Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bosschick Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2009, 11:32 AM
    Preschool children on third floor.
    I live in a triplex. Three bedrooms on 1st floor. 2 bdrs on second floor where I live. 1 bdrm on third fl. There is a couple and three preschoolers on the third floor, which is one bedroom. Is this allowed by law.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2009, 02:14 PM

The law really doesn't say much about how many people are in an apartment. Safety codes might say how many people can live in a place but I don't know of any laws that regulate how many to an apartment.
    If they have section 8 housing they go by 2 per bedroom which would give them a 3 bedroom house.
    As long as the landlord is aware of it and has no problem with it I don't think there is any law. Especially that young.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 06:40 AM

Check with your local County Building Codes office and run the living conditions past them. Some counties mandate certain sleeping arrangements according to the sex of the child and the age of the child. There may be too many children sleeping in this one bedroom and the tenants would have to relocate. The county has the final say so, not the landlord in situations like this.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 2, 2009, 07:24 AM

And so what is it you want to do? Throw a family with young children out in the cold?
    bosschick Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 07:34 AM
    No , that is not my purpose. There is so much noise over my head. The landlord is trying to raise my rent, I just want a leg to stand on.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bosschick View Post
    No , that is not my purpose. There is so much noise over my head. The landlord is trying to raise my rent, I just want a leg to stand on.

So either the landlord doesn't raise your rent or you report that 3 children are sharing one bedroom?

Jan 2, 2009, 07:52 AM
    Have you made any attempt to talk to the upstairs tenants about keeping the kids quieter, at least during quiet times?

While the noise factor does come into play when negotiating rent, a landlord is entitled to an increase when the lease expires.
    angelz921 Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Jan 2, 2009, 09:15 AM

Some cities or counties have limits to how many heart beats per room. I.E. You have a one bed room you may only have 3 heart beats per room. But this depends on where you live.
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelz921 View Post
    Some cities or counties have limits to how many heart beats per room. I.E. You have a one bed room you may only have 3 heart beats per room. But this depends on where you live.

I've never heard of this unless it's subsidized housing (which I believe Nohelp said). Where do you see this law, what States (or cities/counties)?

I would very much resent any Government agency telling me how many young children can share a bedroom - and, for that matter, there are plenty of single mothers out there, struggling, and they make do with what they have or can afford and that very often involves sharing a bedroom.

Jan 2, 2009, 05:10 PM

JudyKayTree, 4 years ago City of Cocoa (Florida) Code Enforcement gave my family a warning because we had exceeded living capacity per room. My aunt and uncle's family was homeless due to the bad hurricanes here in 04 and they came to live with us while insurance issues were being cleared out. When asking the Code Enforcement Officer what the ordnance was about, simply put 3 heart beats per room and no more. This was by no means subsidized housing either.
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 05:14 PM

Yes code enforcement can get you but it is not something the police necessarily will get you for. At that young age and they are struggling if nobody makes an issue of it they most likely wouldn't get in trouble. I think it is all in how you go about it because code enforcement might have a problem with it.
    But as Scott said I would pick my battles and how I go about them.
    Your rent will be increased anyway and what if they get a bunch of drug addicts to move in once you manage to get these people out?

Jan 2, 2009, 05:25 PM
    JudyKayTree, 4 years ago City of Cocoa (Florida) Code Enforcement gave my family a warning because we had exceeded living capacity per room. My aunt and uncle's family was homeless due to the bad hurricanes here in 04 and they came to live with us while insurance issues were being cleared out. When asking the Code Enforcement Officer what the ordnance was about, simply put 3 heart beats per room and no more. This was by no means subsidized housing either.
    Having one such experience doesn't necessarily translate to other places. Such regulations do exist, but generally at the very local level (municipality). Also, such regs are rarely enforced unless someone makes a complaint.
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 05:34 PM

Hmm - I cannot find this code in Cocoa, Florida. Doesn't mean it didn't happen to you, just means I can't find the code.

Who called the Enforcement Officer on your family? My neighbors don't know what's going on inside my house -

Jan 2, 2009, 06:22 PM

The statement was geared towards bosschick checking local enforcement in the home town in which she lives for laws or bylaws for nuisance laws, noise after a certain time, a certain level of noise (decimal), etc. .

JudyKayTree - An older man and woman who lived across the street called, they had a problem with a 3rd vehicle that was parked in unrented home next door (we had permission from owner), as to keep the vehicle off the street, saying we had multiple families in one home. They were always calling code enforcement on everyone, whether it was warranted or not.

There is usually on of those in every neighborhood, someone that has to be one top of everyone's business. I will see if I can locate the code.
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 06:38 PM

Building inspector township codes are most likely what you are referring to.
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 08:39 PM
    The statement was geared towards bosschick checking local enforcement in the home town in which she lives for laws or bylaws for nuisance laws, noise after a certain time, a certain level of noise (decimal), etc. .

JudyKayTree - An older man and woman who lived across the street called, they had a problem with a 3rd vehicle that was parked in unrented home next door (we had permission from owner), as to keep the vehicle off the street, saying we had multiple families in one home. They were always calling code enforcement on everyone, whether or not it was warranted or not.

There is usually on of those in every neighborhood, someone that has to be one top of everyone's business. I will see if I can locate the code.

I'm not sure it isn't selective enforcement of an outdated, obsolete code. Did you check into it at the time? Sounds like one of those "pick and choose" codes. Sounds like a little person with a big badge.

Again, I am offended that a building inspector in a time of crisis tells you who can and cannot live in your home - and who knows what the sleeping arrangements are?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 07:41 AM

I might be the only one but it sounds a lot like you are trying to use your neighbor's misfortune for your own personal gain (lower rent).

If the noise disturbs you, talk to your neighbors or move. Getting them tossed out in order to affect your rent, especially since the noise is from young kids, is utterly reprehensible.
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    I might be the only one but it sounds a lot like you are trying to use your neighbor's misfortune for your own personal gain (lower rent).

If the noise disturbs you, talk to your neighbors or move. Getting them tossed out in order to affect your rent, especially since the noise is from young kids, is utterly reprehensible.

As I said - sounds like Let's Make a Deal. Rent gets reduced and OP doesn't report the "infraction."

Rent does NOT get reduced, it's reported.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Preschool teacher salary [ 4 Answers ]

What is the salary of a pre-school teacher?

Preschool teacher [ 2 Answers ]

Can I get a preschool eduaction degree in 4 yrs?

Qualification For Preschool? [ 7 Answers ]

What Age Is Good For Preschool And Does Anyone Know What Kids Have To Know In Order To Qualify?

View more questions Search