Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    formula272 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2009, 04:31 PM
    Pex with or without oxy barrier
    I am installing Pex tubing to connect copper-tube baseboards. Do I need to use the Pex with an oxygen barrier in this application?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 05:06 PM

I don't think so, as long as the pex will not be in cement at any point. Make sure it is rated for the temps that are required. Hope to hear the advice of the other pros here. While I'm at it, can you guys tell me how important the oxygen barrier really is. What purpose does it serve, or is it just a way to sell more expensive tubing. I can't actually see any difference between potable and nonpotable pex(at least not in wirsbo)
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 05:53 PM
    Hi all...

In my area we use FOSTAPEX (or any other 02 barrier type PEX tubing) for heat and water distribution... although more expensive it is FORM STABLE and that leads to a better looking job as the pipe has a tendency to retain the shape it is set in and remains that way.

The 02 barrier is required on all systems that have any CAST IRON COMPONENTS (CI baseboard, CI radiators or CI boilers) as these components can rust from excessive 02 penetration into system through pipes. If no cast iron (as in a steel boiler) then any PEX pipe will do.

Now, I'm not into the chemistry end, but only remember what I was told, so you guys would need to explore this more if need more info. but overall I would recommend the 02 barrier type PEX... if only for the fact that it is easier to work with... in my opinion... ;)

Let me know what you think...

MARK
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 06:10 PM

Makes sense. Thank you Mark. Im always interested in ways to make pex installs look professional. I was brought into this business strictly on copper. Can make a really nice looking install with copper. But the prices of copper just jumped way to high to be competitive in our area. Hence we went plastic. Good to know that o2 will conform better. Hopefully I won't have to anchor it every 6 inches to make it look level.LOL My theory is that electricians can run their wires all over the place, and now we can make our plumbing look like their wiring. As they say, most of it gets covered up anyway, and I can't see it from my house.( I actually hate when my coworkers say that. I can see it before it gets covered, and if it were my house I would like to know that it looks professional even if it is covered)
    formula272 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2009, 07:58 PM
    Thanks, guys!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vapor barrier in ceiling? [ 2 Answers ]

My Kitchen has an old panel typed ceiling which I really dislike and is starting to show unevenness due to the old glue coming undone. Plan is to just rip it down and replace it with drywall. However I have a question about installing a vapor barrier.. Right now it is just ceiling titles, then...

Intestinal barrier [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking for scientific informations about which part of digested molecule classes (proteins, carbohydrates, lipids) passes through the intestinal barrier without being (completely) degraded and would be glad for any hint or/and link.

Moisture barrier [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if a moisture/air infiltration barrier (i.e. TYVEK etc. ) is code for an outside wall (particle board) on a home in Virginia? :)

View more questions Search