I don't know how. Can you help me with a recepie please! Thank you very much, Bye Robert [email protected]

Compression vs. Threaded shutoffs [ 3 Answers ]

How good in the long term are compression fit shut-off valves (for toilets and bathroom sinks) vs. good old threaded fittings for leaking? I have always used threaded fittings on 1/2" copper and wrenched on threaded 1/4 turn valves but in my new install am considering 1/2" compression for the 2...

Verses About Modesty [ 1 Answers ]

Dear friends, I am the co-editor of a devotional publication for Christians called The Daily Grind. In this publication we usually include articles that deal with different aspects of Christian living. In the next issue it is my turn to write an article and the given topic is modesty. I know...

View more questions Search