Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iNTaYkE Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2006, 04:58 AM
    Is this legal?
    Is it legal for me to hack another one of my own computers?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2006, 05:02 AM
    I'd say 99.9% yes, but can imagine that someone could think of a reason that it might not be... like if you agreed to let someone store confidential info there, or something else odd like that.

What is the situation?

Jul 19, 2006, 05:04 AM
    I just want to see if my other computer would detect it. How legal is hacking anyway? Isn't hacking only illegal if you do unauthorized harm to a computer or obtain financial or other personal information?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2006, 05:06 AM
    In legal terms the word hacking is not used, unauthorized access or wire fraud are some of the terms used. It depends on what the action was.

Jul 19, 2006, 05:07 AM
    I just want to see if my other computer would detect it. Does the program I would use affect weather or not its legal?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 19, 2006, 05:07 AM
    Hacking:
    1. Informal. To alter (a computer program): hacked her text editor to read
    HTML.
    2. To gain access to (a computer file or network) illegally or without
    Authorization: hacked the firm's personnel database.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2006, 05:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iNTaYkE
    I just want to see if my other computer would detect it. Does the program I would use affect weather or not its legal?
    What program are you planning to use and where are the two computers?

Jul 19, 2006, 05:10 AM
    I'm not sure what program to use yet since I'm not sure if they are legal or not. The two computers are in the same house.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 19, 2006, 05:11 AM
    If both machines are owned by yourself, then as NK pointed out this ISN'T hacking and is perfectly legal.
    What app you use is completely irrelevant
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2006, 05:13 AM
    If you are using Windows then you do not need any external programs to see if the computers can "see" each other over your home network.

Jul 19, 2006, 05:14 AM
    But would using external programs be illegal?
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2006, 05:18 AM
    Not if you are staying within your private network - you can do whatever you want there.

Jul 19, 2006, 05:22 AM
    All right, thanks for the help everyone.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 19, 2006, 06:01 AM
    Hacking has many meanings and levels. Generally it refers to gaining access to some hardware and/or software through a means not provided by the makers of the hardware/software.

Hacking, by itself, is not illegal. Gaining unauthorized access to a private computer system is illegal in the US. Don't know about laws outside the US.

Possessing hacking tools is generally not illegal, though some tools are like the ones that permit copying of encrypted DVDs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal sex age [ 5 Answers ]

I'm 17 and will turn 18 on October 11th but my dad is thinking about putting my boyfriend in jail for being with a minor. My boyfriend is 24. I live in California and I know the age of consent is 18 but do you think the police will really enforce this law when I turn 18 in a month? If you can...

Legal age? [ 3 Answers ]

I thought the legal age to work behind a bar was 18 but at my current employment there is a girl of 17 working behind the bar. I spocked to the owner about this and he said no it is 16 now in there U.K, but I just wanted to make sure. Can any one tell me what the legal age is for definite? Thank...

Is this legal ? [ 10 Answers ]

I currently accepted a job where I was under the impression I was to travel out of my surrounding area.During this last holiday break I received a phone call from the human resources that my itenerary would be in the mail.When I returned from my out of town holiday visit.I indeed received an...

Is It Legal [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My daughter is buying a mobile home and land package deal. She started buying it in 2002. In 2004 she lost her job and got behind on her payments. So the mortgage co put it in foreclosure. She paid a little over 5 thousand to stop the foreclosure. Then in 2005 she had to take a different...

Is Win MX Legal? [ 4 Answers ]

Is Win MX Legal? Cos I'm from singapore and the law here is kind of strict.. want to find out... Please reply, it's much appreciated. Thank you!

View more questions Search