Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherigeoffreys Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2006, 09:21 AM
    Divorcing, moving 28 miles away
    We filed for divorce in Jan 2006, we sold our vacation home and now have our primary residence up for sale. I do not have an attorney, I am representing myself, my husband has an attorney. I am working on a settlement agreement with his attorney, all of which indicates me moving to central Orange County (28 miles away from our primary residence). No agreement has been finalized yet. I have been looking for a place for 6 months, found one and moving this Sat. My husband's attorney is saying they do not give me authority to move, mostly because I won't agree with some of their financial request's in the settlement agreement. I need to move in order to get my son into 1st grade by the fall and to an area where I can work to support myself. Does my husband legally have the right to make me stay in our primary home?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 19, 2006, 09:44 AM
    I don't pretend to know the laws in California or the details of your divorce and I wish you had a lawyer. Kids do come first and you do need to work. Do what you have to for your family and let the courts do whatever.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 19, 2006, 10:21 AM
    I can't conceive how moving 28 miles away will cause your husband any real hardsip (even at today's gas prices). The only issue I can see would be leaving the primary home vacant until its sold.

I think you do need to consult a lawyer, or at least ask for a hearing from the judge.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2006, 06:21 PM
    I will say this, if he has an attorney and you don't, his attorney will lie to you and cheat you and decieve you to win and get the best deal for his client. ( that is what he is being paid to do)

Normally you can't move to a point where it is a hardship for the other party. Unless you have some agreement as to you not moving, you are free to move normally.

They are going to try and use this as a trick to make you give up something else, acting like you broke a big law or rule and could be in trouble.

If you are wanting to keep custody of the child and get proper child support, hire an attorney, (PERIOD) if you do not get an attorney, and your ex is wanting to get something over on you, they will.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 19, 2006, 07:14 PM
    While I admire your toughness I agree with Fr, Chuck, get a lawyer as they will use your action against you, Be great if you make them eat dirt but it could cost you and your child in the end . Good luck!
    sherigeoffreys Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2006, 12:34 AM
    Thank you all for all your responses!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2006, 09:01 PM
    I don't see how. The divorce proceedings are under way so it's logical to presume that you'd be separated from your husband one way or another. As it is the home is on the market so you'd have to move eventually anyhow. For all anyone knows a buyer could come along next week. Given that it's in your son's best interests to start school promptly at the beginning of the year in what's going to be his home school district I don't think they have a leg to stand on.
    lm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2011, 10:28 AM
    Don't make any moves to you seek legal advice you will kick yourself later

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Nautical miles [ 3 Answers ]

Where can I go on the net to find the nautical miles between caribbean and latin american cities?

Marlboro Miles [ 19 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the catalog (paper or online) for the Marlboro miles products. I believe they have stopped the "5 miles" promotion and was just wondering if you could still redeem the miles.

Divorcing a disable person [ 20 Answers ]

What does the bible and the law in Tennessee say about divorcing someone that is disable so I can go on with my life?

Canadians divorcing in Shanghai [ 0 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to get a divorce if both my wife and myself work and reside in Shanghai? We are both Canadian citizens, wondering if we will have to go back to Canada to file for our divorce or can we get it done here in Shanghai? Any information is greatly appreciated

Honda Civic '98 70K miles, no pep [ 1 Answers ]

Him, I have a Honda Civic 1998, and recently had the timing belt replaced, among other regular service things. 70,000 miles. Yesterday I noticed when I step on the gas there is no pep, like it chokes a bit or just doesn't want to speed up. Someone told me I need oil. I'm down a quart. Does this...

View more questions Search