Networking Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 11:39 PM
    2004 Pontiac Sunfire Rev Limiter
    Is a rev limiter needed? What for?
    Can it be taken off?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 01:53 AM

Well, it seems that GM played with different types of systems, but the latest of these will keep the top speed to something respectable and the rpm to something respectable so neither limit can be exceeded.

Earlier models just turned off the fuel rail at a certain speed and would not allow high RPM's in park.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 01:56 AM

Yeah mine is only when I'm in park or nuetral I can't rev past 4000. There is no need for me to because it's not like I'm racing with an 04 Sunfire LOL. But I just wondered the reasoning behind GM doing it! THANKS
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 02:28 AM

Limit top speed, limit accidents and make it so the police can catch up to the crooks.

Limit RPM's. Limit engine damage. Keep engines from blowing up implies more reliable cars.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 02:31 AM

OK, it makes sense thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2004 Sunfire speedometer not working [ 13 Answers ]

I have a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire, and this morning the speedometer stopped working properly. When I am completely stopped it now reads 25mph. All other gauges work fine. For the past 2 weeks the needle on the speedometer has been sticking. For example if I was going 60 and accelerated to 70 instead of...

2005 Pontiac Sunfire. Speedometer sticking [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 2005 Sunfire and the speedometer is sticking. However it only happens once it gets hot outside. Usually it stays stuck at 0mph. Although sometimes it will move a little and end up getting stuck in random places. Once the weather cools down the problem goes away. What could be causing the...

1997 Pontiac Sunfire with too much pressure in the gas tank [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire. It builts up pressure inj the gas tank to the point that when you open the cap it blows off like opening a hot radiator. It also makes a vacuuming sound when the car is running. The gas gage randomly floats to full and then to empty. It will go back to the correct...

2005 Pontiac Sunfire--lighting not working [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire. The instrument panel cluster does not light up, nor does the radio buttons, fog lights, tail lights, gear shift light or the a/c, heater light. We've changed several fuses for the above and this has not fixed any of the problems. What else could it be? Thanks

View more questions Search