Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    old trout Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2006, 05:50 PM
    Vac pumps
    Just wondering how long do you leave the pump on the condencer? For 1.5 and 2 T I usually leave the pump on for about 20 to 30 min. Yesterday and today I installed 3 - 5 tonns and 3-4 tonnes at a new building . Tomorrow I'll vac them out for about 30 min each. If you don't mind me asking, what's your prefrence and why?
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jul 18, 2006, 06:04 PM
    Though I usually work on window units which are 1 ton or less, I run the vacuum pump A few minutes after I get to 28, then I shut it off. Then I do something else for 10 minutes. If I have a leak it shows up on the gauge.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2006, 09:41 PM
    I work on central systems and I do the same as shunned, I pump it down to 28 or so and then I do one thing more, just to make sure that I have all the moisture out I heat the exposed lines just a few degrees and then wait about thirty minutes to charge the lines. If it is a compressor change out I heat the condenser coils a bit also.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2006, 07:27 PM
    Use a micron gage it will not lie. If you have moister in the system your freon gage will not pick it up. Change the oil on our vacum pump.
    Airwren Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2006, 06:58 AM
    I agree with t-top a micron meter will save you a world of grief it is far more sensitive than standard guages. My first pump I rarely changed the oil, and I wore it out in a couple of years.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2006, 05:25 PM
    Please change the oil often. For more reasons than just longer pump life. If you vac a burn out unit, or a unit that was high in moisture, the oil suffers. Mineral oil is hydroscopic, this means it can absorb water, ester oil POE's are even worse. The pump vacuums the condenser through it's own oil, that moisture boils out of you pump oil, making your pump down times longer and harder to obtain 500 microns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do some fish not need air pumps [ 14 Answers ]

My sister has a goldfish and it doesn't have an air pump in it, but my tank has to have one or all the guppies, tetra, whatever I buy or they will die. Why is that

Air Pumps for Goldfish [ 9 Answers ]

Odd, but I won 2 goldfish at the carnival 3 days ago. I went to Petsmart and bought a proper fish tank (2.5 gallons), bedding gravel, and plants for them. Since my father is the ultimate money saver, he insisted that we didn't need an air pump or filter. I saw the fish gulping for air on the...

Booster pumps and PRV install [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about installation of a booster pump to a city water supply that has 38 to 40psi. The manufacture of grundfos and davey pumps require a Pressure regulator to be installed not to excide 30 psi.Do most cities require or have any codes to support this?and inspect it? I live in a...

Basements/ejector pumps/washers [ 11 Answers ]

A twist on a familiar question posted here... I am attempting to move my washer/dryer into my basement. It is rough plumbed for a bath, with a 4 inch waste line dumping into a sewage ejector pit. Can I cut a tee into that 4 inch waste line and route my 2 inch washer drain line into it? I am...

View more questions Search