Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelz921 Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Jan 2, 2009, 09:20 AM
    Married finally separately
    My husband and I are filling separately and I am claiming our two children, can I file now and he file later this month or even in February?

When filling separately do we still have to file an injured spouse form? I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row before I get my taxes done. Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelz921 View Post
    My husband and I are filling separately and I am claiming our two children, can I file now and he file later this month or even in February?

When filling separately do we still have to file an injured spouse form? I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row before I get my taxes done. Thanks!

You don't both have to file at the same time. My ex-husband and I sometimes filed separately and the Accountant always had both of us fill out the injured spouse form, although I don't know if it's required.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 11:14 AM

If you file separate tax return, you will not get Earned Income Credit.
    Also, on separate tax returns, if the children are Qualifying Child of both of you, you must decide who should claim the children. If you can not decide, then parent with higher AGI can claim the children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married filing separately and the 1099G [ 1 Answers ]

If my husband and I file our (MD) taxes separately and we received a joint 1099G last year, who files the 1099G? Thanks.

Married but filing separately [ 2 Answers ]

My divorcewill be final Feb.2008. We have been separated since end of Sept. My question is do we have to file jointly or can we file married but filing separately? We each have a child living with us. He claims one, I claim the other.

Married filing separately [ 2 Answers ]

Before my husband and I got married he owed Federal taxes that we have been making payments on. *If we both filed separately, would the IRS take my refund to cover his owed amount?? * We also have a child... *Can I claim the child as a dependent as long as my husband does not?*

Head of Household when married living together, filing separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am a German national and US resident (filing as resident alien). My wife is also a German national, but as a student she can file as a non-resident alien. For a number of reasons we want to file our tax returns separately. Initially I thought this was going to be a "married filing...

Married filing separately? Spouse is foreign [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was married on dec 28th 2006 to a french citizen in france, prior to that I was living in the us all year. He has never lived in the us and has only french income. What would be the quickest/easiest way for me to file? I've tried e-filing with turbo tax as married filing separately,...

View more questions Search