Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2008, 07:07 PM

It's not your car legally as the owners can't give you something which they do not own - the finance company still owns it. Tow it back to their driveway and consider it an expensive lesson after you pay the $850 fine. You really have no other choice in the matter. Next time be a little hesitant taking "free" gifts.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2008, 08:40 PM

Yes, you knew it was not registered or tagged when you drove it that is no ones fault but your own on the ticket
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2009, 10:51 AM

Seeing as everyone agrees with me except the OP, would someone mind throwing me a balancer greenie? :D
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2009, 11:47 AM

Muchos gracias to Judy & Scott :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2009, 01:26 PM

And just to clarify, JesseJane:

Nevada Vehicle Title Designs

Every title design for the state of Nevada since 1996 has a section printed on the front for lienholder information. Your song and dance about not being given the original title means nothing; if it has a lien, it's on the title.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 4, 2009, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    And just to clarify, JesseJane:

Nevada Vehicle Title Designs

Every title design for the state of Nevada since 1996 has a section printed on the front for lienholder information. Your song and dance about not being given the original title means nothing; if it has a lien, it's on the title.
    I think an assumption is being made the lien stems from a loan used to purchase the car. In that case, yes, the lien should be noted on the title. However, there is a possibility that the lien was placed AFTER the car was sold so that the original title was issued without a lien. Not saying that's the case, but it is a possibility.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2009, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I think an assumption is being made the lien stems from a loan used to purchase the car. In that case, yes, the lien should be noted on the title. However, there is a possibility that the lien was placed AFTER the car was sold so that the original title was issued without a lien. Not saying that's the case, but it is a possibility.
    Agree with you 100%; here's where the "but" comes in :)

The OP states that she wasn't given the original title; I assume the ex-friend lost the original and got a replacement in order to sign it over. The replacement would then have that lien issued on it.

Either way, I think everyone on this board is in agreement that it would be in the OP's best interest to simply have the car towed back to the ex-friend's house... if only the OP would listen.
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 12:38 PM

I would return the car to the people that gave you the car, or just have the car repossesed because the car is not in your name.

The problems with the car are not yours so why are you worrying about it. Get rid of the car and be done with it!!
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pready View Post
    I would return the car to the people that gave you the car, or just have the car repossesed because the car is not in your name.

The problems with the car are not yours so why are you worrying about it. Get rid of the car and be done with it!!!
    That's what I told him/her; I got called a "know it all" and was then told that I don't know what I'm talking about... talk about an oxymoron :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien on a Car [ 1 Answers ]

I have to go bancrupt sometime down the line, but my concern is my car that my mother just got me and I have to pay her back. It is only worth $5300 but she is afraid that one of my creditors will put a lien on it and she will lose her money. CAn she put a lien on it cause it was her money?

IRS lien [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I have a tax lien, roughly $20k. This lien was placed against our house, and a few old rental homes we had. However, when things hit the fan, and they usually do for a reason, and as I lost my job, I had to file bankrupcty. Included in the bankruptcy, I listed the primary home,...

Charging lien vs child support lien [ 3 Answers ]

In 1997 when I divorced I was given the marital house to live in until our child turned 18. My ex's attorneys put a charging lien for fees on my (ex's interest) of the marital home. When our child turns 18 I was to sell the house and my ex had to pay me all that he owes me and we were to split any...

HOA lien [ 6 Answers ]

I have rental property and I have just found out that my property has a lien on it from the HOA association. I have owned this house for 7 years... and received bills and paid the dues until 2005. At that time, I got a divorce and totally forgot about the HOA fees... in fact, I thought...

HOA lien [ 1 Answers ]

I need to file a lien on a unit in one of the hoas I management in los angeles California. This unit is being sold but owner owes over $3,000 in due and special assessments.

View more questions Search