Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jainonj1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2006, 11:13 AM
    Tax Refund for International Students
    Hey,

A lot of my friends and myself are under the impression that international students on J1 / F1 get a full tax refund. I am not sure if this is completely true. I am from India on J1 and under academic training and hence giving a lot of taxes.

Also, if you have used any professional / paid help for taxes, please share your experiences.

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 19, 2006, 08:00 PM
    Whether you are completely exempt from taxes depends on the type of training you get. One J-1 visa holder who is doing non-profit research would be completely tax exempt, while another J-1 visa holder who is doing research for a for-profit company would pay income taxes, but probably not Social Security and Medicare taxes.

F-1 visa holders are generally exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes, but only for five years. On the sixth year, they are treated and tax like U.S. citizens.
    jainonj1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2006, 08:42 AM
    Thanks Man,

I know that I have to pay income taxes but how much of that do you generally get back as the refund?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 20, 2006, 03:23 PM
    I cannot say. It depends on how much you have withheld, how much money you earned, which country you are from (different treaties in effect), the nature of your work, and whether you have family with you.
    mura2020 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 08:04 PM

I am researcher from India. I am in J1 visa. I am having same question. First 2 years I had tax exempt. Now my salary is ~2166 USD/MONTH. I am in 3rd year. Starting this year, I have been taxed every month ~537USD ( with hold). I want to know that how much I can get refund next If I file the tax return. I am single. I am a post doc. researcher in University. Whether I will have tax exempt under "doing non-profit research would be completely tax exempt". Thanks for the answers.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 28, 2009, 07:09 AM

After two years, you days in the U.S. are not exempt from residency. You must pay all the taxes like the U.S. citizens and residents.
    Only for first two years, you must file nonresident tax return Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ with Form 8843.
    mavsic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2012, 04:50 PM
    But what about tax that we have every day on our purchase... is it possible to refund it... for example at the airport? My friend did that at Germany
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 25, 2012, 05:22 PM
    That CAN be done, but there is a limit on the length of the purchases. I believe only purchases made within the last 30 days can be refunded.
    mavsic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2012, 09:29 PM
    I kept all of them I'm here 3 months... OK hope it will work put

thanks! =))))

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 Students [ 2 Answers ]

Students on F1 visa from Czech republic are not exempt from paying social security tax and medicatra tax on OPT? Thank you

European Scholarship for International Students [ 1 Answers ]

Hey Guys! I am Rey Celiz, a graduating student from the University of the Philippines majoring in Film and Audio-Visual Communication. I am expected to graduate this April and planning to pursue a master's degree in filmmaking someday. I just want to ask if there are available scholarships or...

Benefit of Scholarship for international students [ 1 Answers ]

Can you please give me some points how do international students get benefited by an scholarship?

How to get shy students to talk? [ 3 Answers ]

I am teaching conversation classes to Korean Middle School students. There are 15 of them and only 3 will talk or speak, and the rest are shy! So how do I draw them out to speak since this is a conversation class? If they do, they are so soft-spoken that anyone can hardly hear them at all. HELP!...

International Students [ 1 Answers ]

I have searched a lot of sites for finnancial aid and scollarships all round the Internet. I am stricly interested in for a schollarship in an Enlgish speaking country e.x. USA, UK, Australia. I have also contacted and visited sites of many Iniversities from the mentioned countries, but in every...

View more questions Search