Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 31, 2008, 08:25 PM
    Dog eats grass.
    7 month old Jack Russell loves to graze, and eat grass while browsing in the back yard supposedly to do her business. Bugs I can see, but grass? Is this safe for her to do?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2008, 08:30 PM

I always heard that grass is a natural digestive enzyme for dogs and cats.
    USATODAY.com - Why dogs eat grass
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 31, 2008, 08:59 PM

It's actually pretty amazing, because dogs will eat different grass for different problems. My lab has digestive problems and constantly eats grass.

Cats eat grass too, for the same reason.

The only time you should worry is in the summer when fertilizer is used. We use an eco/pet friendly fertilizer for this very reason.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 31, 2008, 10:12 PM

It is absolutely normal for a dog to eat grass! It aids in digestion. Do not let a dog eat grass where there has been a toxic fertilizer used. Organic fertilizers are best. If that is followed, then the grass is very healthy for them Tal. They will often throw it up afterwards too! That is normal. I would be more worried about the bugs! LOL! j/k!
    rose1111 Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Dec 31, 2008, 10:21 PM

You bet! It's good for them too. Just be careful when you bring them in they might puke up the grass.
    a la king Posts: 121, Reputation: 22

Jan 1, 2009, 04:38 AM

My Jack is 14 and still eats grass (they never settle down, if you're wondering)... sometimes he eats too much and pukes...

It's normal... obviously watch out for pesticides and all that nasty stuff.
    Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 10:16 AM

Thank you all for the replies, as she is still training me to be a good master(?)
    Pets Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 11:16 AM

Aww, she's got a great master Tal, but let's be honest, she has you wrapped around her little paw, doesn't she? ;)
    Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 11:58 AM

All the females in this house do. Wife, daughter, grand daughter, and the dog, but me and my grandson sneak to the garage to play with Spiderman and Wolverine. SHHHH! Here come the girls now, got to go! Thanks a million!
    Pets Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 12:01 PM

You silly boys, the women know what you're up to, you just think you're hiding. ;)

Have fun Tal, give the puppy a big hug and sloppy kiss. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog Eats Ants [ 3 Answers ]

Just wondering... My pomapoo sits in the window and eats ants. I can't figure out how they're getting in, and don't want to put traps out because he's eating the ants, and I don't want to poison him- But can eating ants make him sick? :confused: He seems fine, but I have to keep yelling at...

Dog eats leaves [ 3 Answers ]

Well first of all hello to everyone... I have a male dog which is currently 3 1/2 years of age. I take him to the park about once a week or so... and when I do, he always gets attracted to these type of long grass looking weeds/leaves or I'm not even sure what it is. Looks like very long and thin...

Man eats bacon [ 1 Answers ]

I saw a film a long time ago where a man goes into a room asks some questions and then proceeds to eat bacon. After this is a lot of killing. Help me please!

Replacing the grass in my lawn with eco-grass [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace the grass in my lawn with some eco-grass (a blend of fescues, not the astroturf), but I'd like to avoid using Roundup to kill my existing grass. I was thinking of either tilling my entire yard with a rototiller or getting a sod cutter and then flipping the sod over (so I don't...

My dog is too thin and eats very little [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I have 4 dogs, 2 of which are Jindo's brother & sister(15 months old). Lucy got off her leash last Monday and by the grace of god found her way back home 2 days later, which I think explains the 5 lbs drop in her weight to 30 lbs. The problem is, at her original weight of 35lbs she was too...

View more questions Search