Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Jul 19, 2006, 04:26 AM
    Racist Americans
    ----------THREAD IS SOLELY MEANT FOR INDIANS,ESPECIALLY in INDIA-----

You know I just quit my job today, and I can't explain how relieved I feel about it.Used to work as a tech support in a BPO , outsourced in India with most customers calling from america .To a point where I realised that the job was getting way too frustrating for me ,was doing absolutely no good for me, demoralising me completely .By the way there is one thing which I can certainly say for sure --- I THINK MOST AMERICANS ARE *******S BY DEFAULT----------

With some customers using language like " This bastard router is not working, I'll f**k your wife if you dont make it work"
    Even heard of Austrlians, New zealanders being super racists .

I just want to address this issue especially to Indians who are doing such jobs, "Guys common , wake up - think we deserve much better ", We live in our own country and do such derogatory work , such derogatory jobs. Its like living in your own country and lobbying the white man's *** , and sucking it hard and dry .And someone out- there just calls up and uses such language ,abuses us outright - and we do nothing !
    Stop working in these so called MNCs , these so called tech support centres.Im sure we have better things to do , better oppurtunities .
    I just heard about a certain Richard bouchman (apparently someone in the White house) who criticised India for accusing Pakistan of its involvement in the Mumbai Blasts recently, citing we do not have hard evidence ,when the fact is one of the key suspects himself has confessed of " The Pakistans ISi's involvement in these attacks .See how useless these people are ?, and we go lobbying after them , such useless people. We think of strengthening our ties with these guys. "Byall means remember one thing-we are the east and they are the west , and no matter what -the difference will always be there.common , at leat educated indians should not opt out for such derogatory work !"
    Anyway I just wanted to make this one point straight from my heart,and anyway this thread is solely for anyone who has probably gone through the same harassing experience as I have.I don't care about anything else.
    Jay_Jay Posts: 74, Reputation: 15

Jul 19, 2006, 04:37 AM
    Do you maybe not feel that from your post you are being Racist to Americans ?

Jul 19, 2006, 04:37 AM
    Comment on [email protected]'s post
    Are you being Racist to Americans
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2006, 04:39 AM
    I totally agree with Jay Jay

2 wrongs don't make a right
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2006, 04:41 AM
    Comment on Jay_Jay's post
    So true!
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2006, 04:43 AM
    Comment on [email protected]'s post
    Your talk is just as low, u sound like a racist too!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2006, 04:45 AM
    I agree with the original poster - they should stop doing those outsourcing tech support jobs if they can't handle the frustration at the other end of the line.

Oh, and by the way, there is a whole website dedicated to recordings from Australians abusing Indian telemarketers/tech support workers, abuse worse than Americans dish out.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2006, 04:46 AM
    Adityakalekar, can you summarize - in one sentence - what your point is?

Jul 19, 2006, 04:49 AM
    Comment on Krs's post
    2 wrongs don't make a right so true

Jul 19, 2006, 05:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I agree with the original poster - they should stop doing those outsourcing tech support jobs if they can't handle the frustration at the other end of the line.

Oh, and by the way, there is a whole website dedicated to recordings from Australians abusing Indian telemarketers/tech support workers, abuse worse than Americans dish out.
    IMO the problem is that people are very, very angry because these jobs are being sent to India and taken away from there home countrys, which means to a number of people that they have lost there job just because they can pay someone in India very, very, very low salary :confused:
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2006, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Jay
    IMO the problem is that people are very, very angry because these jobs are being sent to India and taken away from there home countrys, which means to a number of people that they have lost there job just because they can pay someone in India very, very, very low salary :confused:
    Yes, that and the fact that many of the workers have a strong accent that is hard to understand paired with poor training that is mainly focused on following a script and not actually having the technical knowledge.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2006, 05:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I THINK MOST AMERICANS ARE *******S BY DEFAULT
    This seems to be the point. That is a very racist comment. There are racists in every country.

It's pretty sad that one would make a judgment like the above based on the bad conduct of a few.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2006, 05:12 AM
    That's why I said two wrongs don't make a right.

He is not right as his racist comments sound far worse then what he claims the americans said.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 19, 2006, 06:11 AM
    It is true that some Americans do get more upset than is called for when having to deal with outsourced tech support. However, I would be very surprised that anyone would make such a threat, especially at the beginning of a call. Especially such an obviously empty threat.

What I suspect is that our new member (note this was his first post) did not voluntarily leave his position. Rather he lost it as a result of HIS attitude towards customers. Maybe the customers he serviced got so abusive because a) he didn't know what he was doing, b) his accent was so strong as to make him unintelligible and/or c) his temper would flare at perceived slights.

As far as Americans being racist because of this, its not racism its simply anger over not getting a product to work properly. I've heard of callers who lose their temper when talking to an articulate american simply because they weren't getting the support they thought was warranted.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2006, 06:33 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Well said scottgem
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2006, 06:40 AM
    I won't guess as to any of the above, but one point stands out very strongly to me.

I get very upset when I call tech support and end up with someone who does not speak english clearly... and I must admit that I've probably been rude with tech support people who do not speak english clearly.

I suppose on one hand I cannot judge the support person for taking the job - and my real anger should be with the company that hired him or her.

In the future I will try harder to not take out my frustration on the techie, but follow up the call with a scathing email or call to the company for their hiring practices... or avoid buying the company's products in the future.

Linksys is #1 on my list of companies that tick me off for this reason. It's admirable that they have 24/7 free phone support, but I've called them a half dozen times over the past few years and have yet to get a native english speaker.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 19, 2006, 07:13 AM
    I'm very high on Linksys support. I've had a few occasions to call them and yes, I would get someone with an Indian accent. But I've never encountered someone that I had difficulty understanding. Most importantly, I've always had my questions answered completely and quickly by the first level support person. And when I have to call tech support its usually not a simple problem.

I remember when I added a wireless router to my network. I got everything setup, then called Linksys on a Saturday morning. Within a half hour, everything was setup and working.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2006, 07:21 AM
    Well I've got a perfect test for them. For months now I've resisted calling them to figure out why my laptop (wireless) and my son's PlayStation (wired) can't be online at the same time.

Up to now we've just lived with not being able to both be online at the same time. I'll give them a call.

Sorry to be a part of hijacking this thread, but I have a feeling the OP will not be back to comment anyway :D

Jul 19, 2006, 07:24 AM
    Does anybody feel that these workers in India are being Exploited ??

After all the West business seem to view them as cheap, cost effective labour!
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2006, 07:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Jay
    Does anybody feel that these workers in India are being Exploited ??

After all the West business seem to view them as cheap, cost effective labour !!
    I believe the other view is that they are getting jobs they otherwise would not have available to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Culture traits of americans [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone know what a culture trait is? What are some culture traits of americans?

Skin Lightening for African Americans! [ 25 Answers ]

Hello, I've been checking out the forums on skin whitening for african americans and I'm confused and really need help. I'm a very dark person due to being in the sun all day I'd like lighten up at least 3-4 shades. If anyone can assist me on some good information, or products to try it would be...

1930 Census and Native Americans [ 1 Answers ]

How was the amount of Native American blood deceided on in the 1930 census?

View more questions Search