Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JesseJane Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Dec 31, 2008, 11:51 AM
    I was given a car with a lien on it, now what?
    This past August an ex friend of mine and her husband gave me their 1997 Ford Taurus Gl with 87,000 miles for free, and signed over the title to me. I live in Las Vegas, NV by the way. So I go to register the car and find out there is a lien on the car. At this time the girl and I are still frineds. When she gave me the car she told me it needed an alignment and a smog check before it can be registered in my name. My smog will turn out to be a $700 job and my alignment a $2000 job. I stop by her home one day to catch up and talk and had mentioned to her about all the repairs I would have to fix, but in a conversational manner. Later that week I find out that she has deleted me off her frineds list and when I call her she sends me an email stating how ungratful I am for mentioning the cost of the repair and that I am fake and was just using her for the car, and that she doesn't like my boyfriend, real petty and immature. From then I stayed in contact with her husband, the car belongs to him, and he keeps telling me he will try to find out what the problem is and get back to me and he never does. Before they gave me the vehicle I had borrowed it for one day and that day I was pulled over for their registration and insurance being suspened. In Nevada regardless of who is owner of the car the person who is driving is responsible. They told me they would straighten it out and that the DMV would send them a letter and that they would send it to me. Needless to say they never followed through and my $850 fine for driving their car is due next Friday. So that is another reason I have been trying to contact them. So just recently she sent me another email stating that I need to stop calling her husband because they do not want to be my friend and that the car is not in the husbands name anymore and 'the car is your problem, you wanted it you got it'. What am I supposed to do. I have contacted the lien company and they said the lien was around $3000. If I pay that I will be paying off their debt right? Plus the cost of smoggin gthe car and the repairs for the alignmetn it doesn't even seem worth it to me, even though I got the car for free. Since they signed over the title am I now resposible if I have to abandon it, I cannot drive it because I cannot register it and anyway drving it would cause more damage to the alignment. Do I give it to the financeompany. I just want nothing to do with this car and if I have to abandon it or have it towed I do not think I should have to pay for the cost of somehtin gthat I do not even own. Please help me, sorry for all the details.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJane View Post
    This past August an ex friend of mine and her husband gave me thier 1997 Ford Taurus Gl with 87,000 miles for free, and signed over the title to me. I live in Las Vegas, NV btw. So I go to register the car and find out there is a lien on the car. At this time the girl and I are still frineds. When she gave me the car she told me it needed an alignment and a smog check before it can be registered in my name. My smog will turn out to be a $700 job and my alignment a $2000 job. I stop by her home one day to catch up and talk and had mentioned to her about all the repairs i woudl have to fix, but in a conversational manner. Later that week I find out that she has deleted me off her frineds list and when I call her she sends me an email stating how ungratful I am for mentioning the cost of the repair and that I am fake and was just using her for the car, and that she doesn't like my boyfriend, real petty and immature. From then I stayed in contact with her husband, the car belongs to him, and he keeps telling me he will try to find out what the problem is and get back to me and he never does. Before they gave me the vehicle I had borrowed it for one day and that day I was pulled over for thier registration and insurance being suspened. In nevada regardless of who is owner of the car the person who is driving is responsible. they told me they would straighten it out and that the DMV would send them a letter and that they would send it to me. needless to say they never followed through and my $850 fine for driving thier car is due next Friday. So that is another reason I have been trying to contact them. So just recently she sent me another email stating that I need to stop calling her husband becuase they do not want to be my friend and that the car is not in the husbands name anymore and 'the car is your problem, you wanted it you got it'. What am I supposed to do. I have contacted the lien company and they said the lien was around $3000. If I pay that I will be paying off thier debt right? Plus the cost of smoggin gthe car and the repairs for the alignmetn it doesn't even seem worth it to me, even though I got the car for free. Since they signed over the title am I now resposible if I have to abandon it, I cannot drive it because I cannot register it and anyway drving it woudl cause more damage to the alignment. Do I give it to the financeompany. I just want nothing to do with this car and if I have to abandon it or have it towed I do not think I should have to pay for the cost of somehtin gthat I do not even own. Please help me, sorry for all the details.

I don't understand - you got the car in August but never transferred or attempted to transfer the title into your name or insure the car?

I think you should ask an Attorney because I see them suing you or you suing them or everybody suing everybody - for damage, for the lien. Did you accept the car AND the lien? Do you know?
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2008, 12:03 PM

I would let the lien company take the car.
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pready View Post
    I would let the lien company take the car.

This is a legal board - what is your basis for this advice?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2008, 12:40 PM
    This past August an ex friend of mine and her husband gave me thier 1997 Ford Taurus Gl with 87,000 miles for free, and signed over the title to me. I live in Las Vegas, NV btw. So I go to register the car and find out there is a lien on the car. At this time the girl and I are still frineds. When she gave me the car she told me it needed an alignment and a smog check before it can be registered in my name. My smog will turn out to be a $700 job and my alignment a $2000 job. I stop by her home one day to catch up and talk and had mentioned to her about all the repairs i woudl have to fix, but in a conversational manner. Later that week I find out that she has deleted me off her frineds list and when I call her she sends me an email stating how ungratful I am for mentioning the cost of the repair and that I am fake and was just using her for the car, and that she doesn't like my boyfriend, real petty and immature. From then I stayed in contact with her husband, the car belongs to him, and he keeps telling me he will try to find out what the problem is and get back to me and he never does. Before they gave me the vehicle I had borrowed it for one day and that day I was pulled over for thier registration and insurance being suspened. In nevada regardless of who is owner of the car the person who is driving is responsible. they told me they would straighten it out and that the DMV would send them a letter and that they would send it to me. needless to say they never followed through and my $850 fine for driving thier car is due next Friday. So that is another reason I have been trying to contact them. So just recently she sent me another email stating that I need to stop calling her husband becuase they do not want to be my friend and that the car is not in the husbands name anymore and 'the car is your problem, you wanted it you got it'. What am I supposed to do. I have contacted the lien company and they said the lien was around $3000. If I pay that I will be paying off thier debt right? Plus the cost of smoggin gthe car and the repairs for the alignmetn it doesn't even seem worth it to me, even though I got the car for free. Since they signed over the title am I now resposible if I have to abandon it, I cannot drive it because I cannot register it and anyway drving it woudl cause more damage to the alignment. Do I give it to the financeompany. I just want nothing to do with this car and if I have to abandon it or have it towed I do not think I should have to pay for the cost of somehtin gthat I do not even own. Please help me, sorry for all the details.
    Firstly, you were given a car. From what I've read, you haven't repaired the alignment issue yet. And I'm not sure what you mean by "driving it will cause more damage to the alignment." That doesn't make any sense. What exactly is the mechanic saying needs to be replaced/repaired on the car?

Secondly, I have yet to see a title that doesn't already have the lien printed on it. I'm not sure what your title looks like but usually it's right smack-dab on the front of it, so you can't miss it.

Thirdly, you were operating a vehicle with unregistered plates. That's not your ex-friend's fault. You chose to do so. The fine is yours to pay, not hers.

If the car is really that much of a headache, go park it in their driveway and leave the keys in it. It's registered in their name, let them sort it out.

Dec 31, 2008, 12:44 PM
    When I went to register the car at the DMV that is when I was notified of the lien. In Nevada in order to register your car you must first have it smogged and insurance so yes I did have it insured but not anymore since the car cannot be legally drivne and is not legally mine. I have tried to get the title transferred over but because the title has a lien on it that was impossible. The DMV told me the original owner must firt satisfy the lien. The title they signed over to me wasn't even the original tile as per the DMV and when I contacted the previous owners about this issue(was after they stopped talking to me) they said they didn't know anything about the lien, but now that they know they say it's my problem because they already signed it over to me. What do I do with the car? They don't want it back but it is their car.
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2008, 12:58 PM
    When I went to register the car at the DMV that is when I was notified of the lien.
    So it was never printed on the title? Anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by JesseJane
    In nevada in order to register your car you must first have it smogged and insurance so yes I did have it insured but not anymore since the car cannot be legally drivne and is not legally mine. I have tried to get the title transferred over but because the title has a lien on it that was impossible.
    The comment about the car being insured isn't applicable. You knew the plates were expired and you drove the car anyway; that was your decision, not your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by JesseJane
    The DMV told me the original owner must firt satisfy the lien. The title they signed over to me wasn't even the original tile as per the DMV and when I contacted the previous owners about this issue(was after they stopped talking to me) they said they didn't know anything about the lien, but now that htey know they say it's my problem because they already signed it over to me. What do I do with the car? They don't want it back but it is thier car.
    It doesn't matter if the title was original or not. People lose titles all the time; they just go to the DMV and get a new one when they're ready to sell the car. I say get someone to give you a ride, drive the car back to your ex-friend's house and leave it. Just don't get pulled over on the way there.

Dec 31, 2008, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the sarcastic it's my fault answers I am looking for legal advice. To clarify... niether me nor her knew that the plates were suspeneded. As far as the alignment. When I took it to the mechanic he said the ball joints were busted and if I drive it the tire could fall off. The alignment is so bad that both sides would have to be replaced. At anytime that I was driving the vehicle I had a temporary moving permit from the DMV. I don't know if you are old enough to drive but usually if there is something that you need before you register your car(like smog or lien release for your title) they give you a 30 day permit to figure it out. And last of all to answer your smart remarks no, the title they gave me did not say there was a lien on it. It wasn't the original title. I found out from the DMV that the title that was signed over to me wasn't the original title. If anyone has some real legal advice and doesn't want to attack me for asking for help please respond.
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Thanks for the sarcastic it's my fault answers I am looking for legal advice. To clarify....niether me nor her knew that the plates were suspeneded. As far as the alignment. when I took it to the mechanic he said the ball joints were busted and if I drive it the tire could fall off. The alignment is so bad that both sides would have to be replaced. At anytime that I was driving the vehicle I had a temporary moving permit from the DMV. I don't know if you are old enough to drive but usually if there is somthing that you need before you register your car(like smog or lien release for your title) they give you a 30 day permit to figure it out. And last of all to answer your smart remarks no, the title they gave me did not say there was a lien on it. it wasn't the original title. I found out from the DMV that the title that was signed over to me wasn't the original title. If anyone has some real legal advice and doesn't want to attack me for asking for help please respond.
    If the plates don't get renewed, then they get suspended. Not sure how both you and her were unaware of that.

You don't know if I'm old enough to drive? I only have a vehicle salesperson's license and work at a car repair shop... guess I don't know what I'm talking about.

Stop with your pity party already; it's old. Original title or not, a lien will be recorded on it. That's the way it is. The best "legal" advice you're going to get it to give the car back. Short of paying off the lien, that's all you can do. It's not your car because it hasn't been titled in your name; give it back to them.

Dec 31, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Beside all the drama of dealing with these people? Would you pay for repairs to a car you cannot even own? At first the thought of repairing it was fine becase it was a free car and very generous of them. But not only could I not register it because of the lien, but in order for me to get a smog check I would have to fix the check engine light which I found out was being triggered by the o2 sensors, and that is a $700 repair. So in order for me to drive this car legally and safely I would bedoing 3 things: Paying off the lien that they owe to the finance company $3000; fix the o2 sensors $700 ; and lastly fix the alignment which would be around $2000 plus so that my license doesn't get suspended I pay $840 to the court for driving their car when their insurance and reg was suspended. So this free car actually costs me $6540.00 and for that money I could buy something much better I am sure. This is something I cannot afford to do and wouldn't do anyway. I am not going to risk driving this vehicle and possibly losing my license to drive it to their house. What I want to know are my rights for abandoing it since it is not legally mine. Do I call the finance company? I am already at a loss with this situation regardless. I want to be sur eI am protected from any further loss for getting rid of something that is not mine but in my possession. Can anyone understand my frustration here?
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2008, 01:44 PM

Yes, I can understand your frustration but you can get in trouble for getting rid of property that doesn't belong to you.

The cheapest way to get out of this is to leave it at your friend's house. Pay a tow truck if you have to.

Dec 31, 2008, 01:47 PM

And Btw in Nevada if your insurance lapses(Miss I know it all) then your plates are suspended. Their plates were still on the car when I borrowed it. And regardless of what you think you know your answers are totally off base and just show me how much you don't know. You live in Wisconsin the laws for Vegas are very different. Please don't respond if you don't know what you are talking about.

Dec 31, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Never mind already...
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 31, 2008, 01:54 PM
    And Btw in Nevada if your insurance lapses(Miss I know it all) then your plates are suspended. Thier plates were still on the car when I borrowed it. And regardless of what you think you know your answers are totally off base and just show me how much you don't know. You live in Wisconsin the laws for Vegas are very different. Please don't respond if you don't knwo what you are talking about.
    If you're so familiar with the laws in Nevada, why are you coming here for advice? You seem to know all the answers already.

See a lawyer, maybe you'll listen to him/her.

Good luck.
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2008, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    If you're so familiar with the laws in Nevada, why are you coming here for advice? You seem to know all the answers already.

See a lawyer, maybe you'll listen to him/her.

Good luck.

Out of greenies for you so I'll just applaud - <applause, applause>
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2008, 01:59 PM
    And Btw in Nevada if your insurance lapses(Miss I know it all) then your plates are suspended. Thier plates were still on the car when I borrowed it. And regardless of what you think you know your answers are totally off base and just show me how much you don't know. You live in Wisconsin the laws for Vegas are very different. Please don't respond if you don't knwo what you are talking about.

Well, your problems and whatever the truth may be are beginning to become more clear.

So was the car a GIFT to you or did you BORROW it?

Once again I think everyone is giving advice based on a partial story containing partial truth.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 31, 2008, 02:03 PM

I agree Judy, I don't think we're getting the whole story.

She seems a bit ungrateful too. She got a free car, and she got what she paid for. ;)
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I agree Judy, I don't think we're getting the whole story.

She seems a bit ungrateful too. She got a free car, and she got what she paid for. ;)

No, no, it's no longer a free car - now it's a borrowed car. Things apparently changed in the past 30 minutes, give or take.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 31, 2008, 02:07 PM

First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

People have tried to help you here and you have insulted them.

The laws for registering vehicles do not differ greatly from state to state.

The bottomline here is that you were given a car, but the transfer of title has been disallowed because of the lien. Therefore it is NOT your car. So you need to return it to the legal owner. You can pay to have it towed, then sue them for the cost.

Anything else is a side issue that is not pertinent.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2008, 03:03 PM

You were given a car, to get a clear title the lien has to be paid off, so you or the other person will have to pay that lien, or the vechile could be repo'ed.

They would have given you a bill of sale for zero dollars or should have.

Your first duty is to transfer the title, even if you can't register it, but that can not be done with a lien.

Also basically the title should have shown a lien holder on it and have to be signed off first.

As for the smog test, so if you don't want to spend the money or the car is not worth fixing, give it back or just leave it sit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien on a Car [ 1 Answers ]

I have to go bancrupt sometime down the line, but my concern is my car that my mother just got me and I have to pay her back. It is only worth $5300 but she is afraid that one of my creditors will put a lien on it and she will lose her money. CAn she put a lien on it cause it was her money?

IRS lien [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I have a tax lien, roughly $20k. This lien was placed against our house, and a few old rental homes we had. However, when things hit the fan, and they usually do for a reason, and as I lost my job, I had to file bankrupcty. Included in the bankruptcy, I listed the primary home,...

Charging lien vs child support lien [ 3 Answers ]

In 1997 when I divorced I was given the marital house to live in until our child turned 18. My ex's attorneys put a charging lien for fees on my (ex's interest) of the marital home. When our child turns 18 I was to sell the house and my ex had to pay me all that he owes me and we were to split any...

HOA lien [ 6 Answers ]

I have rental property and I have just found out that my property has a lien on it from the HOA association. I have owned this house for 7 years... and received bills and paid the dues until 2005. At that time, I got a divorce and totally forgot about the HOA fees... in fact, I thought...

HOA lien [ 1 Answers ]

I need to file a lien on a unit in one of the hoas I management in los angeles California. This unit is being sold but owner owes over $3,000 in due and special assessments.

View more questions Search