Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Dec 31, 2008, 11:26 PM
    Re-Format Time I Guess
    Well, I screwed up big time... My PC is so bad, I had over 2000 viruses on it. If I go to a free online virus scan page, I get re-directed every time to adware places... OR the page says lost internet connection. So, I think its time to re-fromat. I have a windows XP disc with code on it. So, I guess I will lose all my emails and contacts. So for all my pictures and music, should I just drag and drop everything on my external hard drive? Last question, how do I do a re-format? I have my C-drive and another partioned F-drive. I was hoping I could keep all my F-drive since it is just storage, and re-format the C-drive.. Ideas?
    certified_tech Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2008, 11:48 PM

Here's the scoop. Many new viruses will immediately copy themselves to all external hard drives and partitions, as well as flash drives. So the safest way to back up data is to write it to a CD or DVD, because they are least likely to be immediately infected.

It is possible, though, that you will still end up backing up the virus. When the reformat is complete, immediately download an antivirus program. Avira Antivir or Malwarebytes are two very good free antivirus programs. Scan all partitions and external drives, as well as any backup disks you have created for viruses before doing anything else. (DO NOT open the hard drives before doing this. If the virus has copied itself, it will automatically run when the drive is opened and you're in worse shape than before).

To reformat:
    1. Insert Windows CD and reboot.
    2. At the bios screen (the one that says the brand of computer) you should be able to choose which device boots. Make sure to boot to the CD drive. (to do this, you may have to press delete or escape on that screen).
    3. The computer will say "Press any key to boot from CD..." - Press any key.
    4. That starts the Windows CD. You will want to delete the operating system partition and create a new one in its place, then install Windows over it.

After that, connect to the internet and download virus scanners ASAP.

It sounds like you have the resyclers virus. It's ugly, and displays the symptoms you have described.

Jan 1, 2009, 01:06 AM

Thanks a lot... IS there anywya, I can attempt to remove this virus? I have tried Spybot, Ewoot, Avast,SuperSpywareRemover,and Adaware... It does sound like a ugly one... Dont really understand why people create viruses...
    johndoe99 Posts: 167, Reputation: 21

Jan 1, 2009, 02:41 AM
    You really need a good paid for AntiVirus package like McAfee or Kaspersky, there's reasons there are free versions, the biggest being that there aren't any good. That's only sure way of getting rid of them without Formatting.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Jan 1, 2009, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoe99 View Post
    theres reasons why there are free versions, the biggest being that there aren't any good.
    The paid versions of products like Avast and AVG provide additional features beyond the free versions. The free versions are introductory products with limited functionality. It's not the case that they're free because they're not any good.

The biggest mistake people make is assuming that buying the right AV software will keep them safe. You have to practice safe computing. In addition to the recommendations in this Microsoft article, I recommend using Firefox 3 rather than Internet Explorer for everyday browsing; only downloading freeware/shareware from trusted sources; and turning off HTML display/automatic message display in your email client.

Jan 1, 2009, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vingogly View Post
    The paid versions of products like Avast and AVG provide additional features beyond the free versions. The free versions are introductory products with limited functionality. It's not the case that they're free because they're not any good.
    AVG and avast free versions are not regularly updated, they are well know for detecting False Positives. The point I was trying to make, is that PC users should consider buying the Full Versions rather than the Free versions to be safer.

Also mate, your Microsoft Article goes to a "page cannot be found" page.

Jan 1, 2009, 01:03 PM

Im in trouble... just installed a paid version of KAspersky, and it won't even connect to the update site... keeps saying failed... I got a bad virus... Since I partitioned my drives to a C and a F, can I just do the C drive if all else fails?
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Jan 1, 2009, 01:30 PM
    AVG and avast free versions are not regularly updated, they are well know for detecting False Positives. The point I was trying to make, is that PC users should consider buying the Full Versions rather than the Free versions to be safer.
    Depending on any AV program to keep you safe is dangerous. Even paid versions are not always up-to-date, right? I had Sophos installed on the network at my last gig and users still got infections because (1) there is new malware coming out every day and no AV database can ever be 100% up to date, and (2) users do incredibly stupid things even when they're warned not to do so. And saying you'll be safer is not the same thing as implying free versions are worthless.

Also mate, your Microsoft Article goes to a "page cannot be found" page.
    Thanks, "mate". There was an extra character at the end of the link which is now corrected. Guess you got me. ;)
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Jan 1, 2009, 02:27 PM

One problem, even after you may successfully remove the virus, is the cleanup of the damage the virus caused. You may even still think you have a virus due to the errors and unworking elements of your op sys.
    Really, it may be easier to reinstall, in the long run.
    And what vingogly said about safe computing, that's really the best answer to the threat, with antivirus the second line of defense.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 02:32 PM
    you really need a good paid for AntiVirus package like McAfee or Kaspersky, theres reasons why there are free versions, the biggest being that there aren't any good. That's only sure way of getting rid of them without Formatting.
    Bad advice, bad logic, bad conclusions.

John, any factual references you have to offer are welcome, you can do better than you did above?

Knowledge is the best response to an existing virus infection, and good internet practices are the best defense.

To tell anyone the "only sure way" to do something is pay for something is shortsighted (although I do not doubt you meant it to be helpful based on your experience.)

Free software + smart computing habits = safe system

Paid software + dumb computing habits = still mucked up system
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 1, 2009, 02:33 PM
    I'm sorry, but that's NOT actually true.
    Both ARE regularly updated and ALL AV programs are known to produce false positive results, occasionally.

Just because a product is free doesn't mean it is completely worthless.

Safety online has to be a multi pronged attack.
    So you need Anti-virus, Anti-malware as well as firewalls and practising safe Surfing.
    One thing I would say is never to rely on ONE product to cover you, different providers detect in different ways.
    So a free AV coupled with a regular scan with an online system will keep you safe(r).
    I would say NOT to trust these all-in-one security products as there are more targeted (exploits) attacks against this type of defence.
    Fool part of the all-in-one system and the malware/virus is free to roam unhindered.

When it comes to staying safe onlone this is worth a read, and comment if you feel like it: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/intern...ad-281474.html
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vingogly View Post

The biggest mistake people make is assuming that buying the right AV software will keep them safe. You have to practice safe computing. In addition to the recommendations in this Microsoft article, I recommend using Firefox 3 rather than Internet Explorer for everyday browsing; only downloading freeware/shareware from trusted sources; and turning off HTML display/automatic message display in your email client.
    Yes, yes, and YES!

Jan 1, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's NOT actually true.
    Both ARE regularly updated and ALL AV programs are known to produce false positive results, occasionally.
    Just because a product is free doesn't mean it is completely worthless
    AVG Free Update History Logs (viewable from AVG Website):

January 01st 2009
    November 27th 2008
    September 13th, 2007

If you call that Updated regularly, who am I to argue with an "Expert". I've been using McAfee for 3 years now and I go to a lot of Warez sites, and I have never encountered a false positive with it, so your conclusion that "All AV programs are known to produce false positive results" is totally unfounded.

Jan 1, 2009, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire View Post
    Bad advice, bad logic, bad conclusions.

John, any factual references you have to offer are welcome, you can do better than you did above?

So telling a person that its better to buy Full versions over free versions is wrong. I stand corrected.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 10:05 PM

Wow I like how all Posts somehow become an argumetative thread, where posters take the time to argue with each other then come to ONE conclusion that fits the OP best.

Follow the steps that were given by the second poster to re-format! At this point by the info that was given reformatting is your best option. Also backing up your data onto your external HD when you have 2000 viruses is not a good idea just because the liklieness that some of those viruses are in your multimedia is pretty good, so if you copy to your external HD along with 10 viruses then you reformat and drag and drop back onto your desktop BAMMM 10 viruses come back!

If you can, scan with an AV, the files that you want to keep and burn to DVD. Scanning them with an AV right beofre burning them is your safest way of transferring safe data.

After reformatting your desktop make sure your XP Windows Firewall is on and indeed you should install an AV, whether it's free or not SOMETHING is better then NOTHING!

Whatever AV and Spyware Software you go with make sure (if you're a regular internet user) that it's set to daily scan. This way you will protect yourslef the best you can.

Hopefully this is more clear then the bickering that's going on and hopefully this is as helpful as you need.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 1, 2009, 11:33 PM
    AVG Free Update History Logs (viewable from AVG Website):

January 01st 2009
    November 27th 2008
    September 13th, 2007

If you call that Updated regularly, who am i to argue with an "Expert". I've been using McAfee for 3 years now and I go to a lot of Warez sites, and I have never encountered a false positive with it, so your conclusion that "All AV programs are known to produce false positive results" is totally unfounded.

John, a link would be good there, as the dates seem a little odd and more in keep with application updates rather than the signature database.

I have never professed to be an Expert, but post from personal and professional experience. Please reread what I posted as you have handily missed out a very important word, "occasionally".
    Yes, even a paid product produces false results from time to time.

Alos it would help if you actually read the whole post, rather then simply nit picking on certain parts.
    If you notice I always recommend a multi layered approach for improved security.
    Networking Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 11:42 PM
    I agree with Curlyben.

A multi-layer approach is your best option whether the AV is free or not, uilizing a built in windows firewall and/or defender will only add to your security. And JohnDoe as popular and well-used and likes as AVG is I seriously doubt it's only updated once a year. Highly unlikely, maybe that was all you updated it :)
    If you're AV is set to automatically update you will never see an available update list, all AVG forums I've vistied mentioned AVG updated their virus def. every day! The list you displayed is probably how often they updated their versions not their virus database!

Jan 2, 2009, 12:04 AM

Well... it looks like I solved it... (with some help from another website) (And a malware removal tool , I somhow downloaded) Check out my errors...

Networking Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 12:09 AM
    Good For You.

What was meant by saying after you looked at another website, was our info not helpful?

Jan 2, 2009, 01:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeboy View Post
    Well......it looks like i solved it.....(with some help from another website) (And a malware removal tool , i somhow downloaded) Check out my errors....

Glad you got it fixed, what's the name of this other website, it will be worth the visit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yet something else to guess [ 16 Answers ]

Well here's my last one for now... hehehe good luck

Guess who ? [ 11 Answers ]

Guess who is still together after all the they've been through?? Your cheeks . Haha :eek:

Guess What? [ 5 Answers ]

I posted yesturday that I may be pregnant and I took a test last night and this morning and I am pregnant we are so excited think you so much for all of the advice :D

Guess what ? [ 11 Answers ]

Guess what I am 2 days late and took a digtal test and I'm PREGNANT thank u guys for all the answers

I Guess Its Pop? [ 2 Answers ]

A song I heard a few months ago and it was kind of catchy I just don't know the name or who sings it. "Pacing the pews in a church corridor..........The grooms bride is a *****........haven't you people ever heard of closing _____ doors" I know it is not in order but it is the best I can...

View more questions Search