Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gretchenk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2006, 10:34 AM
    Faucet threads trapped
    My husband was changing the aerator on our kitchen sink (because the flow became too slow) and it broke off with the threads trapped inside. How do I get them out? Second question- why after only 6 months did the flow become slow? (We have city water) Thanks, Gretchenk
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2006, 11:08 AM
    Push a washcloth up in there as tight as you can. Keep pushing until you've got material crammed up in there as tight as you can... then try to turn it out.

If this does not work, using a mirror, look up into the spigot to find the weakest/thinnest part that's left up in there - then using something sharp, very carefully pry it away from the edge. If you can manage to break a part of it free (be very careful to not damage the threads) then the rest of it will be a breeze.

As far as the slow flow goes, there are a variety of causes of this, none of which are a worry. That's why they have screens in those aereators.

Let us know how it goes in getting the old aereator threads out of there.
    gretchenk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2006, 08:12 PM
    The end of the aerator was in there good and tight. Hence the breakage. Neither solution worked, although they were much appreciated, especially so speedily offered! We wound up using Lock-tite that we just happened to have. We had a flow adjuster that screwed into to undesired threads. We applied the lock-tite and let it cure over night. Magic. Thank you. :D
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2006, 03:30 AM
    Wonderful!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Threads [ 7 Answers ]

I'm an electrician and everyone says that electrical conduit threads are a straight thread, Our code says a 3/4" taper per ft which I have been told is the same as plumbing threads and that our electrical couplings are a straight thread, does any one know if plumbing threads are 3/4" taper. Thanks...

Trapped [ 17 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have been married for 9 years to a workaholic. I am fortunate enough to stay home and raise our kids, but I am incredibly lonely! Especially on the weekends, when it is highlighted that I am really a raising our...

Trapped [ 6 Answers ]

I have been married for 9 years to a workaholic. I am fortunate enough to stay home and raise our kids, but I am incredibly lonely! Especially on the weekends, when it is highlighted that I am really a raising our kids alone. The past year I have found myself getting my needs met by another man...

Low hot water pressure from kichen faucet only- 1 handle faucet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. My question is similar to one asked a few posts ago except this is a 1 handle faucet. I plan on maintaining the boiler from now on but I have to fix the flow problem first. I disconnected the hot water supply line to the faucet and the pressure is excellent so I assume the problem is in the...

View more questions Search