Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zoey27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2009, 11:41 PM
    Support stopped years ago, what's the next step?
    I have a court order for $500/month but my son's father stopped paying about 3 years ago. I live in California and CSS has been of no help. I must provide them with his employer as he claims he is unemployed yet his benefits were denied. I suspect he is getting paid under the table. I was getting by but I just lost my job, what is my next step?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zoey27 View Post
    I have a court order for $500/month but my son's father stopped paying about 3 years ago. I live in California and CSS has been of no help. I must provide them with his employer as he claims he is unemployed yet his benefits were denied. I suspect he is getting paid under the table. I was getting by but I just lost my job, what is my next step?

Go back to Court with your evidence (not just your suspicions) and ask that he be held in contempt for failure to pay court ordered support.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2009, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zoey27 View Post
    Yours is a difficult but unfortunately not uncommon situation.

You can try a contempt if you want. If the court will issue the OSC dad will just defend by saying he has no job and no ability to pay. So a contempt might not go anywhere (any proof he has income, assets?).

I usually advise that people let DCSS do its thing. If you've assigned the case to them for collection its in their hands anyway until you take the case back. Ask DCSS if they can pull his drivers license or any professional license (contractor's for example) he might have.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    Yours is a difficult but unfortunately not uncommon situation.

You can try a contempt if you want. If the court will issue the OSC dad will just defend by saying he has no job and no ability to pay. So a contempt might not go anywhere (any proof he has income, assets?).

I usually advise that people let DCSS do its thing. If you've assigned the case to them for collection its in their hands anyway until you take the case back. Ask DCSS if they can pull his drivers license or any professional license (contractor's for example) he might have.

Doesn't California jail a parent who doesn't pay the Court-ordered support? Of course, they can't pay support while they're in jail but in NY it gives the parent some encouragement to find a job and pay the support when they get out.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2009, 01:55 PM

Yeah, California does jail people for not paying child support sometimes; but, I think those cases are more the exception than the norm.

I know the guy in our county who runs the DCSS office and he's put deadbeat dads in jail before. But it seems like those cases are maybe under 10% of all cases involving non-support/delinquent support. You have to really know how to put together a criminal case to get a conviction, and I would imagine you'd have to have some fairly egregious facts. The average lady who's not getting her support paid just isn't going to get DCSS to pursue a criminal case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step parent obligation of Child Support in NYS [ 1 Answers ]

I live I NYS with my husband who is the non-custodial parent of a 15yr old child, which also lives in NYS with his mother. My husband is unemployed and is currently obligated to pay $50.oo a week for child support. He always pays his support on time. I know that his sons' mother wants more...

Does a step parent have to pay support for a child that is not his? [ 20 Answers ]

Canada laws please... Ihave custody of my daughter and she has chosen to go live with her father.. she is 13... I have remarried 7 years ago.. I don't work and have two more children to my husband. My ex wants to go to court and get support payments from my husband.. can he do this? :mad: So I...

Step parent child support? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am married and live in Michigan with my wife and her 2 children from a prior marriage and 1 of our own. Her ex-husband refuses to pay her child support and as soon as the order went through for child support 9 years ago, quit his job and became "self-employed". He is currently going...

Can a man after paying support for 15 yrs request paternity and get support stopped [ 2 Answers ]

If a man paid child support for 15 yrs and begins to question paternity can he get this stopped

Support from Step Parent? [ 1 Answers ]

My husbands ex wife is looking for a way to get child support based on our combined income as a married couple. Is that possible? Right now we pay her child support on time, every month based on his $85K salary. She works less than 20 hrs a week and lives with her parents. I am waiting to hear...

View more questions Search