Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    citylover Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Medical expenses
    I had a bad car accident and lots of medical bills for the past year. Some of ithe bills were covered by my medical insurance plan but not all. I have a lawsuit in progress against the vehicle that hit me.

I want to know :
    Can O claim any of these medical expenses that I paid on my income taxes or does the fact that I may get paid for these via a lawsuit mean I am not allowed to claim the medical expenses on my taxes.

If I can claim the medical expenses does that mean I only can claim my "out of pocket" medical expenses not what my medical insurance plan covered ?

Also if I do win the lawsuit my medical insurance company has informed me I must reimburse them for any payments they made to cover my medical expenses. I am aware of that. Not sure if that is a factor re taxes since I have to pay them back re claming.

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 31, 2008, 09:50 PM

You can deduct medical expenses that are more than amount paid by insurance. Also if later on the expenses claimed by you are reimbursed, you must report that medical expense reimbursement as income.

This deduction is itemized deduction. You will take deduction only if your itemized deductions are more than your standard deduction.. You can deduct the amount of your medical and dental expenses that is more than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income (Form 1040, line 38). Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Itemized Deductions
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 08:24 AM
    I would hold off on claiming the medical expenses until you get resolution for the lawsuit. You can always go back and amend the return after the lawsuit is completed IF you do not recover the medical expenses as part of the lawsuit. For 2008, you will have until 15 April 2012 to amend the return.

This way, you will NOT have to declare as income the medical reimbursement part of the settlement from the lawsuit.
    citylover Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 09:17 PM
    One more question on this. What about if I take my "out of pocket" expenses out of my Flex Spending account. Can I also claim them in the lawsuit and if I do will I then have to then also claim it as income?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 6, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Flex account money is tax-free money. If you claim medical expenses on your Flex account, then get reimbursed by ANY means, the reimbursement becomes taxable income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Deductibility of medical tourism expenses [ 4 Answers ]

Since I am self-employed, I have a catastrophic health insurance policy that does not include outpatient testing or doctors visits. I need to have a diagnostic test commonly done for those of us over 50. I am thinking of having it done in a medical center in Costa Rica. The test would be a...

How to include medical expenses on 1040NR [ 2 Answers ]

I am on OPT and in 2007 I spent nearly $3400 in medical bills . Where can I include all those expenses?

Tax benefits for hospitalization and medical expenses [ 1 Answers ]

I work in US on an L1 visa. My wife is on L2. We are both considered residents from the tax point of view, as we were in US all year in 2007. This year, we had some medical and hospitalization expenses. One was when my wife was hospitalized for a few days during pregnancy, and secondly, she...

Additional medical expenses [ 2 Answers ]

My husband's ex-wife is seeking additional medical expenses. In the divorce agreement, it doesn't say that he is responsible for any. There was an addition made to the child support payment equal to half of her insurance premium, because where he worked, health care coverage was not available. ...

Claiming medical expenses [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I am itemizing my deductions. I have a doubt regarding claiming medical expenses. I paid for Co-pay during the last year which is less than 7.5% of my adjusted gross income. Can I claim these expenses in my taxes. I greatly appreciate your help.

View more questions Search